Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Giving it Another Run Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM
phinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Giving it Another Run Today

My truck's been running great for the past month and we're taking the trailer for another spin today! We changed the water pump last night (Thanks for the video, Trey!). It had some good play in the shaft and was making some pretty good noise. We're running 2 cycle in the fuel and can't believe how smoother and quieter the engine runs. 400 miles this week - wish us luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear, good luck on your adventure!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM
phinner
Senior User
Thumbs up Overall, I Would Say a Success

So, we put 486 miles on the truck pulling the trailer over 5 days. The engine ran fine - didn't die, didn't overheat. We had one issue and one concern. The issue happened about 390 miles into the trip when the horn started blaring on its own - scared the crap out of the wife. I, eventually, pulled over and pulled the fuse to remedy that. Haven't looked into it too much, but I think it may have something to do with the clockspring. It was the first time I really used the cruise control since I've had the truck and that's when the horn started having it's issues. I'll look more into that.

My concern was - we left Tuesday morning and after 100 miles, we pulled into a rest stop to let the dog run around and do his duty. When we left to get back on the freeway, the engine was making the same sound it does when the EBP valve is closed - that 727 taking off sound. I don't recall it doing it the last time we pulled the trailer and it didn't do it all the time - maybe 50% of the time. I really only noticed it taking off from a stop, but I suppose it could be closing at freeway speed, too. If I ran the RPM's up at 1900-2000, it seemed to open quicker (if that's what it is). It doesn't do it if the trailer isn't hooked up. It also seemd like I had to put a little more foot into it to keep the speed up at 65 MPH. That's why I'm thinking it's randomly closing. What actually controls the valve opening and closing? And is there a way test it without having the wife sit in the engine compartment while I drive down the freeway with the trailer hooked up? I suppose I could disconnect it since I don't think I need it here in sunny California, but I would really like to just fix it.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ebpv would sound like a "hiss" out of the tail pipe. what i believe you are hearing is, the clutch on the cooling fan locking in for more air movement and faster cooling. some one else can explain it better i'm sure but you get the idea. just the cooling fan,nothing to worry about.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Yup! Thats what my F250 sounded like when pullin up a grade with the trailer. Next time you hear that sound look at the temp gauge and you may see it reading a little above normal. When temp cooled down the sound was gone! Now my F350 dually has yet to kick the fan on pullin the same hill with trailer. Not complaining though !

Smokie

Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM
phinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Yup! Thats what my F250 sounded like when pullin up a grade with the trailer. Next time you hear that sound look at the temp gauge and you may see it reading a little above normal. When temp cooled down the sound was gone! Now my F350 dually has yet to kick the fan on pullin the same hill with trailer. Not complaining though !

Smokie
I suppose that would make sense - it was over 100° this time, whereas in April it was in the low to mid 70's.