Sponsored by: Moser

Ford Raptor exhaust on my '11 F-150, 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford Raptor exhaust on my '11 F-150, 5.0L

Finally got around to making a sound clip of the Raptor exhaust on my 2011, 5.0L F-150 if anyone is interested. I know my tips are pretty dirty and nasty looking, the pic below is more recent than the vids and I have been polishing them with some metal/ chrome polish to look more like the chrome Harley Davidson truck tips.

The Raptor exhaust is installed without the resonator, instead I had the shop just weld-in a 3" straight pipe from the flange to where the Raptor muffler would have attached to the resonator that came with it. Truthfully I can't believe how much deeper the sound is and noise level increase over stock considering how big the Raptor muffler is. It's actually the same size as the stock 5.0L muffler, probably the same design but with two outlets on the end. I actually love this setup because it's not a wake the entire neighborhood kind of loud, or annoying loud. It gives the truck a very OEM-like performance sound, that's aggressive and deep.

Not going to lie, there is some interior drone/ resonance between say 2200-3000 rpm but it's not over the top or really bothersome. Above 3500 and near redline the sound changes to a higher & louder tone that is closer to say a NASCAR (As a friend of mine put it Lol) or 327 small block with a cam & classic aftermarket exhaust on it.

Hope this works, this is my first attempt at posting a video.

This one is a cold startup from sitting over night, sorry didn't rev on this one as I don't want to rev the motor while still cold, but at least you get an idea of the idle sound.

I will be working on a rolling video with take off & acceleration, but I need to either get someone to video it for me or drive the truck.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That exhaust sure sounds great!!! I love the rumble!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
That exhaust sure sounds great!!! I love the rumble!
Thanks, I love it too. It's crazy Ford doesn't sell this as a cat back kit over the counter. It's "Just right" for those of us that are not into super loud exhausts noise anymore but want a nice deep, throaty, near-factory performance sound.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
looks and sounds great. did it fit in the factory grommet/hangers or did the muffler shop fab up hangers? I'd love to get this setup for mine since I deleted the resonator already

Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
looks and sounds great. did it fit in the factory grommet/hangers or did the muffler shop fab up hangers? I'd love to get this setup for mine since I deleted the resonator already
Direct fit for all of the hangers and mounting points. The only part that won't fit is at the flange towards the front of the truck because the piping on the 6.2L Raptor is 3" diameter where the piping on my 5.0L is slightly smaller, 2 1/4 I think?? It didn't matter because the shop simply welded a 3" straight pipe from the stock 5.0L flange to the Raptor muffler inlet pipe. I think I paid $50 for the straight pipe and labor at my local exhaust shop.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the reply. Now to find one!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Thanks for the reply. Now to find one!
I hung out on the Raptor forums and posted a classified ad for a wanted take off Raptor cat/back.

I think within 2-3 days I had a guy respond back, he only wanted $100 for the entire thing plus whatever the shipping $50 from east coast to California.

It seems some guys either want $50 for the entire thing or they want over $400.

Originally I went to the dealer and crawled under a brand new Raptor on the showroom floor to take measurements, to make sure it would work and lineup on my XLT super cab lol. Got many interesting looks while I was there doing that, then I went and got a quote over the counter at the parts dept. $900+ for the entire exhaust (No, thanks), I think the tips alone were close to $200. So yeah it's best to watch the various Raptor forums or Craigslist, 95% of the guys on those forums rip the factory exhaust off as soon as they get the truck home from the dealer new, so there's plenty available out there. Also remember the 2011-2012 Harley Davidson has the same exhaust as the Raptor, so that will work too. The tips are actually nicer on that version because they are polished and double rolled .vs the raw look on the Raptor tips.

Be sure to clarify what length Raptor the pipe is coming off of. Also if 5.4 or 6.2L. IIRC the 5.4L didn't come with the resonator, and I think the pipe is either the same or smaller than the 5.0L & 3.5 EcoBoost plumbing. The Plumbing on the 6.2 version is slightly larger.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated. rep sent. I will have to start stalking the raptor forums.

Originally Posted by Pool Runner
I went and got a quote over the counter at the parts dept. $900+ for the entire exhaust (No, thanks),
Ya, for that much I could get a Borla S-type dual setup. That's what I was looking into prior, but the setup you have there sounds great and will be a fraction of the cost.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Follow up question: looks like you have the same cab/bed configuration that i do (scab 6.5' bed @145" WB) does this mean it would need to come off a super crew raptor since they have the 5.5' bed? I believe that puts a raptor super crew at a 145" WB

Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Follow up question: looks like you have the same cab/bed configuration that i do (scab 6.5' bed @145" WB) does this mean it would need to come off a super crew raptor since they have the 5.5' bed? I believe that puts a raptor super crew at a 145" WB
Yes, if you want everything to be stock length. You will still have to make an adapter/ reducer at the flange. It wasn't an issue for me as I wasn't going to use the resonator anyway. But I read off a different forum where a guy tried to just bolt up the whole thing, they said the flanges on the Raptor resonator pipe doesn't exactly match the 5.0/3.5 flange.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Yes, if you want everything to be stock length. You will still have to make an adapter/ reducer at the flange. It wasn't an issue for me as I wasn't going to use the resonator anyway. But I read off a different forum where a guy tried to just bolt up the whole thing, they said the flanges on the Raptor resonator pipe doesn't exactly match the 5.0/3.5 flange.
Awesome sound, how much louder is it than the stock set up, as I have a 5.0 on order??

Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Could you give the measurements on the size of the Raptor muffler? Inlet/outlet, length, diameter, etc.? I'm really thinking of trashing this whole Roush thing, put the stock exhaust back on, minus the resonator that Roush calls a muffler.
I like the sound of yours, could you give a bit longer video of the cold start and idling down to warm idle with no goosing it? And maybe even at 2700 rpm or so steady state in the cab to hear the drone?
At lot of request there, I know. Seems everyone wants to hear the revving thing, but do you sit at a light revving it up? Reality check please.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
but do you sit at a light revving it up? Reality check please.
You do if you are on a Harley...seems that's all they ever do.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
You do if you are on a Harley...seems that's all they ever do.
OMG!!! What cajones YOU have!!! I can't wait for the replies on that one!!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
Awesome sound, how much louder is it than the stock set up, as I have a 5.0 on order??
Hard to tell in the video (video makes it seem quieter than actual), and unfortunately I never got a "before" video of the stock sound but rest assure it is louder than stock by a good margin. If I had to take a guess, it's probably as loud as the "quietest" Flowmaster you can buy.

I never installed the resonator, but I imagine if it were installed it would be closer to stock.

Quick Reply: Ford Raptor exhaust on my '11 F-150, 5.0L