1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearing / manual hub whining...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel bearing / manual hub whining...

Well, I've been meaning to get to servicing/re-greasing the front hubs/bearings for a while but somehow it keeps getting moved down the list.

2000 F250SD 4X4 Gas Manual Hubs+Trans

I'm currently going through the many threads that turned up in my search query.

Driving slow with the windows down it seems like a low whine or squeal coming from the left front. Tone changes when working the steering wheel left and right. Haven't detected any grinding sounds. Any other techniques for isolating the problem? It's going up on jack stands tonight and I'm going to see if there is any wobble from the front wheels and I'll listen as I turn each of the front wheels. Oddly, the right front hub is hard to turn. Left front turns easy.

Viewed Rob259956's videos on servicing the hubs. AWESOME! Currently researching accessing the wheel bearings. It seems pretty straightforward. Truck has been off road but not mud bogged or anything like that.

Any gotcha's I need to watch out for?
Do they sell a rebuild kit? Will be getting a new truck within 12-18 months so I don't want to spend extra money on mods or upgrades. Just want to keep it bone stock.
I'm guessing a bad bearing will be easy to identify as will a bad o-ring but any other stuff I should look closely at?

I'll post results when I'm done.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
This guy has some good how to's as well.

You need to do the hubs and that is all there is too it.

Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages

Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Tron75
Freshman User
JetFuelBurner--I am having the same problem. I am hearing a "metal-to-metal" noise coming from the front left side tire. I swapped out the pads a while back thinking it was the pad indicator coming into contact with the rotor, but that didn't do the job. I am think maybe I scored the rotor and they need to be turned. I don't want to jump into removing the hub assembly if I don't have to, but if it comes down to it so be it. What are the techniques for troubleshooting a bad hub assembly? The right hub spins a little freer than the left. Any ideas? Would a bad hub assembly make a "metal-to-metal" noise? Thanks.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
hubs can make metal to metal, grinding humming or get just plain hot when they are on their way.

Infra red thermometer can help to measure heat from side to side. If one is much hotter than they other you have your answer.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tron75
JetFuelBurner--I am having the same problem. I am hearing a "metal-to-metal" noise coming from the front left side tire. I swapped out the pads a while back thinking it was the pad indicator coming into contact with the rotor, but that didn't do the job. I am think maybe I scored the rotor and they need to be turned. I don't want to jump into removing the hub assembly if I don't have to, but if it comes down to it so be it. What are the techniques for troubleshooting a bad hub assembly? The right hub spins a little freer than the left. Any ideas? Would a bad hub assembly make a "metal-to-metal" noise? Thanks.
Posted this on your other thread. Does it change pitch when make a high speed/load turn? If the left bearing is bad when taking a right hand corner it should get louder. When taking a left hand turn it should get quieter. I haven't ever experienced brake issues changing depending on which direction you are turning so would help conclude/eliminate bearings as one issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
I'm going to have to go to an empty parking lot and mess around with it. I only hear it when going really slow and the pitch changes as I spin the steering wheel...like when I'm backing out of my driveway or pulling into the kids school parking lot.

What perked my ears up is a low buzzing vibration that comes and goes every once in a while. This just started the other day. I remember this from my first truck, an '88 Ranger 4X4. Hubs were shot on that one. No squealing with that one (may have been...likely I wouldn't have heard it what with the long hair and heavy metal blasting at the time).

Hopefully I'll be able to tear into it pretty quickly. We had a spare vehicle until the nanny totaled it!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tron75

Go up to the tech folder and click on the link for

"How to lubricate MANUAL 4x4 front hubs"

Rob did a great with the videos. Makes it look so simple that even a "JetJockey" can do it!

Oh heck...heres the page...CLICK