Sponsored by: Moser

what is drone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM
riverguideguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is drone?

im lookin for new mufflers for my hiboy and i been checkin out all kinds of auto and truck forums online and the one word that keeps poppin up over and over again is DRONE DRONE DRONE but no one ever explains what it is. what the hell is drone

Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drone is kinda like if you hum at a content level. Some say it's annoying, but it doesn't bother me.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Put some loose change in your ashtray, when cruising down the road at a steady rpm the coins start to "dance" that's exhaust drone (it kinda makes a "Hmmmmm" noise that 460FM mentioned above).

It's caused by the turbulence through the mufflers resonating through the frame and floor boards (i'm sure there's a more scientific explanation, but we'll just go with this one for now ).

Things you can do to alleviate it are...have a properly routed exhaust, install a crossover pipe (X or H), use rubber mounted hangers, use sound deadener and good floor matting..... or just turn up the radio.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Glass packs are usually the ones guilty of drone. Not always but a good majority of trucks that drone have some sort of glass packs. As said above, crossovers (x pipes help).

My fathers ranchero gt had magnaflows with no crossover and it droned like a ******* at idle. It rattled that little truck like nobody's business. I liken it to haveing a little single engine prop plane in the cab.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:37 PM
liquor crazy
Junior User
I used to have a 2500 ram with the cummins I had a bunch of work done to it . before I sold it I had tried a big single turbo instead of twins and w no muffler just the turbo and 5 in pipe all the way out the back, that thing when it reached 2000 rpm on highway felt like your ears were going to pop. it was weird .

I had rode in other trucks and they didn't have that same loud deep constant annoying sound. like a gang of 200 people humming as loud as they can .

in retrospect a muffler would have been a good option. but I enjoyed it then being obnoxious and blowing smoke on people, racing beating mustangs and Hondas, but have matured a little since then.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
riverguideguy
Senior User
ahh i get it now i hear that sound mostly on ricers i just never knew it was called drone. i was leaning towards flowmasters cuz everyone says they are best but everything i read on em that drone word comes up. i was lookin at glass packs to anyone ever use cherry bombs or purple hornies? seems like every new truck around here has that flowmaster sound which is kinda boring. i want something more tough sounding but not crazy loud like strait pipes.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:08 PM
stp1971
Freshman User
Ever have a woman go on and on and on and on about nothing you care about? That's drone. J/K

I've always associated it with a metallic humming noise that comes on at certain RPM's or speeds. Ever seen a metal tuning fork? Hit them together and they make that vibrating humming sound. The vibrations in the metal forks are caused by specific frequency. Same thing the specific frequency of the exhaust note at certain pitches will cause the metal to make that sound.

My motorcycle does the same thing at certain speeds.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by stp1971
Ever have a woman go on and on and on and on about nothing you care about? That's drone. J/K

I've always associated it with a metallic humming noise that comes on at certain RPM's or speeds. Ever seen a metal tuning fork? Hit them together and they make that vibrating humming sound. The vibrations in the metal forks are caused by specific frequency. Same thing the specific frequency of the exhaust note at certain pitches will cause the metal to make that sound.

My motorcycle does the same thing at certain speeds.
To sum it up, it's called "resonance" or the first harmonic.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by riverguideguy
anyone ever use cherry bombs or purple hornies?
If they're louvered core i'd shy away, if they're perforated core go for it.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
the sound of a short fat glasspack can not be beat, IMO. the thrush welded do sound pretty good too. i've got those on my chebbie plow truck, there is some drone at idle, but that's it.

the dent wears a single short fat glasspack, again, some drone at idle, but nothing at speed.

as HIHO said, look for a perforated core vs a louvered core. Every thrush i've looked at is perforated FWIW. they may make a louvered core, but i've never run across one.

shorter = louder
longer = quieter.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM
riverguideguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
If they're louvered core i'd shy away, if they're perforated core go for it.
Originally Posted by meborder
look for a perforated core vs a louvered core.
how do I tell the difference between the two??
happy dads day to all you dads out there

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
If you look down the inside of a glasspack, and you see little fins sticking up towards the inside of the pipe, it's louvered. If there are just a bunch of holes like perforated pipe, its a perforated core

Louvered

Perforated

It's true that packs are often the culprit of droning. Mine was terrible when the muffler was right under the passenger floor and dumped right there. After I moved the muffler rearward about a foot and put a 45 degree turndown, no issues.

-Jameson

Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
^ ditto

Those pics look familiar

Go perforated core only.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
^ ditto

Those pics look familiar

Go perforated core only.
Found em' on Google

x2 with perforated. Louvered tends to blow out fiberglass, and they are directional

-Jameson

Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jgavac
Found em' on Google
As did I

Someone asked this very question a few months ago......nobody uses "search" anymore.

Quick Reply: what is drone?