Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 PM
BLZN4FN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise

Hello all i'm new to the Powerstroke thing

I have question for you all at idle there sounds like a rod knock but off idle no noise and the noise is not always there at idle. Is this normal?

Thanks for any input

Old 06-12-2003, 03:52 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Engine noise

If what you're hearing is rhythmic, it's probably just injector noise. Diesels are funny- they seem to make more noise at idle and while under acceleration than they do at cruise on the freeway. Listen to your truck at idle from outside the truck, and compare that sound to another Powestroke. You'll probably find that they sound a lot alike.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:54 AM
BLZN4FN
New User
Engine noise

Hey Quadzilla

what makes the infectors make that noise?
I had a 97 Powerstroke and never heard that noise
Thanks for the reply

Bo

Old 06-12-2003, 05:56 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
Engine noise

PRESSURE makes the noise ... the old system of firing injectors at 1400 psi is gone. they have found that the higher the pressure , the better the fuel will burn. Next time you go to a tractor pull with diesel mods, listen to the engines. Fuel PRESSURE makes them whine at idle or just a little above idle.

Old 10-18-2003, 12:58 AM
PowerStroker77
New User
Has anyone tried putting aftermarket valve covers on? I wonder if this would reduce the injector clatter?

Also, do any of the aftermarket performance chips get rid of the clatter by changing the timing of the injectors? I know the new Cummins engines are much quieter at idle due to simply changing the timing of the injectors.

Old 10-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Oneof6
Senior User
BLTZ4FN, What model and year is your truck? Sometimes I have the same sound. I have listened to many PSD's and the 02 that I have now is not the first one that I have had. The sounds are all over the scale in amplitude. The earlier models 99 and down tend to be quieter. The new 6.0 is pretty quiet. My 02 will sometimes have that idle knock, sometimes not. IMO it is air in the stock fuel system. Try keeping the tank over half full for a couple of hundred miles. Change places where you fuel up. These engines are pretty fuel quality and air intrusion sensitive.

Old 10-18-2003, 09:06 AM
Carfunkel
Junior User
Location: Canterbury - A beautifu but overpriced rural setting in central NH
Originally posted by PowerStroker77
Has anyone tried putting aftermarket valve covers on? I wonder if this would reduce the injector clatter?
REDUCE??? You bought the wrong truck. That noise is half the reason for owning one. Of course after a few years of driving, you find yourself saying "huh?" a whole lot, but that's a small price to pay.

Old 10-18-2003, 09:52 AM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
Every time I start mine, it sounds different! Sometimes it has idle knock, sometimes it does not. I switched to Mobil Delvac 1300 oil and it seems to have reduced the idle knock. I may just be hearing things, but it does seem to run quieter with the Mobil oil. But to be more specific, I have to agree with Oneof6, I have heard many PSD's, some different years, some the same years, and they all seem to sound a little diferent.
We have an F-550 4x4 service truck with the 6 speed, and when it runs, I swear it is just as quiet as the 6.0.
This bs used to bother me, but now I just maintain the thing and drive it. If you keep the maintenance up, your PSD should be trouble free for many, many thousands of miles.

Old 10-18-2003, 10:52 AM
PowerStroker77
New User
Originally posted by Carfunkel
REDUCE??? You bought the wrong truck. That noise is half the reason for owning one. Of course after a few years of driving, you find yourself saying "huh?" a whole lot, but that's a small price to pay.
I love the rumble of the diesel. In fact, I'm saving up for a 4" exhaust, so I can hear that low thump-thump at the same time as that sweet turbo chirp. My issue is that I can't hear the parts of the engine that I like over that "can of rocks" rattle!