May need cam phasers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does your hookup charge to scan codes for you? Free at the parts store, but can they interprete the info and suggest repairs? I recently paid $105 to get a diagnoses from a local dealer; was extremly dissapointed, i didnt get intuition or opinion beyond replace the motor for $6K and thier work was sloppy. I suggest if your paying money for a pro to diagnose, then you should get accurate information about your vehicle and the steps he/she would take to correct the deficienancy. Replacing the motor due to a miss, is casting a wide and expensive net that i cant af -Ford cause i own 4 of them. There's got to be a better way!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 PM
DCrusher
Junior User
The reason they're doing that is because they don't know any more than you do most auto repair facilities have turned into replace until it fixes it. I have a mechanic that lives across the street from me and I've talked to him about little issues and he starts talking about replace this replace that it needs this and that should fix it after a $1000 your good to go. Worked on a Chevy with him and after replacing the crank sensor and replacing this and replacing that come to find out it was out a 180 that was it. That was the day I figure out he doesn't know any more than me and he's ASE cert I like to look and do a lot of troubleshooting before I throw parts at it. ONE thing for sure all this computer crap is driving me more and more to my old cars and trucks. These cam phasers and crap like that I never thought that was a good idea along with the 3' foot chains driving your cams I own one 97 4.6L triton motor guess what that's the last one.

Originally Posted by pswann64
What does your hookup charge to scan codes for you? Free at the parts store, but can they interprete the info and suggest repairs? I recently paid $105 to get a diagnoses from a local dealer; was extremly dissapointed, i didnt get intuition or opinion beyond replace the motor for $6K and thier work was sloppy. I suggest if your paying money for a pro to diagnose, then you should get accurate information about your vehicle and the steps he/she would take to correct the deficienancy. Replacing the motor due to a miss, is casting a wide and expensive net that i cant af -Ford cause i own 4 of them. There's got to be a better way!

Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 PM
pswann64
Junior User
DC, I agree with you that a good many techs dont know anymore than we do, but that's true in any skilled trade, isnt it. There's some really fine ones also, a good many on this forum, that I wish would chime in here and give us some direction.
My point is I don't like paying a fair or reasonable price for low quailty work or inferior product. I'm a loyal Ford customer; I own 5 Superduty trucks, latest one being 2013 F250,SD,SC long bed, 6.2 gasser, auto. I work the heck out of them in my business and I'm not sure there's a viable alternative to them. However I do think Ford has delivered us some sorry products in the last decade or so.
I see you own/owned a 6-oh diesel, hope you've had better luck than me with it. I paid a premium to get that motor in my truck and I'm still paying for it, LOL. 5.4L 3V is another fine example. Both these motors have really cost FORD owners considerable money and down time. For me it's just business, but my record with FORD is 50-50 My o1 5.4L 2V is about indestructable 262,000 miles, never been into the motor save 2-3 helicoiled plugs and normal maint. My 04 6-oh has been a dog, cost me at least $14K and just finished O/C, sinister EGR cooler, mods and updates, PITA to work on. 05 5.4l 3v dog, basically needs motor replaced at 140K miles. F800 Dump truck, flawless performer, oh but that has cummins motor and eaton trans,LOL. Hoping the new 6.2 gasser will be the book end to the 01 5.4L 2v. Good luck to you!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:12 PM
DCrusher
Junior User
Ya I'm a big Ford fan I love them I couldn't firgure out why change something that works for many years but hell I thought I would try one of these new engines. I thought it was nice, it worked I bought a 4.6L 5 speed standard they ( Hilcher Ford ) didn't even have it on the front lot it was on their storage lot had 3 miles on it thought cool it now has 150K on it now its just little nickel dime stuff that is annoying the spark plugs and wires have been changed twice with less than 10K mile on the sub standard ( Cheap my fault for that ) set so bought all motorcraft this time had the same problem you did P0303 on mine this happened after I pulled the intake because I had a leak that was leaking into the 1 or 5 cyclinder and if the truck sat for any time it would hydra lock. I think I've got that fixed I'm crossing fingers I haven't had a CEL yet and it's due for that dredded Texas inspection. With this still I love Fords I just don't feel that I know enough about these new engines that they scare me and they keep adding more and more stuff to them that frighten me. As for taking it to a mechanic I've never taken one to anyone, don't trust anybody touching my vehicles the only thing I don't feel comfortable about is front end alignments. I would love to learn how to do them or even get it close. Yes the 03 diesel has 160K on it. One thing for sure it's a gas hog most of the time it sits now I use it for the car hauler. It's been the best damn truck maintenance wise a water pump has been about the only major thing happen on the diesel would I buy another diesel hell yes.

