6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

5TH WHEEL TRAVEL TRAILER FOR SHORT BED???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:36 AM
2piecespecial
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5TH WHEEL TRAVEL TRAILER FOR SHORT BED???

I am starting to look for 5th wheel TT for my F-250 CCSB pretty soon and would like some feedback from those with experience with the short beds. I have seen a 5th wheel that actually sits over the cab without any clearance issue. Anyway, your input would be much appreciated.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
It all depends on the pin box set-up of the particular 5th wheel and the hitch set-up. You might need a sliding hitch, you might not. I have a B&W Companion (non-slider) and absolutely love it. I also have never had an issue backing up my fiver ever. I have only talked with one individual that had a CCSB '11 or newer that had a problem and you could see his pin box was recessed back into the trailer. It was an older fiver and it hit the truck quite easily.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
It all depends on the pin box set-up of the particular 5th wheel and the hitch set-up. You might need a sliding hitch, you might not. I have a B&W Companion (non-slider) and absolutely love it. I also have never had an issue backing up my fiver ever. I have only talked with one individual that had a CCSB '11 or newer that had a problem and you could see his pin box was recessed back into the trailer. It was an older fiver and it hit the truck quite easily.

X2

I had to slide my pin box out to get the trailer far enough away from the truck (and increase the cali lean ). It could have easily hit the truck where it was at. You can see where the pin box was when I got the trailer and where it is now in this pic. (ignore the gooseneck conversion )

Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Cajuncru
New User
I have an Alpine and with the new curvature design of the front cap, no trouble at all with clearance in my 250 short bed.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2001 Sunnybrook 5er, and the pin box hangs out in front pretty well. No problems at all. A friend has an older 37' Prairie Schooner 5er that has its pin box tucked way back under the squared-off overhang, and even with a long-bed truck he's beat up the corners of the overhang on the toolbox he used to have back there. He's convinced you really can't have a 5er without a slider hitch, but mine came with a gooseneck adapter, and I couldn't be happier. I don't know why any of them ever have anything other than goosenecks, really, but maybe the kingpin setup is required for really heavy stuff. Mine is only a 23 footer.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
2piecespecial
Senior User
Thanks guys for all the replies/input. I'm on the fence about a slider. I will know more once I look at some 5th wheel TTs. As far as size, what do you guys recommend, It's only me and a friend who will be travelling so Room isn't a huge priority. We do want to be comfortable but I don't want an overkill in size.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2piecespecial
Thanks guys for all the replies/input. I'm on the fence about a slider. I will know more once I look at some 5th wheel TTs. As far as size, what do you guys recommend, It's only me and a friend who will be travelling so Room isn't a huge priority. We do want to be comfortable but I don't want an overkill in size.
It all depends on how friendly you and your friend are, LOL.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM
SurryGent
New User
I have a CURT R16 Roller 5th wheel hitch. Very easy to operate after the learning curve. Very well built with out a big $ cost. Purchased on line with free shipping. I am vary pleased with the set up. I own a 33 Ft. 5er, it pulls easy and has a lot of room. Only problem I have is that the cost of fuel has reduced the amount of travel.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't want to limit myself when I got the 1st 5th wheel and glad I didn't as the subsequent one needed the slider...

And once you have it, you have it so my superslider has followed the trucks I bought...

One issue you have to think about is pin weight over your rear axle and GCWR for YOUR particular truck ...

you said "F-250 CCSB " what year ? assume srw - what gvwr ?

The 1st rv we got overwhelmed our f-250 even WITH bags - so do your research...

Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2007 Denali 5th wheel will hit my cab if I turn to approx. 75°. I've touched the cab twice trying to turn around in fuel stations.

It's like mentioned earlier, it really has to do with how the pinbox and nose of the camper are designed. Some manufacturers do a real good job of designing a nose of a camper that will stay away from your cab if you don't have a slider hitch.

I use mine because its just easier to hook up and make a tight turn with the hitch slid back. I believe I could live without it though, just takes a little more effort and planning.

In my opinion, any floor plan you like in a 34' or shorter camper should be a pretty safe guideline for staying within an f250/350srw. I would consider a dually for a 36' or larger.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
you said "F-250 CCSB " what year ? assume srw
No such thing as an F250 DRW...

Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
His garage says his truck is a 2011.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
His garage says his truck is a 2011.
But it also says its a RCLB.... so he musta got a new one.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
n6nfg
Senior User
Ok, speaking from experience (having broken out the back window of the cab once..), a sliding hitch is not necessarily a safe bet for those trailers that may contact the truck on tight turns. They only work when you remember to slide them back

I traveled with some friends, got home, got out of my routine, and went to put the trailer away after 3 hours of BS, and of course forgot to slide the hitch back. I normally would have slid it when I first got home, but as I say, was out of my routine.

Right after that, I converted the trailer side to a 5th Airborne sidewinder, removed the slider mechanism from the truck, and never looked back again. These sidewinders are a bit pricey, but are really fool proof from having to remember anything. Just drive and don't worry about it anymore.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
A lot of the new fifth wheels have a shape on the front that allows really tight turns with a short bed. I have a 2011 Keystone Montana, and I haven't had to use my slider since I bought it. I have to make some pretty tight turns in my yard when parking, and haven't gotten close to the cab. I don't feel confident enough to get rid of the slider though.

Quick Reply: 5TH WHEEL TRAVEL TRAILER FOR SHORT BED???