Sponsored by: Moser

First trip with Max Tow Ecoboost!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
First trip with Max Tow Ecoboost!

Well...after buying the truck on Tuesday...I put about 465 miles on the truck and then my wife and I took off on our vacation with the F150. We started out in Vacaville California and drove for about 11 hours to Portland Oregon! I had cruise control on most of the way with speeds ranging from 60-70 mph (mostly 65 but some areas of speeding up to 70 then some having to slow down to 60) The truck ran flawlessly (as it should) and it never had to downshift even going up 6% grades going up Mount Shasta!

It did well on engine braking going back down Mount Shasta and was super comfortable and very quiet. We left at 4:30 am and arrived at about 3:30 pm in Portland. We were up and down grades a lot after passing Mount Shasta and through the lower half of Oregon.

Here is a picture of my stats for the MPG wonderers in the crowd. Keep in mind I have 3.73's and a brand new motor.

Here is a pic of my truck with my beautiful wife at one of the rest stops along the way.

I did my best throughout the trip to stay at 65 whenever possible. I really enjoy the My Ford Touch so far and also how comfortable the seat was for driving so long! It is the most comfortable vehicle seat I have been on in a vehicle. Obviously this was non towing miles. I think the truck did quite well considering the miles on the motor thus far...what do you guys think?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I think the truck did quite well considering the miles on the motor thus far...what do you guys think?
I agree, that is good. My mileage wasn't very good at first but started improving at around 3k miles.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Glad that first road trip went well Rob, I agree with how comfortable the seats are. Even the ones in my STX are great on long rides.

I must say I have not seen many platinum trim levels out my way, that grill, HID lights and wheel combo looks great! There is just enough chrome without being to flashy. Enjoy every minute of it

Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Oh I am definitely enjoying every minute being in this truck. There are times when it has great get up and go and just a few times when it almost feels like it is holding back. I wonder if it is still trying to learn? Have you guys noticed any hesitation?

I must say that even small throttle inputs do remind you that this truck has a lot of power...it sure puts a smile on your face! The other thing is that this truck is deceptively fast...I have had several times when I looked down and went oops I am driving too fast.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Oh I am definitely enjoying every minute being in this truck. There are times when it has great get up and go and just a few times when it almost feels like it is holding back. I wonder if it is still trying to learn? Have you guys noticed any hesitation?

I must say that even small throttle inputs do remind you that this truck has a lot of power...it sure puts a smile on your face! The other thing is that this truck is deceptively fast...I have had several times when I looked down and went oops I am driving too fast.
Even after 2 yrs of ownership i still feel the same way about mine! You think she has power now wait until you tow something with it. My travel trailer is 33' 7500lbs and when towing i lockout 6th gear and she will climb 95% of the hills in 5th gear at 2100rpms with the cruise set between 60-65mph. This is the 6th pickup truck I've owned over the years and it's without a doubt my favorite!!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a great break in trip with all the hills from shasta to central OR.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Glad to hear the trip went well Rob! Your fuel economy is right in line with how mine does, and at nearly 5,000 miles I haven't noticed a significant increase. Here's my lifetime fuel economy, you can click for details. I have a good ~6-700 miles towing.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob....glad to see you got your ride. Congrats!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
Even after 2 yrs of ownership i still feel the same way about mine! You think she has power now wait until you tow something with it. My travel trailer is 33' 7500lbs and when towing i lockout 6th gear and she will climb 95% of the hills in 5th gear at 2100rpms with the cruise set between 60-65mph. This is the 6th pickup truck I've owned over the years and it's without a doubt my favorite!!
I second that! That little "EgoBoost" has power and then some.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cirrus365
That is a great break in trip with all the hills from shasta to central OR.
That is for sure! After Shasta it is lots of grades up and down. I hope she is broke in right causse when i get home I will hook up the boat and really test her to the lake.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
One thing that really sucks is that for the past to days we haven't drove the truck at all...it has been in valet lockdown here at the Sheraton in Seattle. ($37.00/day!!!) Today we are going to take her out and go to the Zoo. Unfortunately though I will probably lose my up front valet parking spot...oh well...lol!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last week I drove 2000 miles of freeway and got a lousy 17.5 mpg with my Max Tow crew cab.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Sounds good, Prince! Keep reporting, I love these trip reports! 18 total is great!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Last week I drove 2000 miles of freeway and got a lousy 17.5 mpg with my Max Tow crew cab.
Please tell me you are kidding...lol

Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Well everyone we finally made it back to California. We had geat time on our vacation. Spent time witth family and basically had a relaxing fun vacation. We ate at the Space Needle on our anniversary night...wow what a view! Thosse of you that don't know about the Space Needle...they have an observation tower and a restaurant. I had beauty all around me not to mention my beautiful wife.

Ok...back to talking about the truck...lol

My truck performed flawlessly and was the most comfortable vehicle I have ever had the pleasure to drive. We were headed back and were on a relatively flat stretch of road. This stretch of road was about 80 miles or so and I looked down and saw this!

There is no doubt in my mind that this truck will do the estimated MPG on the sticker and the best part is I am getting this with 3.73 gearing with a motor that is not quite broken in yet!!! As you can see I was driving 65 mph and did my absolute best to remain there as much as possibe. I wanted to show people that these trucks do have great milage and can get what they are rated at and more.

Ok so from there we saw a sign for the Wild Safari where you get to drive through about 600 acres with animals roaming free (most of them...of course the lions and tigers were behind cages but that would have made for some great pictures) My wife got to stand through the sunroof and take pictures of all the animals while I was basically her driver...lol Doing this pretty much ruined my fuel average which saddened me a bit. I have no doubt that I would have been in the mid 19's for gas milage had we not done the safari.

Another thing I wanted to add was that we did go back though the steep 6% grades back up over Mount Shasta. The wind was blowing like crazy up there and the flags looked like they wanted to rip off their poles. As I was hoping to recover from the safari detour and recover my average, the strong wind and the steep grades had other things in store.

When the truck was going up those steep grades it NEVER had to downshift and hummed along at 65 mph and at 1800 rpm. (we also had the air conditioner running through all the steep mountain ranges all the way to our home) Going back down the grades it did downshift sometimes to 3rd gear to try and maintain the 65 mph speed.

Here is a picture of my final average mpg just before we got off our exit at home. (sorry the dash got a little dusty from the offroad safari drive)

This is our total trip log with all the mixed city/freeway driving (to include the safari).

I think the truck did great on fuel milage (all of it was on 87 octane) and I know it will do better the more it gets broken in. Next I will get to tow the boat!

So what do you guys think? Sorry for the long post everyone...just wanted to cover everything.

Quick Reply: First trip with Max Tow Ecoboost!