1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

PATS problem, key code not received and battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM
bitco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PATS problem, key code not received and battery light on

I had a dead battery on my 99 Expedition, and replaced it. After replacing the battery, the truck will not start. The theft light flashed rapidly and the battery light came on. The theft light started flashing 1:3 (1 flash followed by 3), which I believe means that the key code was not received. I tried someone's suggestion I found on the forum of disconnecting the battery, waiting for the rapid flashing of the theft indicator to stop, taking the key out, waiting 15 seconds and putting it back in. This did not work, and I still got the key code not received code. Now the theft light does not come on and the battery light is illuminated, even with the key out.

One problem I have is I only have the one key. Can a locksmith reprogram my key and make me a spare with the one I have? Any other suggestions, and why would the battery light stay on with the key removed? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Make sure you didn't connect the battery cables backwards.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 AM
bitco
New User
I'm still working on the problem. I left the battery unhooked last night. I hooked it back up this morning and the truck started. Now there is no "theft" light on, but the battery/alternator light is on all the time, even with the key out. The truck will start.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you still planning to have another key cut and programmed?

I wonder if the tumblers are hanging up in the cylinder allowing the

Truck to be put into the run position.

This may even create a condition where the circuit connection

Is too poor for the key to transmit to the computer.

I was told by a locksmith that the lube used in the cylinder is low quality,

And depending on the age of the truck, the lube may fail.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM
bitco
New User
Thanks for the reply khadma. I'm getting closer to figuring out what the problem is. I took the expedition around the block and heard a sizzling noise under the dash. Upon further investigation, the noise is coming from the white electrical box located under the driver's side dash, the electrical box is the one that has the key code on it, it sounds like sizzling water. I suspect a possible water leak around the windshield from further reading on the forum. Also, while I was driving around, the 4X4 light kept flashing. Upon stopping, I could restart the vehicle and engage the four wheel drive with no problem. Also, the theft light blinks, and the airbag light, battery/alt light, and the odometer light remain on with the key out.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM
bitco
New User
Problem fixed

Ok, Thanks for the replies. I have it fixed now. The problem was evidently a water leak from the windshield onto the keyless entry module. I got the truck started and took it for a drive. I could hear sizzling coming from under the dash. Upon closer inspection, I could tell the noise was coming from the keyless entry module. I cranked up the heat, closed the truck, and left it running. After a few hours there was no more sizzling sound and everything is now functioning normal. I got the windshield replaced.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!--INFOLINKS_OFF--><!-- sig -->

Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by bitco
I got the windshield replaced
Smart move, don't want that happening every time it rains or the truck goes through a car wash.