Cam Timing and EFI

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cam Timing and EFI

I am aware that the factory cam on my 1996 F-150 is installed with 4 degrees of retard. I am also aware that if I correct that by installing it "straight up" (in theory) I will improve low RPM torque and fuel economy. The question I have is will this upset the computer? I installed a Cloyes metal cam gear at least 10 years ago, and at the time I did not change the crank gear because I saw no need. I also was unaware of the factory retard built in to the crank gear on the later engines. I still have the crank gear that came in the kit, and it is marked for retard, straight up and advance. Since the pan gasket is starting to leak, and I am going to have to fix it soon anyway, I may as well install the crank gear and bump the timing to 0 degrees. Has anyone with EFI done this? Especially anyone with EFI and OBDII? I won't mess with it unless I am sure it won't give me drivability issues with the EFI. It would be nice to have a bit more grunt for pulling overdrive now that I have it. The engine likes cruising at 1,500 RPM at 60 MPH, but even slight throttle pressure increases cause the AOD to kick down (like climbing a slight grade). If the engine were more efficient at 1,500 then this might not be an issue. Unfortunately my AOD is calibrated for a 5.0L V8 so it probably is not too keen on being at 1,500 cruise anyway, especially since I am running 31 inch tires and the donor truck used 235 75 R15s. I have contemplated this for a long time, the new to me AOD is just furthering the case for it. I want to do it even if I swap the AOD for a C6.

So, have any EFI people done this and had issues? If not, did you see an increase in responsiveness? Fuel Economy? Thanks for the input.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM
kkkd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Argo
I am aware that the factory cam on my 1996 F-150 is installed with 4 degrees of retard. I am also aware that if I correct that by installing it "straight up" (in theory) I will improve low RPM torque and fuel economy. The question I have is will this upset the computer? I installed a Cloyes metal cam gear at least 10 years ago, and at the time I did not change the crank gear because I saw no need. I also was unaware of the factory retard built in to the crank gear on the later engines. I still have the crank gear that came in the kit, and it is marked for retard, straight up and advance. Since the pan gasket is starting to leak, and I am going to have to fix it soon anyway, I may as well install the crank gear and bump the timing to 0 degrees. Has anyone with EFI done this? Especially anyone with EFI and OBDII? I won't mess with it unless I am sure it won't give me drivability issues with the EFI. It would be nice to have a bit more grunt for pulling overdrive now that I have it. The engine likes cruising at 1,500 RPM at 60 MPH, but even slight throttle pressure increases cause the AOD to kick down (like climbing a slight grade). If the engine were more efficient at 1,500 then this might not be an issue. Unfortunately my AOD is calibrated for a 5.0L V8 so it probably is not too keen on being at 1,500 cruise anyway, especially since I am running 31 inch tires and the donor truck used 235 75 R15s. I have contemplated this for a long time, the new to me AOD is just furthering the case for it. I want to do it even if I swap the AOD for a C6.

So, have any EFI people done this and had issues? If not, did you see an increase in responsiveness? Fuel Economy? Thanks for the input.

I don't have an efi rig but according to Crower's tech dept all of their cams have 4 degrees advanced from straight up and still say they are computer friendly like this One. So being 8 degrees advanced from stock and still being computer friendly I don't see why a stock cam straight up wouldn't work. I'm no expert but maybe someone else will chime in. Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kkkd
I don't have an efi rig but according to Crower's tech dept all of their cams have 4 degrees advanced from straight up and still say they are computer friendly like this One. So being 8 degrees advanced from stock and still being computer friendly I don't see why a stock cam straight up wouldn't work. I'm no expert but maybe someone else will chime in. Good Luck!
Thanks! That is a good point. I wonder if anyone has run anything like this with an OBD2 1996? If it works, then I'll gladly try it on my truck. I don't mind having to run higher octane due to increased cylinder pressure if the the fuel economy boost will outweigh the increased cost of the fuel.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Advancing or retarding the cam shouldn't affect the EEC. Computer compatible *usually* relates to lobe separation, duration - and speed density type EFI. Lumpy idling cams won't work well at all with an SD EFI system but are *usually* no worries with MAF.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
OK, another question: On the "retarded" 300s, is the cam retard built in to the cam, or is the cam retard built into the factory crank gear and/or cam gear?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's ground into the cam itself.