1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Introduction and a question

Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
mid-50 sells the script panel that fits right where that one is... nice custom touch... and a very nice truck your wife has..

j

Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harleymsn
LOL, James, did you miss the point that HIS WIFE stole the truck?
Well, it appears I did! Sometimes I can be a bit thick.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:32 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a good looking truck, and your wife obviously has excellent taste. I like your long term plan, a modern engine and suspension with upgraded brakes makes it more fun to drive in my opinion. And I really like your 56 Ford car too. Is it a Crown Vic - it looks like a 2 door hardtop.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM
1low50
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck. The script on the lower bed are aftermarket pieces. Years ago they were sold by Sacramento vintage, but then they quit selling them when I tried to buy them. They were 75 bux for the pair but that was about a decade ago.

I hope they are still being sold as I always wanted a set like those. The plan you have to drive the truck now and fix it a little later is a great plan. You may not want to change it later...

Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Sorry to take so long to reply to all the kind remarks but.... Wife let me drive it today! I went to a friends house to help assemble his Nailhead that he is installing in a 48 Merc, lots of fun. Had a chance to put the truck on his lift and have another good look underneath. Extension panels are definitely the replacements mentioned and not something welded together. I could only find two repaired dents in the right rear fender and one in the left rear. A small piece has been replaced on the front right fender and that is it. I'm sure the bed was replaced as it in to good condition to be original.

Those wheels have to go! funds are just a little tight now and until we decide for sure which direction we are going to take with the truck we'll make do as is.

[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM
jonnireb
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me that Dennis Carpenter or maybe Mid fifties used to sell a panel like that.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kurt G.
Welcome and nice truck, seems everybody has a nicer truck than I, sniff sniff.
Seems like you have a nice truck to me. If I had a Y in the 52 it would be a much easier decision to keep the original engine. I have a 312 in the 56 and it suits my needs just fine.

I have restored a few bikes and vehicles over the years and have found I put nearly as much into the nice ones as I do the basket cases. As I have gotten older I find I don't have the time or energy to start from the ground up, having a head start sure helps.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Welcome, great looking truck. Rimrock is not to far from my location in Prescott, you ought to drive it over, I always have a diet Coke in the frig.
I will be diving the 56 and the wife the F-1 to mile high middle school next Saturday the 15th for the Yavapai Classic Cruisers show. She will be easy to find 52 F-1 with a 53 Whizzer in the back. Maybe we will see you there.

[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your engine must not run or it is out of oil. There is no oil film under the truck. THEY say a Ford Flatty and a Harley All leak oil if they run. So ya are going to have to get a grease gun or put a small hole in the pan.

Think about spending money on some Hi-Pro upgrades to the Flatty instead of spending it on a new later engine. They are so cool and folks love to see them under the hood. And the sound is so unique. And I hear the price is coming down on parts for them as so many folks are running them today. And.. And... And...

But first find a buyer for the Mags and put any steel wheel on her.
Could ya share what ya paid for her? It helps us to keep a line on the current market price.

Arctic

Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Your engine must not run or it is out of oil. There is no oil film under the truck. THEY say a Ford Flatty and a Harley All leak oil if they run. So ya are going to have to get a grease gun or put a small hole in the pan. Arctic
Amazingly the F-1 hardly leaks at all. My friend with the lift (Chevy guy) used to give me a hard time about the 56, said I never needed to change oil just add. Every time I took it to his house you could see everywhere I had been, left a large drop every couple feet. Now it has an occasional trans drip.

I felt we paid too much at 22K for the truck but if was exactly what We were looking for. The more I have checked it over the more I think we did ok. We don't buy them as investments anyway. Enjoy working on and driving them.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by topmoo
That is a good looking truck, and your wife obviously has excellent taste. I like your long term plan, a modern engine and suspension with upgraded brakes makes it more fun to drive in my opinion. And I really like your 56 Ford car too. Is it a Crown Vic - it looks like a 2 door hardtop.
Just a Victoria 2 door hardtop. Original P/S,P/B and power window car with a 312. Engine has been upgraded some for reliability and a C-4 added, makes it a joy to drive.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
Just a Victoria 2 door hardtop. Original P/S,P/B and power window car with a 312. Engine has been upgraded some for reliability and a C-4 added, makes it a joy to drive.
It looks really nice! Those and the Crown Vic, have always been my favorite car of all time! I almost got one way back in high school but had to settle for a $250 56 Chevy convertible instead - I really wanted the Vic but I just couldn't come up with the $750, back in 1967...

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I just got rid of a 55 Town Sedan I had for 13 years. The engine had never been gone through. Other than a set of rockers and an over head valve oil system I put in, it was never touched. And ya when I drove it I filled it with oil than checked the gas. This a 272 Y-block. Some say the Y was the worst Ford ever built. I love em. Like the Flat 8 they are Ford tough.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
I will be diving the 56 and the wife the F-1 to mile high middle school next Saturday the 15th for the Yavapai Classic Cruisers show. She will be easy to find 52 F-1 with a 53 Whizzer in the back. Maybe we will see you there.

[/IMG]
We will probably see you there at Yavapai cruisers. I have my Cobra entered at the KC Paint show down the street and my son in law will be bringing the yellow Mustang to the Cruisers show at the school. I wanted to show the 48 but it is far from being ready.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Man you guys make me sick. Winning cuz ya only got 2 or 3 classics to take out at a time cuz the 4th and 5th ones are not done yet. Ya all sound like Jay Leno or Tim the tool man.

Ya I'm a bit jealous

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introduction and a question