1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

fuel loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel loss

I have a 95 7.3. I am having an intermittent fuel loss from my fuel filter. Has to run in limp mode. But will run and drive. Starts 90% of the time. But twice in the last week it has left me stranded. Pull the fuel filter its empty, fill it up, drives fine for a couple days( in limp mode) then does it again. And not giving any warning before hand.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is "limp mode"? Also if the fuel filter canister is empty then either the pump is going bad or some blockage in the tanks. Does it do this on both tanks? With limited information my best guess is a bad fuel pump in the valley.

A bit more information would be helpful such as mileage, how long you owned the vehicle, is everything stock ... etc, write a book if necessary as the more information you provide the easier it is for us to help.

WELCOME TO FTE

Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Limp mode is where the computer shuts down all the sensors that it dont really need. It enables you to limp home. I have had the truck about 8 months. It has 94775 miles on the dash. It had an oil leak thought it wasnt that bad. Rear main seal. When you spooled it hard, it would smoke through the floorboard. It ran good other then that. About a month after i had to tow a car, all the way down it ran fine pulling just the trailer.on the way back it had no power, blowing fuel smoke (gray) out the exhaust. I stopped put a fuel filter in it, no change. Never the less turned out to be 3.5 gallons low on oil. So out came the trans. New rear main, clutch, the works. It was still leaking but ran fine. It was the turbo to pedestal seals so i thought. So i faught that whole ordeal. Got it all back together took it out last Sunday , it was leaking again same place. On my way back it started running like crap. Like on 4 or 6 cylinders. Got back shut it off, started back up running fine but had a check engine light. Scanned it at the shop, and its giving me a p1212 code( no ipc at cranking). If it starts without check engine light, it run like crap (with no throttle control) for a few seconds then dies. Now i have this disappearing fuel problem on top of that.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no such thing as "limp mode". The PCM doesn't shut down any sensors. The fuel problem sounds like your fuel pump is on the way out. Check for oil leaking in the valley on top the engine. It will run out a drain hole in the back of the valley and down the back of the engine. Check the high pressure oil hoses going from the HPOP to each head. Sounds like you may have a high pressure oil leak.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
3 1/2 Gallons of oil? That's empty...impossible.it won't fire injectors that low .limp mode is your truck screaming for HELP! Don't ignore it.something up top is leaking oil.get to looking.there is a lot of possibilutes..and replace the fuel pump,hoses,hard line seals and banjo bolt washers.clean fpr screen and reseal fuel bowl since its gonna b out.if you wanna get crazy reseal ipr o-rings while everything is out.that's a good start at least

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Originally Posted by ReBilld
There is no such thing as "limp mode". The PCM doesn't shut down any sensors. The fuel problem sounds like your fuel pump is on the way out. Check for oil leaking in the valley on top the engine. It will run out a drain hole in the back of the valley and down the back of the engine. Check the high pressure oil hoses going from the HPOP to each head. Sounds like you may have a high pressure oil leak.
The oil leak is running down the side of the pedestal. On the exhaust side of the turbo. So i think i have a crack in the pedestal, or turbo housing. Why will it run pretty much fine with check engine light on, but wont run with it off

Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chad 95 f350
The oil leak is running down the side of the pedestal. On the exhaust side of the turbo. So i think i have a crack in the pedestal, or turbo housing. Why will it run pretty much fine with check engine light on, but wont run with it off
3.5 gallons is nearly empty on your truck. My truck with an extra capacity filter takes 4 gallons total, which is an additional gallon over stock capacity. Are you sure that your EBPV didn't blow out and make you think that it is your pedestal orings?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Agree with ReBilled . Sounds like a valley leak . Ck o rings at high pressure fittings and oil lines . Ck ICP sensor . Sounds like an HP oil issue or a fuel starvation issue . If filter housing is empty , ck fuel pump and tank screens . Sounds like you have a couple of issues . Good Luck !

Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Originally Posted by fordman67
3 1/2 Gallons of oil? That's empty...impossible.it won't fire injectors that low .limp mode is your truck screaming for HELP! Don't ignore it.something up top is leaking oil.get to looking.there is a lot of possibilutes..and replace the fuel pump,hoses,hard line seals and banjo bolt washers.clean fpr screen and reseal fuel bowl since its gonna b out.if you wanna get crazy reseal ipr o-rings while everything is out.that's a good start at least
4 gallons is empty. But yes it wasnt firing the injectors. I got that figured out, its the y after driving it hard, you let it sit, try to start and the wont and the fuel filter is empty. But let it sit for like an hour it will be full and the truck start right up

Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Agree with ReBilled . Sounds like a valley leak . Ck o rings at high pressure fittings and oil lines . Ck ICP sensor . Sounds like an HP oil issue or a fuel starvation issue . If filter housing is empty , ck fuel pump and tank screens . Sounds like you have a couple of issues . Good Luck !
Thank you. But why and how is it refilling itself after sitting for an hour.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
If oil is leaking down the pedestal, then it's more than likely leaking around the EBPV actuator rod that comes out of the pedestal, unless that has been deleted. If that has been deleted already, then it's coming from the turbo.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Originally Posted by glovemeister
3.5 gallons is nearly empty on your truck. My truck with an extra capacity filter takes 4 gallons total, which is an additional gallon over stock capacity. Are you sure that your EBPV didn't blow out and make you think that it is your pedestal orings?
What is the ebpv?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
What is the ebpv?
Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. It sits under your turbo and is designed to expedite cold weather warm ups by increasing back pressure. It is the same thing as Bill talked about a post above.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Welcome to FTE by the way! LOL! I apologize for not doing that first!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
chad 95 f350
New User
Originally Posted by ReBilld
If oil is leaking down the pedestal, then it's more than likely leaking around the EBPV actuator rod that comes out of the pedestal, unless that has been deleted. If that has been deleted already, then it's coming from the turbo.
With a mirror and light you can see that it is coming from where the turbo mounts to the pedestal. And i replaced the o rings and its still leaking.

Quick Reply: fuel loss