1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sobering Reminder on Theft - With Picture

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sobering Reminder on Theft - With Picture

Unfortunately some of you don't need a reminder to lock your trucks and/or install a security system since you have experienced your truck being stolen.

I live in a small town of under 30,000 and just yesterday someone had their 2008 250 Diesel 4x4 CC stolen right out of their driveway. It was driven out into the middle of nowhere and burned by whoever stole it. Half the people in this town don't even lock their vehicles, and living a few miles outside of town I'm one of them. With the rash of theft in our town including vehicles I'm now locking my vehicles and looking into security systems for my 350. It seems like overkill, but the Ravelco is starting to look very good right now!

Anyway, just wanted to remind you all to keep your doors locked and seriously consider some type of proven anti-theft device, especially if you have a 4x4 CC since, as most of you know, they are the most stolen vehicle in American right now.

Last edited by northwindone; 08-08-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also secure your tailgates. Tailgate theft is common.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't that sad that we even have to remind each other of that ?
Too little punishment for too many years for the crimes !

I can actually remember when my parents started locking the doors to the house.... ah, nicer times...

Tailgates are an easy grab for many areas...

Had the new truck for MONTHS now and just noticed this little 1/2" x 3" sticker on the tailgate...

If I've had the truck for 6 months and just noticed it, how quickly do you think a thief will notice it ?!?

Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
When I got my ravelco on mine they put stickers on the driver and passenger front doors.

Course I am no where near the south but I have traveled that direction many a time.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
I live in Canada. Some people lock their house's doors. Some don't. I only know one person who ever had someone come into his house during the night to steal things. Most people lock their cars.
Insurance companies force us to install GPS tracking or serial number engraving systems on cars on the most stolen list.
A police friend of mine once told me: you don't try to make your things impossible to steal; just harder than your neighbors is enough.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I kock my doors, but other than that I don't worry about it. I'm not about to spend a bunch of money on expensive security systems, that's what I pay insurance premiums every month for.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What, so they can give you a lowball check for your stolen truck that you've worked on and loved on and made your own? I doubt any normal insurance will actually give me the value of my airbags, Titan tank, Ranch Hand full replacements, PIAA lights, cab lights, etc.

I'd rather just keep my truck and replace a broken window or whatever.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
gddyup
Senior User
Originally Posted by Firekite
What, so they can give you a lowball check for your stolen truck that you've worked on and loved on and made your own? I doubt any normal insurance will actually give me the value of my airbags, Titan tank, Ranch Hand full replacements, PIAA lights, cab lights, etc.

Good advice by the OP.As for value for aftermarket parts, I just changed insurance companies to Progressive and when I signed up via their website, they have an aftermarket coverage section that you can put in a dollar amount for aftermarket parts installed on the vehicle. I used it for my Mustang when I put it into the policy. It's market value for the vehicle plus your aftermarket coverage minus any deductible. Your coverage cost reflects the amount you put in there. I thought it was a great "value add" for me to be able to do that.

Just a FYI.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Excellent option, yes

I'd rather pay once for a Ravelco or whatever than continually through insurance, but I may well do both.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I remember the Chevrolets in the 1950's had an ignition switch that you could leave unlocked. I rarely had my key with me and I don't remember ever locking the doors on my '56. The door locks had a separate key.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I wanted to throw these on here i found them the other day, i think these with Jimmi jamers are also a good way to keep crooks out of the door handles. Not to mention us up in the northern part of the country dont hav eto worry about breaking our door handles off when the door freezes to the side of the truck! They are expensive and only come in polishe, brushed or chrome but you can always get them painted as well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/asm-510/overview/

Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Firekite

My thought exactly, way too much invested to loose her....Ravelco

Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Disturbing image warning....

I feel very bad for this guy. He is offering a $1200 reward on information that leads to the arrest and conviction for whoever did this to his truck...

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
How much time elapsed between when it was stolen and when it was burned? Wondering if they used it to commit a crime and then burned it to help cover evidence or just took it for a joyride and burned it after to avoid fingerprints and things. Or hell, maybe it was some sort of payback, even if it's a case of mistaken identity.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
That is disgusting and terrible!

Quick Reply: Sobering Reminder on Theft - With Picture