Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Tonneaus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Locking Tonneaus?

Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, but obviously not to FTE. However, I need some advice that y'all appear to have in depth. I'm seriously considering a hard tonneau on my 81 long bed, and want to be able to lock things up securely. However, I haven't found a locking handle for the tailgate on this era truck, so am looking for a hard tonneau that locks to the gate - and is secure. I realize that the RollNLock does that, but do any others?

And any other advice you care to share would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
I use the Paragon..... but look at this link from a few years ago about covers.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bed-cover.html

There's a photo of mine at post # 9 I think. The lock is very good. You can just see it at the top left of the cover. It folds up against the front of the bed. I pull a 5th wheel with it folded then leave the hitch in and roll the cover back closed when not towing. Just reviewed that link and inside that link is another showing installation of my cover. Mine is the 2nd one of the two shown.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I use the Paragon..... but look at this link from a few years ago about covers.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bed-cover.html

There's a photo of mine at post # 9 I think. The lock is very good. You can just see it at the top left of the cover. It folds up against the front of the bed. I pull a 5th wheel with it folded then leave the hitch in and roll the cover back closed when not towing. Just reviewed that link and inside that link is another showing installation of my cover. Mine is the 2nd one of the two shown.
Thanks. I read through the thread, but didn't see any mention of covers that actually lock to the tailgate. In fact, Paragon said specifically that theirs doesn't. While that may be good for some situations, with the older trucks w/o a tailgate lock it doesn't provide security.

Having said that, I am thinking about installing an electric lock on the gate and tying it into the to-be-installed alarm system. I've already planned for a hood lock, so could do the same for the 'gate, and when the system is armed the locks will be set. So that would open up the possibilities on the cover - assuming I figure out how to do it.

Anyway, did I miss something in the thread?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Sorry.... my eyes read LOCKING COVER! Age sucks.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Sorry.... my eyes read LOCKING COVER! Age sucks.
Yup! I'm 66 and, well, I think my memory used to be better. But, then again, I really can't remember how good it was.

Thanks anyway. You tried.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Hopefully SOMEONE ELSE will need that information and I won't have to screw up and write it again!!!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 PM
MI Truck Guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gary,

Have you seen a Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite? It's a hard, folding tonneau cover that secures your tailgate, without the need for an extra tailgate lock. I found a link for you: G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover | Fold-a-Cover Tonneau CoversFold-a-Cover Tonneau Covers

Good luck in your search!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by MI Truck Guy
Hi Gary,

Have you seen a Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite? It's a hard, folding tonneau cover that secures your tailgate, without the need for an extra tailgate lock. I found a link for you: G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover | Fold-a-Cover Tonneau CoversFold-a-Cover Tonneau Covers

Good luck in your search!
First, welcome to FTE! I see this is your first post and I'm honored you would use it on me.

I hadn't seen the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. However, checking it out I find that they don't have a unit that is said to fit my '81 F150's 8' bed. Am I missing something?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
MI Truck Guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
First, welcome to FTE! I see this is your first post and I'm honored you would use it on me.

I hadn't seen the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. However, checking it out I find that they don't have a unit that is said to fit my '81 F150's 8' bed. Am I missing something?
Thanks for the welcome!

That is completely my mistake. I missed your signature that clearly states what year truck you're driving. Sometimes I get a little overzealous! You know how it is...

Sorry for giving you the runaround. Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by MI Truck Guy
Thanks for the welcome!

That is completely my mistake. I missed your signature that clearly states what year truck you're driving. Sometimes I get a little overzealous! You know how it is...

Sorry for giving you the runaround. Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for!
No problem. I'd rather have checked everything out than to have missed something and regret it later.

Status update: I've had various things recommended, both on here and elsewhere, so thought I would summarize where I am on things:
  • Relocate handle: LMC sells a kit to relocate the tailgate handle to the inside. But that requires cutting the 'gate and I'm reluctant to do that. Plus it leaves either a hole or a non-working handle on the outside. Not what I want.
  • Electric locks: Several approaches to electric locks have been considered, including solenoids in the 'gate to replace or actuate the strikers, and a solenoid that goes in the linkage such that the linkage isn't really connected unless the solenoid is "on". But that sounds like a lot of work with the typical developmental problems that go with blazing a new trail, so not what I'm looking for.
  • Locking tonneau: To this point the most viable solution is still a tonneau that locks to the tailgate. But, I've not found another beyond Roll-N-Lock that does that, so that appears to be the only choice. However, I'm a long way from being ready to buy as the truck is still in a million pieces, so there is time to find another if it exists.