Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Class A Motor Home with "mild" Performance 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few snags but she fired up just fine, getting close to test drive time, have to drive it closer to the shop, to do some welding, so we can put the bumper back on ect. he,s proly posting pic,s and maybe a vid..now

Old 10-21-2013, 12:49 AM
racer30
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Got her running today...Starts with the key but No throttle yet...Got to do that from the rear until I mount the Air throttle servo unit. I started rewiring the new engine harness in Saturday and found so many things I didn't like in the ignition system I spent most of the day just rewiring the systems so it would be fuse protected. I put the battery in the system on Sunday and finished wiring the relays for the 12 volt fans and the fuel pump. ran some temporary fuel lines from the filter to the IP. Then I figured out the signal from the Glow plug controller for the wait to start light is a ground not a positive. so I had to change the wires at the dash light for that to work right...With help from my brother we bled the fuel line at the IP and let her rip....She came to life with bunch of gray/black smoke and settled down to High Idle in a 15 seconds or so. Ran her about 20 mins with a few coal rolling revs...in between...It took about 15 mins to get the Thermostat to open for the first time...Had the heat on inside at the dash got it to about 170* on the dash gage. I don't like the oil pressure gauge it seems slow to respond and a little low compared to the one I used for the first start on the engine test stand. It could be the turbo and compressor are now in the loop or I have some air in the line to the sender. I'm not sure but I'm thinking a new gauge might be in the works....Overall I'm realy happy that it starts from the key and just needs the intercooler mounted, belts, charge pipes, Throttle cable and a bunch of Zip ties and anti chafe brackets made. I'm sure I will find a bunch of stuff that needs done but overall I'm real happy with it so far...More pics up and I have a video of the coal rolling beast belching out the black smoke that will soon be cleaned up by the Turbo.. I just need to figure out how to load it up to flikr.... One more thing.. I found out today the tach runs off the leece Neville Alternator so that will be working as soon as the belts are on.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Congrats on getting the beast running inside her new home

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Congrats on the startup! I look forward to the videos!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM
racer30
Senior User
My Brother took the video on his phone then sent it to my email.... Now my computer won't open it..#$%%^^&&* Dam Think Box Any how...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:17 PM
racer30
Senior User
Well never did figure out how to get that video working...So I will do one on my digital camera. Got my Turbo Hat made tonight, got a few pics of it up on Flickr I will get the intercooler mounted and plumbed this weekend. Then I can go on a test drive....

Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its your 1's and 0's box that won't play it, *******...

Old 10-25-2013, 08:10 PM
jonathanpatr
Senior User
congratulations racer30, you are on a mission! And it has been a long time coming too, well done!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 PM
racer30
Senior User
Got my IC mounts made and started on the shroud. I worked on getting the relay for the Intercooler Fan wired because when I install the IC I won't be able to reach it. I plumbed the Fuel return line correctly and tied up the new wire harness. I picked up some 3" steel elbows for the intercooler pipes. I had some trouble finding belts long enough at any of the Truck shops or Napa... So I ordered some off the Web along with a Idler pully so I can get some more coverage on the water pump. Still need to modify the Air throttle system to fit the 7.3 throttle arm. I will need Air pressure to set the full travel of the air cylinder so my 12 volt back up compressor will have to do until the belts get here. No new pic's until tomorrow night.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 PM
racer30
Senior User
Got some pics up on my Flickr page...got some parts for my air cleaner to Turbo pipes in the mail today and I took some shots of the IC mounts. I will need to get the Air cleaner mounted and all the wires ran for the IC Fan before I can mount the IC because I won't have room to work after its mounted....Taking the night off to watch the Seahawks on TV...

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
MPoulson
Senior User
You're like a pitbull eating a tire!
I wish I had half your tenacity dude!

I'd love to shake your hand!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 PM
racer30
Senior User
I finished the IC and shroud tonight....Pic's are up on my Flickr...Flickr: racer30sprint's Photostream

Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
**** is looking great Brad!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM
racer30
Senior User
I got a few things done this stormy weekend....I installed the brackets for the IC and mounted it for pipe mock up so I could get the pipes made and painted. I installed the Intake hat and the compressor belt. The Idler pully will be here Monday or Tuesday for the Alt/Hydraulic belts so I can mount that and tension the belts. I need to replace the Air tank drain on the shift/throttle tank so it will be easer to reach for maintenance. and modify the Air throttle mount to fit the IDI. Then it would be ready to drive down to the shop and weld the rear bumper mounts and battery rack in place. This swap has taken me longer to do than I had planed, But I am still happy with how it's coming together now that most of the major modifications are complete and I'm down to the little things to tidy up the swap. Hopefully I can be driving it next weekend and get some video of the beast. The Motor Home will get the windshield reset and detail and wheel polish along with a carpet cleaning in the next few months before it will be going to AZ. Still have work to do but the list is getting smaller... More pics on my Flickr...http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer30/

Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Moving right along..

Quick Reply: Class A Motor Home with "mild" Performance 7.3