Sponsored by: Moser

What's that odor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 AM
OldMasterTech
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's that odor?

I wasn't going to mention this until I/we noticed the same smell...my wife's Edge (36,000 miles) and my F150 (10,000 miles) both have an identical occasional odor that seems to be air conditioner or air system related. We can't recall smelling it during the past winter but it sure is prevalent this summer.

The odor appears then fades quickly, seems stronger during braking but is unrelated to brake system odors. We each spend an average of two hours a day in our vehicles and notice the odor daily, sometimes multiple occurrences.

Also at a loss to accurately describe the odor, maybe stale burnt coffee?, cheap lousy perfume?, tough as it is an unfamiliar odor (so you guys know it isn't me).

Anyone else experience this?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Horse Doctor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe what you are smelling is the result of condensation remaining in the system which allows growth of mold and/or bacteria in the system during periods of non-use.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been two times in the last year, both with A/C on, when a strong chemical smell filled the cab of my truck. Can't even describe it, but my body was telling me this is really bad stuff to breathe. I rolled down the windows and there was no smell outside. Lasted for a minute or or two each time.

There also has been many times when a bad smell like burnt brakes filled the cab. Again, rolled down the windows and no smell outside. Each time there has been somewhat suspicious vehicles in front of me so I chalked it up to them giving off the odor. But I've had that smell tons more often with this new truck than when driving any other vehicle I've owned. Coincidence???

Old 08-10-2013, 11:08 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have smelled the musty smell from having the AC on recirculate for a long time then shutting it off and going back to the vent...but never a burnt smell etc. (non of these smells so far with the new truck)

Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 AM
OldMasterTech
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
There have been two times in the last year, both with A/C on, when a strong chemical smell filled the cab of my truck. Can't even describe it, but my body was telling me this is really bad stuff to breathe. I rolled down the windows and there was no smell outside. Lasted for a minute or or two each time.

There also has been many times when a bad smell like burnt brakes filled the cab. Again, rolled down the windows and no smell outside. Each time there has been somewhat suspicious vehicles in front of me so I chalked it up to them giving off the odor. But I've had that smell tons more often with this new truck than when driving any other vehicle I've owned. Coincidence???
Your description is right on - we also suspected other vehicles but it is unlikely that they all have the same odor.

I'll start documenting the conditions to see if I can get closer to the source. As you point out, anything that smells like that can't be good for you!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 AM
OldMasterTech
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Horse Doctor
I believe what you are smelling is the result of condensation remaining in the system which allows growth of mold and/or bacteria in the system during periods of non-use.
Typically that musty smell would be strongest when turning on the AC, then fading during use. This odor comes in strong surges when you least expect it, could be 30 minutes after start-up, then quickly fades to normal with no trace left.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 AM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has you or your wife's vehicles had any issue with the A/C, such as needing recharged? if so it could possibly be your evaporator has a very small leak and you are smelling the refrigerant. Just a thought, i was told that may be a tell tale sign when i was trying to find a leak in my A/C system. Thankfully it was just the condenser and i didn't have to teat apart the dash.

I would find it to be a very rare chance that both of your A/C systems have a leak in the same spot at the same time but stranger things have happened i suppose.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the odor smell like propane gas or something similar. Our Edge gave off a funny odor when the AWD engaged. I never understood it and don't have a clue where it came from, but the smell only occurred when we believed the car to be activating the all-wheel drive.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi folks!

If something smells funny in your truck, I suggest swinging by the dealer so they can get a whiff and check things out. Let me know how your visit goes; if you need any assistance following your appointment, reach out to me via PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Crystal