stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craigs list time haha.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry about your trans Todd. Now the decision on what to do. I'm like Aaron, nothing but an auto for me, but you do what you want. I'd never want a zf, I like immediate shifting and no loss of boost/power, not gonna happen with a zf.

Great offer Bill! Why am I not surprised? You're a heck of a guy bud! Tried to rep ya, but I can't.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Sorry about your trans Todd. Now the decision on what to do. I'm like Aaron, nothing but an auto for me, but you do what you want. I'd never want a zf, I like immediate shifting and no loss of boost/power, not gonna happen with a zf.

Great offer Bill! Why am I not surprised? You're a heck of a guy bud! Tried to rep ya, but I can't.
Well I don't really hot rod my truck and the loss of boost can't be too bad. I'll have to take Williams for a spin when he gets here Friday. I just have a hard time justifying the cost on an auto right now. And to cheap out on a build buys me how long before I'm in this mess again? I don't have Santa money where I can do 3 trans on this truck. Lol. Who knows. Bill and Aaron, tha is for the thought. You guys are great.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in for the Transmission party! I'm only a couple hours away. We will have to do it on the weekend though. I'm just sorry that I don't have the ZF anymore to offer that as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
I guess it's looking like a tech day in Columbus. I better send the wife out for a bunch of steaks.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
When's WillIAm going to be there? We can all camp out at the Todd-mahal and have a ZF party, lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
When's WillIAm going to be there? We can all camp out at the Todd-mahal and have a ZF party, lol.
Fri. I doubt it'll happen that fast!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I suppose he would notice it too if he came out in the morning and his truck had an automatic in it...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
I suppose he would notice it too if he came out in the morning and his truck had an automatic in it...
Lol.......

Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
You don't want my Zf5.

Crossmember mount is broke on it since I got it.

Only 1 bolt.

Works fine otherwise cept 2nd gear syncro is long gone.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
im curious how low fluid will cause this. I have never heard of it.Since I have an auto and will never have a hand shaker I want to learn as much as I can.
There are two hydraulic circuits in the torque converter. There is converter charge and converter release. Charge pressure is what keeps the torque converter filled. Release pressure keeps the lockup clutch piston from applying the lockup clutch. These are both fed from line pressure, and regulated down to 120 PSI by the torque converter regulator valve.

If the trans fluid is low line pressure will dip. The main regulator valve has a circuit that will cut the least important circuits out of line pressure feed if pressure dips too low. The first one to get cut is the torque converter. It can operate for a while without a fresh supply of oil. The trans clutches can't do that.

If there is no converter release pressure the flow of fluid in the converter from it spinning will apply the lockup clutch. The converter doesn't know if release pressure went away because it is supposed to lock or because release was cut to protect the clutches inside the trans. It just knows that there is now pressure pushing on the apply piston with no release pressure to keep it unlocked. So it locks.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
haha, Santa's broke Todd. Three trans over eight years plus now the dually build. I might have to cancel Christmas next year, LOL

Tried to rep you Bill, your unbelievable. I too, am a auto man but........

Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tshrager
I guess it's looking like a tech day in Columbus. I better send the wife out for a bunch of steaks.
Nahhh ill bring the steaks, charcoal, beer, and smoker! Maybe we can do ribs... or smoke some venison!
As long as this doesnt happen until after the 10th of May I will be in! only about 7 hours says gmaps.. I usually make it in 6. Depends on time of day and what day i travel.
Havent been there much since JT moved to Akron.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There are two hydraulic circuits in the torque converter. There is converter charge and converter release. Charge pressure is what keeps the torque converter filled. Release pressure keeps the lockup clutch piston from applying the lockup clutch. These are both fed from line pressure, and regulated down to 120 PSI by the torque converter regulator valve.

If the trans fluid is low line pressure will dip. The main regulator valve has a circuit that will cut the least important circuits out of line pressure feed if pressure dips too low. The first one to get cut is the torque converter. It can operate for a while without a fresh supply of oil. The trans clutches can't do that.

If there is no converter release pressure the flow of fluid in the converter from it spinning will apply the lockup clutch. The converter doesn't know if release pressure went away because it is supposed to lock or because release was cut to protect the clutches inside the trans. It just knows that there is now pressure pushing on the apply piston with no release pressure to keep it unlocked. So it locks.
Mark, pardon my ignorance as I'm not well versed in transmissions. Could a plugged filter cut off flow to the converter? Would it be beneficial to flush and fill? Maybe blow out the lines with air?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
To add on to the ignorance... Ive got a few questions for Mark as well...or others.
Will any zf trans from A 7.3 or even 6.9 bolt right up?
I am looking around for you too and have seen a few taken off of 93 IDI's

Does it have to be a manual trans from a diesel to work? I saw a ZF 5 spd advertised that it came off of a 460, but the guy mentioned "will only fit 460"

Also do you need to have transfer case and all? I recall that a diff PCM or ECM is needed?

The 93 trans setup he has listed as barter... usually means they are willing to go cheap. lol

Quick Reply: E4OD poo'd (project ZF swap)