Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Quiter interior sound level

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
4wheeling79
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quiter interior sound level

Like most people with these year model trucks I am tiered of the noise level inside the cab mostly my WIFE as she hates riding in my truck! So today I tore everything out of the cab and I see why they are so loud there is next to no sound deadening material in them. So I ordered up some Dynamat extreme and I will put it on the floor, doors and rear of the cab. I wish I would of measured the noise level before hand but I didn't even think of it but my wife will be a very good judge!

And if you look at the middle left side of this pic you will see a water leak that I didn't know I had.

Tomorrow I will get it all cleaned up and remove the door panels. I couldn't believe the amount of dirt under the driver side.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been saying I was going to do this for the last eight years.......some day I will

good on ya for getting to it!!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, body looks clean under the carpet. My partner put the dynamat in his skidd steer and it was a major difference.

i too have thought about doing this. How much was you matting ? How long to strip the interior seats carpet etc.

As for the leak in the rear passenger side...... Its coming from the body where the two pieces of sheet metal were bonded together. Look at the back window just below the window seal in the right corner. You will see a seam with a epoxy squished out or none at all. That seam is where the leak is.

Take a water hose on low pressure starting at the bottom of the seam and work your way up slowly letting water run on the seam. Poking your head in the cab looking at the weep hole in the corner you will start to see water come out. This will tell you how far the separation is in the epoxy.

From there there was a thread on how to epoxy it back and what to use. My truck is black so a Black hitemp rtv silicone was pressed into the seam from where the leak started up to and under the window moulding with my thumb.

Make sure the surface is clean and dry using soapy water an air hose then some rubbing alcohol with more air to dry. Its tight with the bed being there but it fixed mine. Took 3 applications within a week for it to fully seal. You honestly can't even tell unless you know what your looking for.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Id really like to get that fire wall dynamated, bet that would really quiet it down in the cab.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

if I may be so bold....how much is the Dynomat costing you?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by clem1226
if I may be so bold....how much is the Dynomat costing you?

Heres what i could find for pricing directly from Dynamat. Its a pre cut deal for a chevy 4 door as i couldn't find anything for a SuperDuity. javascript:var%20newWnd=ObjLayerActionGoToNewWindo w('http://www.dynamat.com/download/vss/2652_2002_GMC_Dually.pdf','Trivantis_Popup_Window' ,'width=785,height=600,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,me nubar=1,toolbar=1,location=1,status=1');

WOW pricy. i will measure the sq footage i need for my 4 door sd tomm and see how it differs in price by buying a roll vs the precuts

Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 PM
4wheeling79
Senior User
bakerbuilttracks: (How long to strip the interior seats carpet etc?) It took me about 45min to have everything including the carpet out.

clem1226: (if I may be so bold....how much is the Dynomat costing you?) I bought 48sq ft cost me $370 and I don't think it is even enough.

Home Depot sells some kind of sound deadener with a foil top and sticky back side my cousin swears by it he used it in his mustang through out the floor. I will look into what it is as I may need to get some because im not planning on buying anymore dynamat.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Wow, only 45 minutes to pull everything. I may do that just to give it all a good cleaning. I like the dynamat idea, but I have a hard time spending that much money on it.

I really think there's something I'm missing with the exhaust. I don't think it should be this loud.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

check this out

Ford F550 Super Duty - Diesel Tech - Diesel Power Magazine

I haven't read the whole thing yet but looks to be some good info

and these are the folks the story is about, looks like around 500 will get you a complete kit. Firewall, doors, floor and rear of cab. If you havent already recieved the Dynamat you may want to cancel the order and go with this. It is only $130 more for a complete kit and then maybe the wife would ride with you again

QuietRide Solutions
Quite ride ford catalog
http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs...10_catalog.pdf

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
Wow, only 45 minutes to pull everything. I may do that just to give it all a good cleaning. I like the dynamat idea, but I have a hard time spending that much money on it.

I really think there's something I'm missing with the exhaust. I don't think it should be this loud.
Are you positive the muffler is pointing in the correct direction? If the muffler is reversed it will be louder.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
Are you positive the muffler is pointing in the correct direction? If the muffler is reversed it will be louder.

You are the first person to suggest this. I'm pretty sure I installed it based on the "Magnaflow" stamped into the side, but I don't remember looking that closely. Trying to remember, been a lot of beers since then, haha.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
4wheeling79
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robert6401
You are the first person to suggest this. I''m pretty sure I installed it based on the "Magnaflow" stamped into the side, but I don't remember looking that closely. Trying to remember, been a lot of beers since then, haha.
I have the same muffler and I do not have it backwards and its still loud at certain RPM's especially when the boost level builds. With the exception of mine being 5'' exhaust.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Several of us "sound deadened" our truck cabs using RAAMmat bxtII and PS Ensolite These are the current names for the product. Works great, considerably less cost than dynamat. It is available from RAAMaudio. Worth the effort.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by milleroutdoors
Several of us "sound deadened" our truck cabs using RAAMmat bxtII and PS Ensolite These are the current names for the product. Works great, considerably less cost than dynamat. It is available from RAAMaudio. Worth the effort.

Yes that is some good stuff. A lot cheaper than the other options. I think it was like 250-300 to do the entire truck minus the headliner.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 PM
4wheeling79
Senior User
Well I got all my door panels apart and everything cleaned up ready for the Dynamat. I am also going to order me new door weather striping and also looking at changing out center front seat for a center console. Just hadn't came up with anything yet what I would like to adapt is the 2013 full console but i'm not sure how I could make it look right and they exactly easy to come by. But while i'm looking at doing this I am also looking at new leather seat covers with a little darker gray.
As soon as I get started on the dynamat I will get pics up of the progress.

Quick Reply: Quiter interior sound level