1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Power Window Conversion SUCCESS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Window Conversion SUCCESS

Hey Folks,
I just wanted to say "Thanks"" for everyone's input on my power window conversion. I have successfully installed a factory look-alike power window conversion. I hope to write up an article with part numbers and such so if anyone is interested in doing one themselves they can! Here's a quick rundown...

I have never seen a factory ford power window switch on our year trucks. Doing research, I found I could buy a replacement switch but it was just that a switch, no bezel/trim. SO remembering back to my days as an Oldsmobile g-car owner, GM power window switches come with a chrome bezel integrated into the switch...PLUS the switches were "cheap". A two switch drivers side switch cost me $15 and a single passenger switch was $10. I found a great wiring schematic from a GM service manual of the switch and the pin-out. Using the pin-out and schematic I was able to utilize a GM power window switch to control my windows.

I then went and bought two power window regulators w/ motors for about $70 each. I know I could have probably found these in the junkyard for dirt cheap but I was confident I could do this project and that being said, I decided I didn't want a used motor in the event it was near the end of it's life. New guarantees me working windows for a long time.

I made myself a wiring harness, installed the regulator in place of my manual regulator and hooked up with wires. I didn't have the GM power plug for the window switch so I made my own with blade terminals and soldered wire leads that I soldered directly the back of the switch. GM switches have copper posts sticking out of the back so soldering was a breeze.

I hooked everything up, cut a proper size hole in the door panel where the hole for the manual handle was and snapped the switch in. It was a success and I now have working "factory" looking power windows. I've seen kits that power drive the manual regulator but I didn't want the stub of the manual regulator sticking out.

When I can find the time I'll post somewhere the wiring diagrams, switch pin-out and a little more in-depth instruction on how it was done. Also the part numbers and websites I bought the parts from.

Now it's onto finishing the rest of my "to-do" list like installing a backup camera (dorky yes, but I have a cap on the truck and can't see very well backing up).

Thanks for all your help/input/information and keep on trucking!
Al C.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds good! As far as window switch wiring, as far as I know all American and many imports use a similar wiring with both sides ground in the neutral position. You could probably use just about any switches.

Did you mount them in a more convenient location than Ford did before 1992?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd really like to see a picture of the switches and how you integrated them in. As Bill knows I have two sets of switches (one of which travelled half-way across the country and back w/o being used) but the bezels aren't very good on the "correct" ones. And, frankly, the Ford bezels left a lot to be desired for these trucks. So, I've been thinking about what I want to do on switches. Maybe you've found the solution?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 PM
86'F-150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is awesome--congratulations! I've been fantasizing about having power windows for a while. I'd love to see a write up some time.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 86'F-150
This is awesome--congratulations! I've been fantasizing about having power windows for a while. I'd love to see a write up some time.

Thanks All. I'd be happy to share photos but as mechanically intelligent as I can be, I can be computer retarted... Is there a way to post pics on this site? If not I'll shoot a video and throw it up on youtube. Yes, I can shoot video and upload it but I can't figure out how to upload the simplest form of photography; the jpeg photo. Go Figure!!!

Oh and I places centered on the old window crank hole. Marked the center then worked from there to make the cut outs for my switches. They do look pretty good all things considered. Especially being switches of the 80's era they look appropriate as opposed to the newer window kits that include black switches. Black switches were a thing of the 90's, not the early 80's....helllllooooo

Al

Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Sounds good! As far as window switch wiring, as far as I know all American and many imports use a similar wiring with both sides ground in the neutral position. You could probably use just about any switches.

Did you mount them in a more convenient location than Ford did before 1992?
Hey Bill...first off, love the K-Cars thing you got going on. Albeit they were ridiculed they still hold a special place in my heart.... I mean to ask you earlier but where DID Ford mount the original power window switches?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Sorry for the triple post... figured how to post pictures. See below. The drivers side door panel. Granted this is NOT my original door panel, I took it off to clean and dress it up. This was from a jukyard truck and I just sprayed it with "dye" so it looks rather messy...

Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by granny_rocket
Hey Bill...first off, love the K-Cars thing you got going on. Albeit they were ridiculed they still hold a special place in my heart.... I mean to ask you earlier but where DID Ford mount the original power window switches?
Down low from what I remember. I don't have a picture of the earlier panels, but do have a picture of the 87-91 placement.

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM
c-jet
New User
I am new to this site and now registered, but having trouble navigating to find help for what I need.
I have a 96 power stroke with manual windows and a donor that has power windows locks/wremote and and power mirrors that I would like to switch out so that I have the power windows ect.. in my 96.
I am elcectrically illiterate or challenged, but would like to try this.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I've seen the power window conversions that use the existing window crank as the switch. They just have a motor and a device that attaches to the existing window crank (under the panel of course)

Been considering that conversion but too many other project competing for my money

Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM
c-jet
New User
Well I just need to swap the complete door, but beyond that its just figuring out the wiring from the door to the chassis.Thanks

Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by KsCop
I've seen the power window conversions that use the existing window crank as the switch. They just have a motor and a device that attaches to the existing window crank (under the panel of course)

Been considering that conversion but too many other project competing for my money
Dont do that conversion. Ive seen them first hand and they dont work right and they take up quite a bit more room behind the door panel than just picking up actual power window regulators and converting it the right way.

The one you are talking about uses a large motor with a cable drive that goes around a housing that has a splined passageway that spins via the cable. You can go with this style if you really want to, but just some advice from my personal dealings with them, they are cheezy and take up way too much room.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:43 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I've been on the fence about it for just that reason; cheap and does it work right.

I think if I ever get around to it, I'll do it the 'factory' way.

Is there (or will there be) a sticky on the conversion, listing parts needed etc?

Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by KsCop
I've been on the fence about it for just that reason; cheap and does it work right.

I think if I ever get around to it, I'll do it the 'factory' way.

Is there (or will there be) a sticky on the conversion, listing parts needed etc?
it will work right for the most part, its just cheap looking cause it requires you to snap in a black plastic dome where your window crank hole is in the door panel which looks cheezy to me. Then the one that I did work on at work that had it, it caused the door panel to stick out cause the cables werent long enough to stuff it inside the door but had to be bolted to the outside shell of the door under the door panel.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
all in all it is FAR easier to do a factory power window swap. the hardest part would then be wiring the switches. It's really not that hard to wire if you're familiar with electrical wiring schematics. As for the regulator/motor, they can literally be swapped in from almost any F-series truck. I happened to buy mine brand new because I didn't want to have to fix a failed motor down the road...BUT if you hit up a junkyard I'm sure you can get a used regulator/motor combo for $30 ea. (depending on where you go).

I wouldn't waste time or money on the so-called conversion kits that use the old crank hole unless you're serious about power windows but don't want to ruin the originality of the vehicle...as if it was a true antique show piece and will loose many thousands of dollars in value....

anyhoo, that's just my two cents! I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. Were you able to figure out how to wire them up? You can always PM me. I don't get on here all that much.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Power Window Conversion SUCCESS