6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Stop Safely Now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
my truck did this back in march 2012..and it just did it again TODAY.. last time was EGT sensor #4.. now it's #2...this is getting rediculous....

Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 PM
thumbuster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, I didn't buy a new truck to carry repair parts around with me nor my code reader. If I have to do this then I will have Ford by the short hair cuz I just don't think it's reasonable for me to do.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Then delete that crap. I have had 3 trouble free years with that junk off my truck.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thumbuster
Folks, I didn't buy a new truck to carry repair parts around with me nor my code reader. If I have to do this then I will have Ford by the short hair cuz I just don't think it's reasonable for me to do.
I hate to say. But you best get used to this chit happening. And you will be peeing in the wind because ford really don't give a chit like they used to.but its not only ford either.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Are the replacement sensors inserted dry or is graphite paste used?

If the sensor isn't physically damaged (bent etc), why is this not an emission warranty item? For $37, i don't want to be waiting on the side of the road, or a few days to get into the dealer for "free" work, but $270?

While a bit more expensive than the fan belt(s) we used to carry around, the sensor breaks less often than fan belts used to break, and this sensor is a lot easier to get to.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
JohnD. Its best to put anti seize on threads. So next time it will come loose nicely. You can even get little tubes..use it chunk the rest. Or by a small bottle of it.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:27 PM
alexleblanc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just pikced up a code reader and ordered a spare sensor just to throw in the back, never know where i'll be when it lets go. Now that i'm all ready for it, it will most likely never let go!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
$37 for a sensor - where?

Sure wish I could find a $37 sensor. Is there another source other than directly from Ford? At the local dealer yesterday, I paid $67. The parts guy originally quoted $87 but, after my jaw dropped and I just stared at him for thirty seconds, he said he could do it for $67. Saved 20 bucks but really - $67!!!

In my earlier post I said I paid $250 (was actually $275) after I got the "Stop Safely Now" message for the #2 sensor. What a huge rip off - $200 for labor - really. I feel violated all over again now that I know how easy it is to correct the problem.

I too picked up a code reader yesterday, Innova 3100 CanOBD2. Go to Walmat.com for a decent price. I also researched and did a five year online subscription (about $44) to ALLDATAdiy.com, a great resource coupled with your code reader.

Hope this helps someone else and I appreciate all the input on this topic.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out Tousley (it's something else now, link below). I just looked it up, showing $32.80 if I'm looking at the right sensor (EGT).

2012 FORD F-350 Super Duty Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Str8shooter
Sure wish I could find a $37 sensor. Is there another source other than directly from Ford? At the local dealer yesterday, I paid $67. The parts guy originally quoted $87 but, after my jaw dropped and I just stared at him for thirty seconds, he said he could do it for $67. Saved 20 bucks but really - $67!!!

In my earlier post I said I paid $250 (was actually $275) after I got the "Stop Safely Now" message for the #2 sensor. What a huge rip off - $200 for labor - really. I feel violated all over again now that I know how easy it is to correct the problem.

I too picked up a code reader yesterday, Innova 3100 CanOBD2. Go to Walmat.com for a decent price. I also researched and did a five year online subscription (about $44) to ALLDATAdiy.com, a great resource coupled with your code reader.

Hope this helps someone else and I appreciate all the input on this topic.
here is a link to my post where I linked to where I got them for $35.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13679841

Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Check out Tousley (it's something else now, link below). I just looked it up, showing $32.80 if I'm looking at the right sensor (EGT).

2012 FORD F-350 Super Duty Parts - AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

Originally Posted by sdetweil
here is a link to my post where I linked to where I got them for $35.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13679841
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the links, I've saved them.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
In my business, you hear and see all types of accidents. Ive also nearly lost a critically ill cardiac patient from a sensor that shut down the truck. A couple of months ago, it made national news from D.C. where a med unit shut down and caused catastrophic outcome for a patient because of Ford ambulance shutting down during transport. I honestly thought the press would take it and run, but dropped the story after a couple of days. The EMS &FIRE communities are tired of incidents like these. That is why most in my area are now ordering Chevys, Dodges, Freightliners and Internationals. We used to be 95% Ford in our area, now about 50%. It honestly scares me towing through the mountains with my 15k camper wondering what I would do if I saw the "stop safely now" message. Where would I pull over? Some can't delete due to emissions testing and others like several of us don't want to risk fighting Ford over warranty issues because of deletes. I can say this though, our Freightliner fleet now has over a million miles on it without a single failure of EGT sensors. I hate to say this, but it is going to take someone prominent being injured or worse for Ford or NHTSA to take this seriously. You never here of the airline industry having these failures either. This is mainly a Ford problem. And some of you are correct, cheap made sensors and a computer system that can't tell when a sensor is going bad. Yes, I chose Ford for many reasons, but this is getting dangerous.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Golf medik. No it isn't just ford. Many other vehicle lines are battling same issues.

In my area all have dropped fords in ambulance. All Dodge. So we will see how this works after awhile.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I am with HDslider .I see lots of issues with GM sensors failing . Regin failure ect. The only thing I see different , limp mode . Just had a GM in last week . Failed sensor , no regin , but was in "limp mode " Drove to my shop . Replaced sensor , forced regin with my Modis ( crazy temps ) he drove away happy ? ! He just bought the truck used , going home . See EGT sensor issues often . Also see VGT issues on INT trucks often . They are not as cheep to fix !

Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

While a bit more expensive than the fan belt(s) we used to carry around, the sensor breaks less often than fan belts used to break, and this sensor is a lot easier to get to.
But you have 4 sensors so chances of 1 failing is higher.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Stop Safely Now!