Sponsored by: Moser

question for Ecoboost owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 AM
4trapr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for Ecoboost owners

I have an fx4 with a 3.5L ecoboost. What gasoline do you recomend for best mpg and best for the engine iteslf?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Maybe this will help

Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM
conger
Posting Guru
I'm running 87 reg in mine and it runs fine. Mileage I'm getting about 20 mpg city and 24 on the highway. But that's Canadian gallons with are a bit bigger than US gallons. I'm liking it so far.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
pgiglio
New User
I was doing great the first 2 weeks now I am down to 13.1 13.9 complete disappointing

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM
LTMGlobal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pgiglio
I was doing great the first 2 weeks now I am down to 13.1 13.9 complete disappointing
Towing? Have you changed anything on the truck? What driving conditions? What model truck? Driving style?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
LTMGlobal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 4trapr
I have an fx4 with a 3.5L ecoboost. What gasoline do you recomend for best mpg and best for the engine iteslf?
"best for the engine itself" = doesn't matter as long as it's not contaminated or old.

"best mpg" = you're probably going to need to experiment on this one. I can actually get my mileage up about 1.5 MPG by going with 91 Octane, but my truck has a tune. Not enough to make up the cost difference but mileage does go up some. Some fuel additives bump my mileage up a bit as well, but again, this varies a lot and requires some experimentation.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
I'm using ethanol-free regular in my truck. It gets about 2 MPGs more than with 10% ethanol/gas mix and the exhaust pipe stays clean. (2012 Ecoboost)

Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 PM
LTMGlobal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by captaineddie
I'm using ethanol-free regular in my truck. It gets about 2 MPGs more than with 10% ethanol/gas mix and the exhaust pipe stays clean. (2012 Ecoboost)
I wish more of us could get ethanol free fuel - we can get it but it's on the lake (use it in the boat) and it is PRICEY.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the norm be up to 15% ethanol.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This action needs to be constant until we get the desired results. The same goes for fuel pricing. Sorry about the political rant, but we owe it to ourselves to be informed and involved if we want to continue to enjoy our trucks and auto hobby and activities. If we aren't informed and involved, the bureaucrats and environmentalists will continue to take away our rights and priviledges until all we have left is little econo-boxes for transportation to and from work and no way to pull our RV's, boats, and car trailers to our leisuretime activities. And we get stuck paying the tab through higher prices for everything and lower quality fuel while they enjoy the good and prosperous life. We need to be informed, united, and extremely vocal in order to keep enjoying our trucks. It worked for the environmentalists and it can work for us. That's the only way to stop E15 from happening. Again, sorry for the political tone, but it's fact.

Edited for political content.

Last edited by tseekins; 06-07-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Politics.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
Amen. I was getting almost 15 out of a beat up 4.6 5spd. Not with ethanol running 87 I get 13 at best. That mostly country driving. Up and down hills

Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
Everyone needs to be writing, e-mailing, and contacting your members of Congress and Senators to lobby against ethanol in our gasoline. If they get enough complaints about this issue they'll be forced to contact the Energy Department and White House to force a change in policy. This action needs to be constant until we get the desired results. The same goes for fuel pricing. The auto enthusiast public needs to be the loud squeeking wheel that won't shut up until things are settled. Also, join SEMASAN www.sema/SAN.com (it's free) to keep abreast of policy relative to the automotive and truck enthusiast. Sorry about the political rant, but we owe it to ourselves to be informed and involved if we want to continue to enjoy our trucks and auto hobby and activities. If we aren't informed and involved, the bureaucrats and environmentalists will continue to take away our rights and priviledges until all we have left is little econo-boxes for transportation to and from work and no way to pull our RV's, boats, and car trailers to our leisuretime activities. It does not matter what party or who's in power. They all are catering to the noise of the environmenatalists. And we get stuck paying the tab through higher prices for everything and lower quality fuel while they enjoy the good and prosperous life. We need to be informed, united, and extremely vocal in order to keep enjoying our trucks. It worked for the environmentalists and it can work for us. That's the only way to stop E15 from happening. Again, sorry for the political tone, but it's fact.
I'm not a mod for this group, but we're a truck forum rather than a political one. Can we keep this on topic?

Back to the topic at hand:

I recommend top tier fuel in just about everything. It meets a higher standard for quality and detergent additives that will help keep the engine cleaner. With direct injection it's not going to have the benefit of cleaning the intake valves, but I believe it's still better quality gas.

Top Tier Gasoline

Higher octane may give you a little more power, but your fuel efficiency won't be affected by any perceivable amount.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been experimenting with regular and premium with my Eco lately. Premium improves fuel economy by about 1 mpg over regular in my truck (no change in driving style), but throttle response is a little better. I also use it when I tow, as it's recommended in the manual for towing duty. I can't say that running premium gives the best benefit for normal everyday use though, but I have noticed a difference.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Op, we need to know your truck specs. Just saying 13 mpg's & EcoBoost engine are vague statements. As one could technically buy a stripped XL, reg cab, 2wd with a super tall highway rear-end like a 3.31 and see 24+ mpgs hwy.

However, if you're driving say a kitted up Lariat, Screw, 6' box, Max Tow (7-lug model) with 3.73 rear axle you are going to be sub 20's mpg wise easily. Add larger tires or extra things like tools and such and you get the idea.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I'm not a mod for this group, but we're a truck forum rather than a political one. Can we keep this on topic?

Back to the topic at hand:

I recommend top tier fuel in just about everything. It meets a higher standard for quality and detergent additives that will help keep the engine cleaner. With direct injection it's not going to have the benefit of cleaning the intake valves, but I believe it's still better quality gas.

Top Tier Gasoline

Higher octane may give you a little more power, but your fuel efficiency won't be affected by any perceivable amount.
Tom, I'm not clear on your link about top tier gas. Is it a brand of fuel? Is it a fuel that's well known to have a higher detergent content?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Tom, I'm not clear on your link about top tier gas. Is it a brand of fuel? Is it a fuel that's well known to have a higher detergent content?
Tim, I was wondering the same thing. If you click on "retailers" at the top, LINK, you are provided with the following information:

Originally Posted by TOP TIER Gasoline
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
USA Canada
76 Stations Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum Esso
Chevron Petro-Canada
Conoco Shell Canada
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star