Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Cooling??

Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.
Throttle Body Cooling??

I hate to start a new thread about something that has probably already been answered, but I can't find it.
I bypassed the cooling lines to my throttle body because the nipple on the coolant tee (on the manifold) is rotted badly. I'm not worried about the throttle body freezing, (I'm in SW Florida ) but I heard it cools the EGR gasses that go thru the throttle body?? Is this so and am I going to be alright by not having them? Would it be better to get a new coolant tee and have the cooling lines restored?? Again, I'm in Florida and don't plan on selling it.
Thoughts????

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
Just use something that can be reverted back, if you see any trouble get it back to the stock configuration, but personally I don't think you'll have any problem at all.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
I have been running with mine disconnected for years with out issue.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.MadMatt65 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ok, now I'm gonna feed off of this thread. I don't have a cat on my Bronco's exhaust. The A.I.R. pump puts air into the exhaust for the cat to work more efficiently. Since I don't have a cat....can I do away with the A.I.R pump?? YES, I know all the hooplah about emissions...saving the planet....not polluting the atmosphere.....it's the law.....global warming B.S......blah, blah, blah. No, I don't want to start a heated debate.......just, is it worth the work in removing the A.I.R. stuff??? Advantages???? Disadvantages????
P.S. Florida is NOT going to be reinstating inspections ANY TIME SOON!!! I was told by my sources that there are too many snow birds, travelers and part time residents for the state to even try to reinstate emissions inspections. They said that a "good" percentage of the cars that come to Florida, already have inspections done. And the state makes PLENTY from visitor's, hotel and gas taxes!
(That's what I was told)!!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
I installed a hi-flow cat and did away with the air injection stuff and SP unhooked. Just recently passed emissions with flying colors. the new hi flow cats dont require the fresh air pumped in like the stock cat did. Summit sells a smog delete for the 5.0 which is supposed to also fit the 5.8 if you have that motor. Leave the EGR in place of course as there is no benifit to removing and will only throw a code. you will also need to keep the wiring harness plugged into the TAB/TAD sensors, just leave vac lines unhooked from those. and plugged on the other end if any route to intake.

with that said if you ever sell the vehicle or move to a different state all said hardware will need to be on the vehicle and in working order if visual inspection occurs.

mine will be parted out before i ever actually sell it.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Thanks Kemical!! This will probably be my last vehicle (for me). I'll make a buggy out of before I sell it. I'm still looking for a 78 or 79 Bronco or F150. (down the road!) Just wanted straight answers about the AIR system. I've heard that the smog delete pulley will work on the 5.8 I'll invest in one here in the near future. It will sure make these JBA headers look good once I get them installed. (I mean what good are stainless headers if you can't see them!) I guess that will be part of the header installation project!!