Originally Posted by pswann64
DC, I agree with you that a good many techs dont know anymore than we do, but that's true in any skilled trade, isnt it. There's some really fine ones also, a good many on this forum, that I wish would chime in here and give us some direction.
My point is I don't like paying a fair or reasonable price for low quailty work or inferior product. I'm a loyal Ford customer; I own 5 Superduty trucks, latest one being 2013 F250,SD,SC long bed, 6.2 gasser, auto. I work the heck out of them in my business and I'm not sure there's a viable alternative to them. However I do think Ford has delivered us some sorry products in the last decade or so.
I see you own/owned a 6-oh diesel, hope you've had better luck than me with it. I paid a premium to get that motor in my truck and I'm still paying for it, LOL. 5.4L 3V is another fine example. Both these motors have really cost FORD owners considerable money and down time. For me it's just business, but my record with FORD is 50-50 My o1 5.4L 2V is about indestructable 262,000 miles, never been into the motor save 2-3 helicoiled plugs and normal maint. My 04 6-oh has been a dog, cost me at least $14K and just finished O/C, sinister EGR cooler, mods and updates, PITA to work on. 05 5.4l 3v dog, basically needs motor replaced at 140K miles. F800 Dump truck, flawless performer, oh but that has cummins motor and eaton trans,LOL. Hoping the new 6.2 gasser will be the book end to the 01 5.4L 2v. Good luck to you!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Moose83
New User
Sorry pswann. When I said getting hooked up I meant I was takin it in to the dealer to have it hooked up to the computer system they have. I haven't had the chance to get it there yet. They charge $60. I'm scarred to take it in though lol

Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Hey Moose, I think that's a gr8 idea and the money on it seems right enough. In retrospect I would have liked to been with the tech when they looked at mine. In theory the ford dealer should have the best scanning technology available-Probably Rotunda and capable of a full brain scan,LOL. That would be very insightful in the right hands, cause your getting real time feed back about all possible systems-Contribution test, injection, timing, etc. In short they should b able to pin point the issues for you.
I can't do that with my scan tool. I havent fooled with mine this weekend either, but did considerable research on 5.4L 3v timing and related issues. Good luck with it and post back when u gt it looked at. Patrick.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Moose83
New User
Yeah there soft wear should be way better then ours but who knows if they are smart enough to use it and understand it. If I had a garage I would probably try to tackle this myself but I don't so I have no other options.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM
pswann64
Junior User
Moose, either way I think I'd let them make the diagnoses if they'll walk you through it. $60 is cheap and if you can get a good tech familiar with the 5.4 you should be in good shape. Heck if your comfortable with the diag, and they've got a sound plan and decent numbers, then let em at it. You could always say thanks and find you a good independant you trust to make the repairs. Information is knowledge,knowledge is power! good luck and let us know the results. patrick

Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Moose83
New User
Yeah I think I'll take it in tomorrow morning. I'll let ya know

Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Moose83
New User
So here's the million dollar answer. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been trying to save money so I can afford the repairs. I took it to the dealer today and it turns out, are you ready.....? It's the ALTERNATOR! it's producing a strange frequency that is causing my coils to fire improperly and tripping the cam sensor. I don't understand it and neither did they but when we unplugged the alternator it ran like a dream and the you could see the sound disappear on the computer screen.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Originally Posted by Moose83
So here's the million dollar answer. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been trying to save money so I can afford the repairs. I took it to the dealer today and it turns out, are you ready.....? It's the ALTERNATOR! it's producing a strange frequency that is causing my coils to fire improperly and tripping the cam sensor. I don't understand it and neither did they but when we unplugged the alternator it ran like a dream and the you could see the sound disappear on the computer screen.
Moose good hearing from you man! Believe it or not I've heard that story several times. IF current ALT is non Motorcraft component or your original ALT has worn armature/windings/etc then its possible that it's causing enough interference to jink your timing. Sounds like you got to witness that miracle, is that correct? Was the test performed while under a load(i.e. dynamic) or was it static (i.e. in a shop bay)? I think that bears some relevance but either way I sure hope it cures your Ills. New 115 amp Motorcraft alt (should run you +/-$365.00 and shop time to replace shouldn't be more than 1.5 hours Max @ 105 per hour. Total exposure on that shouldn't exceed $525 Thanks for posting back Moose and let us know if that cures it.

Pat

Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Moose83
New User
Yeah I got to see it for myself. We did the test on the road. Truck wouldn't go over 40mph. I'm buying the part myself for $199 and putting it in myself. They would do it for $400 but I may as well save some cash

Old 08-01-2013, 05:26 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Originally Posted by Moose83
Yeah I got to see it for myself. We did the test on the road. Truck wouldn't go over 40mph. I'm buying the part myself for $199 and putting it in myself. They would do it for $400 but I may as well save some cash
Way to go Moose! Getting to see it myself would seal the deal for me also. Is the price you state for a new Motorcraft brand Alternator? 115 amp? If so that's a really good price man. I googled one for kicks for an '07 5.4L XLT and it came back at $365 I'm sure remanufactured would work but I'd make sure it's got the motorcraft brand on it. Anyway glad you resolved your issue! Pat

Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Moose83
New User
No it's from napa. The dealer wanted $320 and another $80 to install. They also offered to install one that I bring them but I trust napa parts and am fully capable of the install. So this time I'll save the moola. Just glad it isn't going to be an expensive repair I was really expecting the worst. Good luck with your truck and again sorry it took so long to get back to you guys.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
New to this thread and congrats on this being a relatively simple and "cheap" repair---much, much less than it could have been!

So far I've used two NAPA top line alternators costing just at $185 each new and they've been outstanding their whole life. With their own lifetime warranty there's no other way to go IMHO.

Don't forget to change or at least check your serpentine belt too---good insurance if it even looks a bit sketchy.

Quick Reply: May need cam phasers.