Sewer hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sewer hose

Im not completley new to rving but we upgraded our trailer and are going on a trip.
Be camping in commercial campsites , which is something we havnt done much seeing how most camping here is remote.

So my next question is whats a "rigid connections sewer line"?
I see one of our reserved campsites require this.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 459 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
Im not completley new to rving but we upgraded our trailer and are going on a trip.
Be camping in commercial campsites , which is something we havnt done much seeing how most camping here is remote.

So my next question is whats a "rigid connections sewer line"?
I see one of our reserved campsites require this.
Ken,

I am assuming they mean one of the screw in ells that fastens to the opening your hose dumps into. That is no just dropping the hose into the hole or using a donut around the hose.

Steve

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Ken,

I am assuming they mean one of the screw in ells that fastens to the opening your hose dumps into. That is no just dropping the hose into the hole or using a donut around the hose.

Steve
thanks ..................do you suppose they are all the same?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
thanks ..................do you suppose they are all the same?
Ken,

There are several different styles that mate to your dump house, blue ends, red ends, etc. and the concern, at least in my experience is to get one that you can connect your hose to. The male thread that mates to the PVC coming out of the ground sleeves down to fit either 4" or 3" so I have never seen a problem on that end. Just screw your ell on and attach your hose and you should be good to go.

If you are still unsure, give em a call and I am sure they will tell you what they mean.

Steve

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Lake Rat Jim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most camping supply stores will sell an ell that has a few different thread sizes on the sewer end of the ell. They will then work on nearly every campsite connection you will encounter. Never had one that mine won't hook up to. As Steve said, just make sure the RV side of the ell will hook up to your size hose.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...sal-elbow/1615

Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Another sewer question, when you are trying to flush your tanks how do you get water into them?
Do you have to run water through your whole system or is there a way to get water right into sani tanks?
Kind of dumb theres no way to flush direct?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
A lot of RVs have flush kits installed in the black tank. A hose connects to a port on the outside of the camper near the sewer connection. If you don't have that;

1) Empty black tank
2) Close valve and run water down the toilet until the tank is near full of clean water
3) Empty black tank again
4) Repeat as desired

Always keep a little water in the black tank unless you are storing it for long periods. That keeps things 'fluid'.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by thomabb
A lot of RVs have flush kits installed in the black tank. A hose connects to a port on the outside of the camper near the sewer connection. If you don't have that;

1) Empty black tank
2) Close valve and run water down the toilet until the tank is near full of clean water
3) Empty black tank again
4) Repeat as desired

Always keep a little water in the black tank unless you are storing it for long periods. That keeps things 'fluid'.

How do you run water down the toilet ?
Sani station I went to had all spring mounted short hoses that barley reached tank filler opening.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
How do you run water down the toilet ?
Sani station I went to had all spring mounted short hoses that barley reached tank filler opening.

Hold down the flush mechanism. In the long run it is often better to install the spray in the tank that hooks up on the outside of the trailer. The installation is a no brainer, if you can see your black water tank.

Steve

Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,524 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Don't forget to drop some black/gray water treatment in once in awhile to keep things smelling fresh.

Many to choose from:

Search - Camping World

Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I hit the dumping station, I have a 5 gallon old distilled water jug that I keep with me. The kind that has a 3" fill hole and about a 1/2" vent port. Before I unhook the water at the sight, I fill the 5 gallon jug with water in the tub. This way when I Get to the dump station, after the black is empty-ish, I have a quick flush right there to pour down the toilet.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, and before I found this 5 gallon jug, I used to take the 3 gallon wastebasket we used in the bathroom and fill in at the dump station hose and pour that down the toilet.

Either way, I think the clear 45 sewer elbow is a must. Best to know when it's running clear and empty before you disconnect or switch over to grey water.

One other trick I use, on the last day I make sure all toilet flushes are "long flushes." I want as much clear water in there as possible. The more clear water there is, the better it dumps in the first place. I'll even fill the toilet a few times and flush all that straight clear water in while I'm in there filling my 5 gallon jug.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another trick I have used is to dump a 10 or 20 pound bag of ice down the toilet before I leave the camp site ( only on warm days of course) the ice combined with driving does a fine job of scrubbing the tank clean.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
another trick I have used is to dump a 10 or 20 pound bag of ice down the toilet before I leave the camp site ( only on warm days of course) the ice combined with driving does a fine job of scrubbing the tank clean.
Interesting trick. I might try that just for fun!