6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Running Lights Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM
mikey350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Lights Help!

Hey guys, I just got my recon smoked headlights and I'm in the works of installing them, got the grille out, and right headlight out, and just looking at the wiring for it. Where should I be splicing these LEDS and CCFL's into? Am I doing it right on the recon harness or do I have to cut my truck harness?

I take it I switch my running lights on by turning the dial to the middle on my truck?

Sorry for all the dumb questions I just aint a fan of messing up wiring, I know its probably simple.

Heres a bunch of pics

Any help is awesome! Thanks for looking!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,024 Likes on 2,203 Posts
You want to splice into the parking lot lights. You will have to cut the wires and then wire them all (the CFFL inverters and the LEDs together and then to the parking lights). Use a connector so you can plug them and unplug them. I just did mine a few months ago. They look nice

Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
mikey350
Junior User

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
You want to splice into the parking lot lights. You will have to cut the wires and then wire them all (the CFFL inverters and the LEDs together and then to the parking lights). Use a connector so you can plug them and unplug them. I just did mine a few months ago. They look nice
Ahh okay thanks! So it is this connector then I take it, (goes to the orange bulb) and I take it the black and purple stripped wire is ground, and the yellow is constant and the middle (yellow//green) is the turn signal?

I am just looking for my light tester, I am up in the city away from the farm for two weeks so I forgot a few tools of course

Good call on the connector! I got a few here at least!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
That is the right connector. I can't remember the wire colors...sorry. You can use a spare bulb and wire to act like a test light. I do it all the time. Otherwise you have a 50/50 shot

Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
mikey350
Junior User
That is the right connector. I can't remember the wire colors...sorry. You can use a spare bulb and wire to act like a test light. I do it all the time. Otherwise you have a 50/50 shot
haha thanks! i just checked it and looks like the middle wire and black wire are the correct ones! NOT both outside edge wires, so here I go! Ill post back in a bit

Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Nice work savage

Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Very cool! Good job...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM
mikey350
Junior User
Well thanks for the help there Savage! I got them installed, even in this -10*C weather. I am pretty happy with them, except a few things.

1. They stuck the thing in the box to send it to me so quick that I had to peel the protective pink layer off the glue cause it dried in there.
2. Having to wire the LED's, and CCFL's in, really recon? Its 2013 You should of been able to make a connector to go between the bulb and the harness.
3. Burnt out LED's. The drivers side has a burnt out LED in the strip, not too impressed for how much they are worth that I have that happen, and that they aren't exactly plug n play.
4. I also bought a third brake light from them and it is all on the fritz too, with burnt out LED's. So they are receiving that back as well.

I will talk to them tomorrow, and I hope they will send me out a new light, then I can wire it and test it before I send back this one, I am not uninstalling both headlights just to ship one back so I hope this works out.

Burnt out LED

Overall though beside the LED's I am happy with them, they did fit nice, and got a great finish to them, and make the truck look wonderful! Next up is 6" pro comp lift, and new rims/tires, bushwackers, and mirror, door handles, and til gate handle, all possibly in white, not so sure yet, might stay with chrome.

Here's the rest of the truck all blacked out, and yes, shes dirty

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
The LED's on the front light can be removed. They can mail you replacement LEDs for that. No worries. I have them send you a few. In the mean time, remove it and plug it back in...it might work. I had the same issue. They have less than ideal connectors inside. Once working they are fine, but they sometimes are tricky to get going. Nice looking ride...well done

One of my CFFL halos died yesterday. I'm working with them on how to get it fixed now. I'm optimistic they will take care of me

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
mikey350
Junior User
The LED's on the front light can be removed. They can mail you replacement LEDs for that. No worries. I have them send you a few. In the mean time, remove it and plug it back in...it might work. I had the same issue. They have less than ideal connectors inside. Once working they are fine, but they sometimes are tricky to get going. Nice looking ride...well done

One of my CFFL halos died yesterday. I'm working with them on how to get it fixed now. I'm optimistic they will take care of me
Awh that is awesome then! It doesnt make it that big of deal for me then! I will try taking it apart this weekend and see what I can do. How long have you had your lights? I am most worried about my halos dieing, I dont understand how they work exactly but I got some pretty rough highway in my area, and I hope I dont have any issues with that. I hope they will fix your halo! You going to send them back I take it to get the halo fixed? Unless they can send you a replacement somehow.

Recon seems pretty good to deal with so far, I asked for tracking numbers and got replies back right aways.

Thanks for the comment! I am currently on track to make my truck look similar to this one! I really like the rims anyways, and the lift.

I think they are moto metal rims but I am not sure exactly. Been told by several people to stay with 18" rims and go to 35-36 tires, but are 20" really that bad? I guess smaller rims would be handier.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot

You are well on your way. I've had mine a month or so. I posted them in the 1 page thread, but not many people saw them likely. I have all the Recon's myself. I did the HID conversion on the headlights too. I use HID's from The Retrofit Source.

The CFFL's inverter was defective out of the box. Recon shipped me a new one and they worked fine until yesterday. My truck is off road a lot as we all ride four wheelers and are always going to ride. Recon stated that wasn't a problem. If it is...I'll deal with that I guess. So far they have been good to work with.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice work on the lights. Only real downside is tires for 20" rim are ussually more expensive. But hey, you are building a nice truck, you want what you want.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey350

I think they are moto metal rims but I am not sure exactly. Been told by several people to stay with 18" rims and go to 35-36 tires, but are 20" really that bad? I guess smaller rims would be handier.

Those are Fuel wheels by MHT. The specific wheels is the Hostage.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM
mikey350
Junior User

Wow nice truck!! I am really liking those rims now to be honest, look better than the other ones, great now I have to decide which ones

Originally Posted by mhoefer
Nice work on the lights. Only real downside is tires for 20" rim are ussually more expensive. But hey, you are building a nice truck, you want what you want.
Thanks! Yeah that is exactly true, more expensive, and tires aren't a one time buy either, so I am considering the 18"

Originally Posted by Andrew010
Those are Fuel wheels by MHT. The specific wheels is the Hostage.

Thank you very much!! I will price them out then too!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Good luck finding wheels you like...there are a lot of great choices that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Running Lights Help!