One of the most common problems with IBC Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 458 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
AH! new information...

I've noticed that there are substantially more problems with the systems that have a secondary in-bed plug...

personally I always just run the pigtail over the tailgate, and I've never had a single false problem. If it says "TBC fault" or "trailer disconnected"... it's correct.
I think anytime you add connections there is an increased possibility of loose connections.

Steve

Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Each time I have had a problem with the brakes, I have tried the bumper plug, with the same results as with the bed plug. But, this has all been after the bed plug was added.
At one time, the problem was in the underframe connector and the lock clip was broken when the plug was pulled apart--this hasn't helped the long-term dependability of the system. Still, doesn't change the fact that Ford has placed a non-waterproof connection in a very vulnerable place. However, there are lots of Superdutys pulling trailers NOT having this problem, so guess the plug works most of the time.
I would not want the harness hanging over the tailgate just because of the rubbing it would do on the finish.

Steve, have you had any experience with the EZ-Connector plugs? Have seen the videos and online ads, but not heard of anyone using one yet.

Joe

Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
thombabb,
Did you ever have to replace the underframe 7-pin that RV Tech has in the picture? If you did, what type of connector did you replace it with?
Joe
I have never had to replace that connector. On this truck I had that connector apart when I wired the 7-pin (truck had a 6-pin when I bought it). I didn't like the way it sealed, so I took a big piece of heat shrink and slid it over the connector and shrunk it.

Never had any problems with that connector on any of the other trucks.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
Each time I have had a problem with the brakes, I have tried the bumper plug, with the same results as with the bed plug. But, this has all been after the bed plug was added.
At one time, the problem was in the underframe connector and the lock clip was broken when the plug was pulled apart--this hasn't helped the long-term dependability of the system. Still, doesn't change the fact that Ford has placed a non-waterproof connection in a very vulnerable place. However, there are lots of Superdutys pulling trailers NOT having this problem, so guess the plug works most of the time.
I would not want the harness hanging over the tailgate just because of the rubbing it would do on the finish.

Steve, have you had any experience with the EZ-Connector plugs? Have seen the videos and online ads, but not heard of anyone using one yet.

Joe
I do not have any experience with them.

Steve

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I believe the Sil-Bond 4500 mentioned above is an acetoxy cured RTV, which has that "vinegar" smell of acetic acid. It is kinda' corrosive to copper and brass.

There are better RTVs to use on electrical connections. Sil-Flex-7500 is an example, and doesn't corrode.

Pop

Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're good, you can slip it through the crack at the bottom.

The good thing about hanging the pigtail over the tailgate (if done correctly) is that it has exactly zero motion. The only thing it touches is the plastic cap on the tailgate. You have to run the pigtail all the way to the hitch, then back from the hitch to the plug below the bumper. This fixes the length of the wire run. If you don't go all the way to the hitch, the needed wire length changes around turns, and that's where you get motion from.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
if you're good, you can slip it through the crack at the bottom.

The good thing about hanging the pigtail over the tailgate (if done correctly) is that it has exactly zero motion. The only thing it touches is the plastic cap on the tailgate. You have to run the pigtail all the way to the hitch, then back from the hitch to the plug below the bumper. This fixes the length of the wire run. If you don't go all the way to the hitch, the needed wire length changes around turns, and that's where you get motion from.
I have only seen one person ever have trouble with plugging into the seven-pin below the bumper. It was a horse trailer and the seven-pin cord to the trailer was so long when they turned it hooked over the edge of the fender and ripped the junction box clean off leaving the wires dangling. Wild huh? Longest cord I had ever seen!

Steve

Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,144 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Here's what I did to mine. Been like this since I bought the truck new in August 2005.

There has only been that dent in the protective cover since I did it. Works great for my 5er.