May need cam phasers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Moose83
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May need cam phasers.

Hey guys I'm new to the site, I have an 06 f150 with the 5.4. I've had the truck for about three years now and I've had every problem in the book so far. Last month I was passing a semi and my truck started running like crap and had no power really at all. I changed the cam positioning sensor that the computer was throwing a code for and it didn't help. All signs lead to phasers, any thoughts? Also I parked the truck in my driveway about 3 weeks ago and foolishly haven't moved it since, today I went out to move it and the truck won't even turn over. I don't even get a click when I turn the key. Battery is fine all the fuses are good bit no power to the ignition. Could these two problems be related and where do I go from here?

Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Welcome to the site! I don't think your issues are related. Try starting at the most basic diagnosis; i.e. no start first. You say battery is good, have you checked the voltage, checked it under a load? do the headlights and door chimes come on when you attempt to start it? Check ground and battery terminal connections. Get it running first then you can look at codes, symptoms and begin to diagnose why it's running poorly.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Moose83
New User
I got it started turns out the starter went bad. I replaced the coil on cylinder 6 as per the code. Truck seems to have power again and stopped throwing the misfire code. However the CPS on bank 2 is still tripping the light also an intermittent code for the same thing. I already changed the sensor, fuel filter, air filter, all spark plugs, changed the oil again because I have a leak and the level was low. The truck still runs sloppy and idles like crap. Other than the timing what else can I try?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM
pswann64
Junior User
Moose, sounds like your making progress! Now that you have it running,put it through a drive cycle and see what, if any codes show up. Post the results back and maybe we can diagnose the runing like crap issue.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Moose83
New User
It is still throwing a code for the cam positioning sensor on bank two. Also an intermitant cam positioning sensor on bank two. I don't know why it's still coming on and running like garbage

Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Moose83
New User
It mostly runs rough at low idles like OD or shifting into the next gear.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Moose, what specific codes are you retreaving? I know you said it's for CPS, did u replace both sensors? your earlier post says you changed spark plugs-are they motorcraft plugs? did u use anti sieze compound on them? I have similar issue on my 05 SD,5.4L 3V Mine is PO300=random misfire, and PO306=cyl 6 misfire. I've changed Plugs and coil pack on that cylinder and my miss returns at all speeds and sets cel each drive cycle. I'm going to swap #6 injector with another one and see if the code follows that injector. I'm not certain what to do next on yours, ck wiring harness to and from CPS to see if it's chaffed or grounding possibly? Not sure, maybe someone else will jump in and lend a hand. Post back with results. Frustrating isnt it?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Moose83
New User
It sure is. I love fords but I hate this motor! I can't remember the exact code I borrowed a code reader. The missfire code went away. I drove about twenty miles to pick my wife up and that code never came back. Yes I bought the motorcraft plugs. Everything I have replaced I made sure was the right part. I don't cheap out on parts and I male sure all the specs are exact or I get it from the dealer. The wire harness seems to be just fine. I only changed the sensor on the side it was reading bad on. I spoke to a ford tech again at the dealer and they think phasers. But from what I have read the phasers won't make the truck run rough just a loss of power. Is that accurate? Timing chain slipping sounds reasonable but that's just as invasive and I don't have the ability to do that job here.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Moose thats great man,your code free. As for the VC timing on our trucks I know little about it, other than what i've read. I'm about to get real educated on it becouse i think mine is timing related. I'm going to swap the injector, but with a stethoscope it makes the same sound as the others on that bank-who knows?? My truck has considerable valve noise on the top, indicative of bad phasers. The phasers have a pin on them that is a known weak point, it shears and causes problems-again from what I've read on the forum. Other issue is the VCT solenoids, they have small screens on them that can get damaged, then you have two timing chains and related plastic guides and tensioners. Wish an expert would chime in and give us the info on the timing and how to go about diagnosing it. Parts are expensive, I know that. Best of luck to you and I'll post results on what i find.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Moose83
New User
No no man I'm not code free the cam positioning sensors are still griping the CEL. Just no more miss fire code

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Moose83
New User
I don't know where your located but Howell motors in newfane (niagara county) will diagnose it for $60. Supposedly they put it on there lap top and can pin point phaser issues. I'm taking it in on Friday but I'm going to have them take me through everything step by step and prove to me that's the issue. I have very little faith in dealer shops. There techs are good at there jobs but the management are very shady. Cash means more to them then fixing what's wrong and getting a good reputation. Best of luck to you and your truck. Like I posted earlier I'll report back on this thread with my end results.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM
pswann64
Junior User
Well moose sorry to hear it, i misunderstood and thought you were free of the demons. I just finished test drive with mine. Swapped number 6 injector with number five, hoping my miss would follow, it didn't.
I'm in DFW Texas, but share your feelings on the local dealer. Charged me $100 when I took it in seeking help-Response was put a new motor in it for $5-6K and be done with it. Pissed me off, i've bought five super dutys from them and they can't remember my name. When I got my truck back the tech said it needed plugs replaced due to cracking-Absolute rubbish because I had just put all new plugs in it myself and was super careful with torque specs and amount of anti sieze.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Moose83
New User
Sorry to hear your luck also pswann. Texas huh? Well atleast I know my issues aren't due to the salty road conditions here in NY. I'm betting it's my timing chain. Dealer told me if it's the phaser on bank 2 I'm looking at around $1200 if it's both sides then it's over $2000. Idk my truck has 164,000 miles I'm not sure if it's worth putting that much cash into fixing.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 AM
pswann64
Junior User
It's always cost benefit approach isnt it. If your handy, new dorman cam phasers are $139.95 each, plus cam followers are recomended so 24 @$12 each, if your lucky u can use old valve cover gaskets. Time on the job is +/- 8 hours. You could probably find a good independant mechanic with a good reputatuion for say $50-60 an hour so $480 give or take for labor. Maybe cheaper if you shop around. I'll do mine myself, if you need info on the job let me know and I'll send you some links from the forum.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Moose83
New User
Thanks man. All the shops near me won't even touch it. I'm getting it hooked up in the morning at the dealer to find out exactly what's causing all this. Good luck to ya hope it goes smoothly for you

Quick Reply: May need cam phasers.