Sponsored by:

I can't give up on my beast

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Encho
You definitely need to fill out your signature with all the specs that you do know of the truck, it makes things easier on us.
That makes perfect sense!! Ok so what kind of info is necessary?

I will compile everything that I know and can find out.

Thank you again, really.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:17 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Year of the Bronco

Engine size (302, 351W, etc)

Transmission (E4OD, etc)

Tires and size

Engine modifications

Example of mine

1979 Ford Bronco, 466 (460 bored .30 over, flat top pistons, mild can), C6, NP 203 transfer case, 33xmixed sizex15 mud tires,

Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 88rustyred
Also check the sticker inside the door frame. It will have an axle code, that you can look up to find out what gear ratio you have and whether its a locking diff or not. If the engine and trans are still in good condition, it will be worth repairing the rear end and keeping the bronc.
Even though she already knows the Ratio, this door tag isn't always right as I've found out Some jerk PO changed the gears in mine and now it has rendered my 4wd useless..

Anyways dgabriele, good luck on your search. I'd hate to see a fellow Bronco owner have to give up their truck because some mechanic likes to throw his weight around.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That shop saw you coming and is trying to rip you off, I would quote about $400 to do that job.

Just need to find a 3.55 8.8 that will fit in good condition. Any 8.8 from a mid 80s - 97 Bronco or F150 will fit. 3.55 is by far the most popular ratio in these vehicles stock. And all brake and electronic(ABS) parts will swap from your old one so you don't need any of that, just the base axle assembly. So finding a replacement is very easy as they are very common and thus cheap. Here I would never expect to pay more then $150 for one in good condition but I understand there these things get rather pricey due to government regulations and policies.

Condition is the hard part but easy to check. If shopping yourself or having a friend do it grab the axle where the wheel would bolt on and push it in and out of the axle housing. If it moves less then 1/8th of an inch it's in great shape. A little more and it's usable, over a 1/4" pass on it, it's worn out. Then rotate it by hand, should feel smooth and even, and if turned back and forth should only turn a little bit between clunks.

As for where to do it, that's tough I can't imagine shop space in NY is easy to come by. It's a rather easy job though, just need a flat piece of pavement to work on it, basic tools, and having 2 people really helps. Maybe you can find a cool auto parts store and ask to do it with your friend in their parking lot. Some can be very accommodating about it and any parts, supplies, and tools you need are only a few feet away.

That or just search craigslist for an independent(ie home based) mechanic, be careful but if you find a good one(like me) it can really work out.

Ohhh one more thing, while it is true that all the parts will swap, if your old axle is "blown up" there is a good chance that the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) is bad and you will want to replace it for good measure. It's easy to replace and you really need it. In your rig that sensor needs to be working for the ABS, transmission and speedometer to work properly.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BruteFord
That shop saw you coming and is trying to rip you off, I would quote about $400 to do that job.

Just need to find a 3.55 8.8 that will fit in good condition. Any 8.8 from a mid 80s - 97 Bronco or F150 will fit. 3.55 is by far the most popular ratio in these vehicles stock. And all brake and electronic(ABS) parts will swap from your old one so you don't need any of that, just the base axle assembly. So finding a replacement is very easy as they are very common and thus cheap. Here I would never expect to pay more then $150 for one in good condition but I understand there these things get rather pricey due to government regulations and policies.

Condition is the hard part but easy to check. If shopping yourself or having a friend do it grab the axle where the wheel would bolt on and push it in and out of the axle housing. If it moves less then 1/8th of an inch it's in great shape. A little more and it's usable, over a 1/4" pass on it, it's worn out. Then rotate it by hand, should feel smooth and even, and if turned back and forth should only turn a little bit between clunks.

As for where to do it, that's tough I can't imagine shop space in NY is easy to come by. It's a rather easy job though, just need a flat piece of pavement to work on it, basic tools, and having 2 people really helps. Maybe you can find a cool auto parts store and ask to do it with your friend in their parking lot. Some can be very accommodating about it and any parts, supplies, and tools you need are only a few feet away.

That or just search craigslist for an independent(ie home based) mechanic, be careful but if you find a good one(like me) it can really work out.

Ohhh one more thing, while it is true that all the parts will swap, if your old axle is "blown up" there is a good chance that the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) is bad and you will want to replace it for good measure. It's easy to replace and you really need it. In your rig that sensor needs to be working for the ABS, transmission and speedometer to work properly.
Ain't it a B***h that she doesn't live here? We have a few select Ford guys that would be able to get this shizzy done in an hour or so. You and Josh alone even, me to stand around looking pretty and "giving advice on which bolt goes where" and most importantly, to be the supervisor

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
^Dylans hinting that he wish she would live near him so he can *smooch smooch* with her. Haha. Dylan's blushing...awe.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM
LI250
Senior User
Where in the metro area are you. I pulled a set of leaf springs from a '96ish 150 Flareside at July Wreckers in Garden City park yesterday. Didnt look at the ratio but it was an 8.8. They also may have something on the rack and the also do installs. Might be worth a call if your in Queens or Western Nassau.

July Auto Wrecking 516-746-0278

I cant see them charging you more than a $1000 to get you back on the road which is still alot but better than the current quotes. I'de offer my garage but if my wife sees another full size Ford in my driveway on stands I'm confident she would cut my throat.

Dont sell it... but if you do let me know first.

Depending on how bad the rear is you can also pull the rear shaft and drive it somewhere local in 4x4.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Originally Posted by LI250
Where in the metro area are you. I pulled a set of leaf springs from a '96ish 150 Flareside at July Wreckers in Garden City park yesterday. Didnt look at the ratio but it was an 8.8. They also may have something on the rack and the also do installs. Might be worth a call if your in Queens or Western Nassau.

July Auto Wrecking 516-746-0278

I cant see them charging you more than a $1000 to get you back on the road which is still alot but better than the current quotes. I'de offer my garage but if my wife sees another full size Ford in my driveway on stands I'm confident she would cut my throat.

Dont sell it... but if you do let me know first.

Depending on how bad the rear is you can also pull the rear shaft and drive it somewhere local in 4x4.

ummm im like 10 mins from there near great neck.
thanks so much!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM
LI250
Senior User
Cool. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
^Dylans hinting that he wish she would live near him so he can *smooch smooch* with her. Haha. Dylan's blushing...awe.
Pffft no way!

How'd you know!