AE Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AE Newbie

Good afternoon all,

Just got my Auto Enginuity in from Riffraff.....Man, that was fast service! Ordered it and in half an hour it was shipping! AWESOME. I deal with alot of companies for parts in our business.....NOBODY ships like that. Kudos to Clay and Riffraff crew.
Got the AE installed on laptop, got it connected, verified that the Ford pack was activated and started getting data. HAve to run the family to pick up a rental car for a trip they will be taking. We have had issues with the X bucking, hesitating and such while driving. Found the driver side UVCH very loose. snugged up the plugs on both sides and did the 50 Cent Mod. I have intermittent SES lights. They usually deal with the Engine Oil Temp High- I have replaced the sensor- and another simple one.....need to pull the codes off of the Auto-Zone scanner. Anywho, the SES light will go out with no warning....I am guessing I have a wire/wires shorting somewhere. I would like to have the X hooked up to the AE for the drive today and for the rest of the week. What should I be monitoring? I know that there are step by step/ AE 101 threads, which I will peruse later today, but was just looking for some advice in the short term. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM
01PS
Elder User
Pull the codes with AE. The Autozone scanner will not pull codes on 7.3s.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Since you have an Excursion, there is a real good chance that you will have some freeze frame data. Take a screen shot when your codes are pulled and post the info here. With freeze frame data, we can see what some of the other PIDs are at the very moment the fault was detected. It goes a long way to help diagnostics and trouble shooting stuff.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93118894@N06/9456577346/
The above is a pic of the AE main page. ( You can click on it and it will take you to Flickr)

Have a video that is uploading to Flickr. Shows the AE live page and you can hear what the X is doing. Might have to reduce the quality on a new video attempt.....this one is 176 MB for a two minute video.....dark outside now.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Good info. Now clear the codes and drive the truck with AE connected. Select engine oil temp in two of the live data windows. Configure one to show in degrees and the other to show in volts. Write down or record the values at KOEO, first start and while driving. If the MIL illuminates again, then look and see if the freeze frame data is the same.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Good info. Now clear the codes and drive the truck with AE connected. Select engine oil temp in two of the live data windows. Configure one to show in degrees and the other to show in volts. Write down or record the values at KOEO, first start and while driving. If the MIL illuminates again, then look and see if the freeze frame data is the same.
Will do in the AM. Will convince my business partner with a 6.0, fresh headgasket after the Black Diamond one took a poop after two weeks, to ride in the X so I can gather more data. Or he can follow me as I belch out puffs of black smoke when the X decides to misbehave...LOL

Here is the link to the video. There is a spot for a minute in the middle where it runs OK....just wait. At the end you can see the black smoke puff after the X sputters/revs up. It does not show up well on the video.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93118894@N06/9453745185/

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
KOEO test, KOER test, CCT, Buzz test, and check the EBP, MAP, and BARO with KOEO. These basic tests can put you on the path before you leave the driveway.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
KOEO test (IMG_00000183 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) , KOER test (IMG_00000188 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , CCT ( IMG_00000193 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) , Buzz test (
all injectors sounded healthy...ran this at the dealer a couple of months ago, same sounds) , and check the EBP, MAP, and BARO with KOEO ( IMG_00000182 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) . These basic tests can put you on the path before you leave the driveway.

Take a look, Flickr pics are in parenthesis.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Your MAP says you live in Denver and your EBP says you live in Death Valley. You have sensor issues for sure.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
LOL.....well I guess I can sleep with that.....Will revisit this tomorrow. Thanks for info!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I hear a bad hole that intermittently fires. I once did a little experiment (by accident) that showed me when the truck was bad and when it was fixed:

I had to get the exhaust out the garage, so I put one of those foil dryer exhaust hoses on my 4" exhaust pipe (it fits perfectly) and ran the hose out the door. The hose was shaking violently at idle, and I worked on my issue until the hose just vibrated.

Plug in your truck and get it warm. Hook up your AE and record the following:
  • Cylinder Rotational Velocity #1 through #8 (all eight on the screen).
  • Engine Oil Temperature.
  • Get the engine oil up to 150 degrees and you will start to see Perdels on your cylinders.
That should tell you which hole isn't whole. It might be number 8... it might not.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I hear a bad hole that intermittently fires. I once did a little experiment (by accident) that showed me when the truck was bad and when it was fixed:

I had to get the exhaust out the garage, so I put one of those foil dryer exhaust hoses on my 4" exhaust pipe (it fits perfectly) and ran the hose out the door. The hose was shaking violently at idle, and I worked on my issue until the hose just vibrated.

Plug in your truck and get it warm. Hook up your AE and record the following:
  • Cylinder Rotational Velocity #1 through #8 (all eight on the screen).
  • Engine Oil Temperature.
  • Get the engine oil up to 150 degrees and you will start to see Perdels on your cylinders.
That should tell you which hole isn't whole. It might be number 8... it might not.

( http://www.flickr.com/photos/93118894@N06/9457497925/) Pic of what you requested above. Had to just start the X and let her warm up. The block heater cord needs to be replaced.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User

Here is what it looks like before I go anywhere.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93118894@N06/9460280362/
I drove it an hour today and it only hiccuped slightly. Will take more pics of the oil temps as I drive home. SES light is still out...... I have a sneaking suspicion that I have a issue with a wire harness somewhere. Sometimes the SES light will go off after I hit a good bump.....very intermitant. Just like I have an issue with the High Oil Reservoir Temp....I have replaced the sensor and it still comes back. At least I have the AE software and knowledgeable guys to help chase the batch of Gremlins out! Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Hoosier 7.3
Junior User
No codes/SES light thrown yet...plenty of reving/romping when I started her up at the jobsite. See video link;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93118894@N06/9461216454/
let it go on for a bit and then I revved it up....as per normal, everything smooths out. It is raining here.....maybe grounding??

Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Hoosier 7.3
No codes/SES light thrown yet...plenty of reving/romping when I started her up at the jobsite. See video link;

let it go on for a bit and then I revved it up....as per normal, everything smooths out. It is raining here.....maybe grounding??
Looks like a problem with the sensor or the wiring. Did you replace the sensor on TOP of the HPOP reservoir or the one on the BACK?
What was the other 'simple' sensor you replaced?

Bad grounds can cause all sorts of strange problems...

Quick Reply: AE Newbie