Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cheapskate infinity add ons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 PM
flavo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheapskate infinity add ons?

I've talked myself into getting the infinity. The egt probe thru them is about $200 with shipping.
Then the fuel pressure stuff is about another 150 plus shipping.

I'm wondering how to go about getting the needed supplies for the least amount.

For example, They recommend going with this FP sensor. Justin said, as long as it's a 0-5v sensor, it should work with the infinity.
Autometer Sender for 100 psi Oil and Fuel (Full Sweep) #2246 - Gauges- Misc. - Gauges

And that is connected to a 10 pin serial cable from drew tech.

__________________________________________________ ____

As for the EGT probe:

Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Hi Mike,
You can use any standard K-type thermocouple(EGT probe) you would like. You would just have to purchase the serial cable from Drew Tech($30) and find a circuit board that will convert the millivolts that the thermocouple puts out to a 0-5v range.

So aside from not knowing if 1 serial cable from drew tech will do the job for both.
I'd also like to know if I can put this stuff together for less money and still have a quality product?
Or just get over it and buy it all from DP?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
brwolfjr
Elder User
There is something to be said for buying an entire package from one vendor.
I personaly am not familiar with the infinity, but I do like dealing with Jody and the rest of the DP crew.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM
dealwithit
New User
Sounds like a lot of headache and at least 100-150 in parts plus your time to figure it all out, and assuming your senders for the pressure and the egt match with the signals from the sensors ment for the infinity. It will probably be close, but it sounds like a major pain in the butt to save a couple hundred bucks. Your already spending the 800 on the infinity, what's another 350?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
There all like that. The other scan gauges are the same, you have to buy the addons. If you want that gauge, I'd buy the rest and just bit the bullet.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You need the FP gauge and the EGT gauge. What's easier/cheaper - the DP kit for the Infinity, or ordering/installing some conventional gauges?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by flavo
I've talked myself into getting the infinity. The egt probe thru them is about $200 with shipping.
Then the fuel pressure stuff is about another 150 plus shipping.

I'm wondering how to go about getting the needed supplies for the least amount.

For example, They recommend going with this FP sensor. Justin said, as long as it's a 0-5v sensor, it should work with the infinity.
Autometer Sender for 100 psi Oil and Fuel (Full Sweep) #2246 - Gauges- Misc. - Gauges

And that is connected to a 10 pin serial cable from drew tech.

__________________________________________________ ____

As for the EGT probe:

Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Hi Mike,
You can use any standard K-type thermocouple(EGT probe) you would like. You would just have to purchase the serial cable from Drew Tech($30) and find a circuit board that will convert the millivolts that the thermocouple puts out to a 0-5v range.

So aside from not knowing if 1 serial cable from drew tech will do the job for both.
I'd also like to know if I can put this stuff together for less money and still have a quality product?
Or just get over it and buy it all from DP?
Yes you can buy a different EGT kit, but be very careful doing this. You don't just by a probe and hook it up. You will need an amplifier and a formula needs to be set correctly to be able to read EGT's through the INFINITY. If not done correctly this can cause temps to be read inaccurately. Inaccurate readings for EGT's can be damaging to your engine. Our EGT kit has the correct formula already for you to install and use with the INFINITY. The probe and amplifier are already configured and ready to use. Yes the price has gone up since we first came out with the INFINITY due to supply issues with the first supplier. The guy decided to stop making it and won't make more. Jody found the one we are using now and it has been great with no install issues. It is Inconel for high heat and has a high speed refresh rate for better accuracy.

The least expensive EGT kit you can get through a reputable company like Autometer with a built in amplifier is $189. This gauge will not work with the INFINITY due to the amplifier already being set up to work with their gauge design.

Hope this helps.

Let me or Justin know if you have any more questions.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM
flavo
Senior User
Of course I want them. The question was, can it be done cheaper?
I.E. Do I need to spend $115 for the autometer sender? Can a less expensive, quality item be used in it's place? I'm sure it's not the only sender that can be used.

Regardless, I think the 2nd poster got it right anyway.
The grand total is about $380 for the inputs I need. I might save $100 doing it myself. It's not worth the effort. The point of the tread is if somebody else already figured it out and could tell me how to do it. Then it would be really worth it.

Also, the FP set up isn't plug and play either. DP doesn't offer the serial cable, and I'm not sure about FP adapter. I don't want to have pay shipping 3X to get the FP set up to work. It's kind of silly that DP doesn't offer the needed serial cable to make certain aspects of their device work.
Shipping on the $30 cable is $16 by itself. Petty maybe, But I don't like parting with my hard earned $ if I don't have to.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Of course I want them. The question was, can it be done cheaper?
I.E. Do I need to spend $115 for the autometer sender? Can a less expensive, quality item be used in it's place? I'm sure it's not the only sender that can be used.

Regardless, I think the 2nd poster got it right anyway.
The grand total is about $380 for the inputs I need. I might save $100 doing it myself. It's not worth the effort. The point of the tread is if somebody else already figured it out and could tell me how to do it. Then it would be really worth it.

Also, the FP set up isn't plug and play either. DP doesn't offer the serial cable, and I'm not sure about FP adapter. I don't want to have pay shipping 3X to get the FP set up to work. It's kind of silly that DP doesn't offer the needed serial cable to make certain aspects of their device work.
Shipping on the $30 cable is $16 by itself. Petty maybe, But I don't like parting with my hard earned $ if I don't have to.
I don't quite understand this statement when that is what the EGT kit Jody has put together to use with the INFINITY is for.

Doesn't really matter once the CEI-hub is ready for sale you won't need the EGT kit we have now.

Diane

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
I don't quite understand this statement when that is what the EGT kit Jody has put together to use with the INFINITY is for.

Doesn't really matter once the CEI-hub is ready for sale you won't need the EGT kit we have now.

Diane
Do you guys know when the CEI hub is going to be released?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by cjgray1974
Do you guys know when the CEI hub is going to be released?
We made a design change.

Added:
4 pressure sensors
4 temp sensors

Everything else is the same.

Hopefully it will be done soon!

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
flavo
Senior User
I must have misunderstood. When I purchase the EGT kit, what else is needed to get the FP working besides the sender and fuel bowl adapter for the sender?
Thanks so much!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
flavo
Senior User
We made a design change.

Added:
4 pressure sensors
4 temp sensors

Everything else is the same.

Hopefully it will be done soon!
So should I wait for the hub to come out then? Will it be a better set up? Can you please explain what will be needed for the EGT and FP if the hub is there?
Thanks again

Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I must have misunderstood. When I purchase the EGT kit, what else is needed to get the FP working besides the sender and fuel bowl adapter for the sender?
Thanks so much!

Our EGT kit is ready to drill, tap and plug it in to read EGT's with the INFINITY. For other reading's like Fuel pressure when the CEI-hub is available you can hook that up with our own senders and monitor with the INFINITY.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Diane

Become our Facebook Fan

Last edited by DP-Tuner; 06-10-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Sorry, a lot of confusion about what is being asked
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
flavo
Senior User
Our EGT kit is ready to drill, tap and plug it in to read EGT's with the INFINITY. For other reading's like Fuel pressure when the CEI-hub is available you can hook that up with our own senders and monitor with the INFINITY.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Diane
Ok, so I still need to go through a 3rd party to get that serial cable for FP.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm going to wait until things settle down.

Quick Reply: cheapskate infinity add ons?