Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does OBS mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarryd
I hate all the smog **** crap. The world is going to end due to overpopulation before it becomes a problem.
You should go to China some time

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say that I agree with diesel brad. There is no reason the American manufacturers can not comply with the EPA regulations and not blow up engines or lower fuel economy. The Europeans and Asians (except China, although that seems to be changing) are able to make clean diesels that get excellent economy and don't blow up. The problem is with the corporate idea of spending the minimum on development of the product, loading it up with gizmos and widgets to boost the profit margin, and shipping shiny turds to the customers. But they'd rather drag their heels like a 5 year old that has been asked to put away his toys than earnestly work toward goals that are attainable and are commonplace in other parts of the world. It's always the same show by the big... uh 2.5: we'll drag our heels, do a half assed job in an attempt to prove that the rules are dumb, and then... whoa! What was that? The Japanese did it and took our cake. (in your best imaginary Cartman voice now) AH! DAMMIT! But hey, at least we got Bluetooth, and leather seats with butt warmers, and dual zone A/C, and built in Satellite Navigation (because putting a Garmin on the dash is way to freaking hard) and 90 days same as cash and we'll make your first two payments and pink inflatable gorillas and dancing windsock men with blowers for feet out of the deal. Whew! Am I glad they didn't spend money on ENGINEERING. Now to be fair, do I think they should ratchet it back a notch on cars and trucks and focus more on coal powered generating stations and big industry which is far from complicit in this issue? Hell yeah, but as long as they pull the purse strings on both sides of the aisle, it'll never happen. But these companies that sell us "workin' man's vehicles" are all too busy with their marketing ploys and gimmicks to get off their asses and build anything with quality anymore. That is not the EPA's fault, that is the fault of the business model of the modern large American Company.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastback460
The 92-97 trucks are known as the "old body style" or OBS

than what do you call the "old body style" trucks made before 92?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
than what do you call the "old body style" trucks made before 92?
If you read the thread before responding, you would see this question has already been answered:

Originally Posted by raystankewitz
'80-86; Bullnose

'87-91; Bricknose

'92-96 & 97 F250/350; OBS

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Original Best Styling

OBS (Old Body Style) is technically incorrect for describing the 9th generation f-series pickup.
the 9th generation is actually the NBS (New Body Style) of the 8th generation truck.it was a more refined version,more aero and slightly more sleek and modern.
(basically transformed the ugliness of the 8th gen.no offense to the minority fans of those.)

the term OBS didn't come about until 1998 (ford still sold trucks this year) when buyers could buy the then NBS (super duty) or the OBS.
for some reason,the term stuck with the 9th gen and not just with the 1997 (F250 HD /F350 only) year.most likely it stuck and got coined for the whole 9th generation due to the super duty design being a drastic turn that many of us remember as simply coping the new body design that dodge came out with.why ford ever followed dodge i just don't get it,and didn't like it.i still don't and wish they'd return to their roots and get off the super duty design,but i don't see it ever happening.

OBS (Old Body Style) can be anything pre- super duty really.but it's long since stuck to refer to the whole 92-96 (and 97 HD) / 9th gen now.

Brad,
i like the Old But Sexy!

as far a modern trucks go,i never thought id ever say it,but so true these days.the chevy trucks are the clear best looking pickups now.have been for a long while.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...e_1310x520.jpg

Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
I like to think of the 87-96 (+97 F250 and up, & 1998 heavy duties that still maintained the older look) trucks as OBS trucks. They shared the same look except for the front clip. 80-86 is sometimes included in the OBS category, but I just think of them as the "Bullnose" generation.

The term OBS doesn't make all that much sense since pretty much anything but the current body style could be called an "old body style."

Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT;

as far a modern trucks go,i never thought id ever say it,but so true these days.the chevy trucks are the clear best looking pickups now.have been for a long while.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...e_1310x520.jpg
I'm trying so hard not to think this. I really am. I still hate the dodge trucks too and the new fords look great. I don't like new trucks though, I like a truck that looks like it can do some work.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I guess I just don't see what you guys see. I cant stand the look of the chevy.

I don't like the two huge chrome bars on the grills of most of the new super-duty trucks. I think ford had it just rights in 2008-2010. Too bad they ran this look for such a short time.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:39 AM
weskan
Senior User
I always thought the 92 up nose treatment looked like more of a natural progression from the bullnose era than the bricknose. I like to think of them as the Aero Bull Nose.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 AM
1995F150XLT4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good old body style.

I love our years of trucks. Honestly, anything older than a 96 f150 or a 97 f250 is just plain hideous. Later on Ford started making actual trucks again around 2005 but they'll never match the old ones. The truly don't make them like they used to!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
One of my sons friends picked up an 02 F250 4x4 with a 128K on it. I think he says it has the 5.4 Triton. I don't like the looks of it but for the price I don't think I'd have passed it up either. The PO used it for plowing and blew 2nd gear but 1st, 3rd and OD work so he bought it for, get this...$250. Drove it home, parked it in the barn and is saving to either get a new trans or this one rebuilt. Good deal if you ask me.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Trombogon
This has been coming up a lot lately, but we definitely need to nickname the 92-96/97HDs
I strongly disagree with this. The nicknames end up being so disconnected from anything with any real meaning that people can't remember them. I see '80-'86 F-series called "bricknose" a significant part of the time. With the current names I had to come up with a way to remember which is which, and I finally did by realizing that all three are exactly wrong:

'80-86 is squared off like a brick, so that's the bullnose

'87-91 was designed by someone too bull-headed to change it into something people would like the look of (sorry...) so that's a brick nose

'92-'96 (or '97) is the newest of the three so it's the old body style (or OBS).

So having said that I'm sure people will have a lot to say about the '80-'86 looking exactly like a bull, and the '87-'91 was actually designed by someone who was recently hit in the face with a brick. But these are just the tricks I needed to do to have any hope of remembering which was which. Which, back to my original point, is why I don't think we need more nicknames.

Oh, and I really don't think the '87-'91 is ugly. Honestly it's my least favorite of these three, but it still ranks higher for me than any newer Ford truck. It's just an easy target, and again, helps with the mnemonics.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfox10
If you read the thread before responding, you would see this question has already been answered:
i have heard these truck called so many stupid frigging names. bricknose, blocknose, bluntnose,bullnose, flatnose, pugnose.
and every time i hear someone use one of these stupid names i ask the same thing WHAT YEAR???.

the names are almost as stupid as calling them "generation" trucks.
you call an 87-91 a 7th generation. the guy across the street calls it an 8th generation. the guy in ohio calls it a 9th generation.

same thing, give me a year, not some stupid name or generation.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Old But Sexy
I'm with you! that's what I always thought!!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM
JKNW
Junior User
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
I like to think of the 87-96 (+97 F250 and up, & 1998 heavy duties that still maintained the older look) trucks as OBS trucks. They shared the same look except for the front clip. 80-86 is sometimes included in the OBS category, but I just think of them as the "Bullnose" generation.

The term OBS doesn't make all that much sense since pretty much anything but the current body style could be called an "old body style."
OBS and Bricks are very different IMO, and I'm sure it's gonna bend some feelers but I consider the Bricks the last "real trucks". OBS interiors are a lot more car-like than mine. Bricks had mechanical speedos, cable operated HVAC, wiper switch on the dash, dimmer switch on the floor (where it belongs!), old style column etc...

OBS is just what they're called, don't over-analyze it too much and it makes plenty of sense.

Quick Reply: what does OBS mean?