Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So What Happens with Airport Shuttles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:19 AM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone know what happens to all those diesel airport shuttles when they're done with them?

I was thinking, as I was getting jostled around by a poor shuttle driver, that one of those trucks could make a fine race car tow vehicle/at-track camper...

GregA

Old 06-11-2003, 09:54 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They usally trade them back into the bus dealer they got them from. Sometimes they will sell them outright from their own lots or they try selling them using traderonline or ebay. But most of the time they go back to dealers.

I've seen dealers ask around 10,000 for 2 year old gasers with 100,000 miles. I think new ones they start around $35,000 and thats the really small ones single rear wheels. Also most of the airport shuttles use gas engines and not diesel. They are too smart on that one. I've heard stories that its the airports that tell them to get the gas engines. Which don't make sense to me cause them planes make more noise and polution then the diesel buses do.

here are a couple exapmles of what dealers have.
http://www.buscrazy.net/

http://www.used-bus.com

Good ones to get are eldorado and startrans (but still check the floors for rotting) (They use I think 5/8 plywood under the rubber floor)

bad ones are metrotrans ( they had some problems in the past with their under body cross frames and caging)( they used too light of steel)

Old 06-19-2003, 07:27 PM
TimC63
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

I realize you are on the other side of the USA, but there is a used bus dealer in Tacoma, WA that has many retired shuttles... as SeaTac airport is 15 miles away.

However, their website, nwbus.com, could give you an idea of what is available and what they are asking for their shuttles. Their online inventory listed several of the good and bad brands mentioned by wolfmanagh including their asking price (quite a few diesels listed).

Just drove by the place when going camping last weekend, thought the info might be helpful to your creative mind!

Have fun,

TC