Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak near starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak near starter

My truck has "marked it's territory" for month or so. When I would leave a parking spot there would be a 3" circle of oil towards the passenger side equal with the front axle. It is definately oil, not fuel because I got out to touch and smell it a couple times. It was tan colored and not red so I would guess it isn't ATF either. I only drive the truck a couple times a week so not much driving time has elapsed.

I hauled hogs last night and there was a trail of oil going into the shed. So, now it is time to get serious. I crawled under the truck and it appears to be coming from the general area of where the starter bolts to the engine block. I don't think it was coming from the pan because that area was all cacked up oil, not new fresh oil. I don't think it is coming out the drain hole at the back of the engine. There was an oil drip there, but I think it came from up above and ran down.

I pulled the truck up to the shop and pressure washed the top and bottom side of the engine bay. This should help me track the leack down a little better. What I am after is tips or common leaks in that area. I am never very good at finding these leaks and a little guidance can never hurt.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean the top of your motor with some simple green. Being sure to cover the alternator, power steering pump, and air cleaner, use a water hose to rinse it off after you have let it soak for a while. This should clean the top of the motor off to see where your leak is coming from. There is a weep hole at the back of the motor on the passengers side that will allow fluids to drain down. This will give the appearance of a leak below, when in fact it is on top. I would bet that you have a leak on top of the motor. Not hard to fix, just have to find it first.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
I laid under the truck for about a minute and oil stated pouring out near the top of the starter. Pretty much a solid stream or very steady drip. The problem is I couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

Is the big hole in the block the drain that you mentioned? It wasn't dripping straight out of there, but surface tension could have been taking it over towards the block. Then it could be running down the block from there. The other problem I had was the freaking oil was dripping right on my face when I tried to look at it.

I have pressure washed the engine bay for a second time and I will look at it tonight after things dry out. I think I might take the TC inspection cover off before I try anything tonight. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
About 8 out of 10 times the oil leak is coming from the top of the engine, the other 2 times it will be either the dipstick or oil cooler.

Look closely in the engine valley for any oil. Things that can leak up there include: HPOP, HPOP gasket, IPR, HPOP hoses or fittings, engine block to turbo pedestal, turbo pedestal to turbo, EBPV(on turbo pedestal), oil rail plugs(front and back of each head).

All of the leaks up top will drain down that weep hole, except for the oil rail plugs(you will have to reach back and feel for oil with you hand or use a mirror).

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Did you look in the valley of the engine to see if you have oil running down it? Maybe your drain is plugged up and it is going off the back of the engine.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordtruck661
Did you look in the valley of the engine to see if you have oil running down it? Maybe your drain is plugged up and it is going off the back of the engine.
Pretty much positive it is not in the valley. There was a trace of stuff in there, but it was probably just left over. I felt below the turbo (in the afternoon after the first washing) and didn't feel much besides oil and water. Then when I let it run there was no oil and water mix, just milky already mixed oil and water.

If it is leaking it is back by the turbo or the back of the heads. If it leaks on the back side of the head will it run up front in the valley?

Would it help to put the truck at a crazy angle? (ie nose up or nose down.)

Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by sflem849
Pretty much positive it is not in the valley. There was a trace of stuff in there, but it was probably just left over. I felt below the turbo (in the afternoon after the first washing) and didn't feel much besides oil and water. Then when I let it run there was no oil and water mix, just milky already mixed oil and water.

If it is leaking it is back by the turbo or the back of the heads. If it leaks on the back side of the head will it run up front in the valley?

Would it help to put the truck at a crazy angle? (ie nose up or nose down.)
If it is leaking at the oil rail plug on the back side of the head, then you will not see any oil in the valley or anywhere else besides down on the bottom. It will run straight down the back of the block.

With an oil rail plug leak, it does not matter how you angle the truck. It leaks because of oil pressure.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 05-31-2013, 05:30 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
It was leaking into the valley, but not filling it up like my fuel leak did. It appears to be coming from the back of the HPOP and running across the bottom of the fuel bowl. I have the area cleaned up again and I am going to have my wife start the truck to see if I can feel where the oil is coming from.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Just checked it again and it is pouring out from the HPOP area. I couldn't reach all the way up around the fuel bowl to the HPOP so I can't be certain. I GUESS it is on the AC compressor (non air filter) side because that is where the oil seems to pool up first.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had oil leaking near the starter it was the adapter for the dipstick into the pan.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:57 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Unfortunately (or fortunately for modding) it is the HPOP (area) What kind of HPOP should I look into? I don't need anything crazy, but a little upgrade never hurt anyone.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd talk to Clay @ Riffraff Diesel and get the T500. Price is right and a great improvement.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Ok...I am not sure I know where the HPOP is. I guess I always thought it was the thing before the piece of plastic that says Powerstoke. Then when I look at the HPOPs on Riffraff and Rock Auto they look nothing like that square thing.

My leak is coming from the back of the square thing and dripping back/towards the fuel bowl. So what is that square thing!?!

Scratch that...Google image search helped me find it lol

I saw a picture with the fuel bowl removed. The big square thing is the res and the HPOP sits behind it and under the fuel bowl (?) So maybe the oil is running right off the HPOP.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 PM
fordtruck661
Senior User
Originally Posted by sflem849
Ok...I am not sure I know where the HPOP is. I guess I always thought it was the thing before the piece of plastic that says Powerstoke. Then when I look at the HPOPs on Riffraff and Rock Auto they look nothing like that square thing.

My leak is coming from the back of the square thing and dripping back/towards the fuel bowl. So what is that square thing!?!
That square thing is the hpop reservoir. I could be the gasket that seals it(how ever it is unlikely). Riffraff Diesel: HPOP reservoir gasket w/screen

Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't put the one with the screen in if yours don't have the screen. You can crack it. But I'd say it mitt be the ford unserviceable plug on the HPOP or line fixings.

Quick Reply: Oil leak near starter