1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo Bling (38R Compressor Wheel Upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mueckster
I will find out how much I really have when the new boost gauge comes in next week.
Keep me posted on the levels. I'm going to wait to see what numbers you're making before I order a new boost gauge also. I'm not sure if the 40 will work of if I should just go with the 60. I'm probably going to say 60 because the 35psi gauge I have now pins pretty quick....

Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
Keep me posted on the levels. I'm going to wait to see what numbers you're making before I order a new boost gauge also. I'm not sure if the 40 will work of if I should just go with the 60. I'm probably going to say 60 because the 35psi gauge I have now pins pretty quick....
According to tracking, my gauge is already at the area UPS ditribution center. It was dropshipped from a warehouse in Dallas and will arrive here on Monday. I'll pop that sucker in after work and report my findings on Tuesday. I'm thinking you might be seeing higher boost levels than me with your combo. I have lower drive pressure with my bigger turbine housing and am seeing slightly less than a 1:1 drive to driven ratio. I won't speculate and am going to wait and see.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
dmanshane
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb question guys what's the drive and driven pressure

Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dmanshane
Dumb question guys what's the drive and driven pressure
The drive pressure is pressure applied to the turbine (exhaust) side of the turbo. the driven pressure is boost created by the compressor side of the turbo. My larger than stock turbine housing creates less backpressure to allow the engine to breather better at mid to high rpms. The trade off is this lower pressure causes the compressor (driven) side to build less boost at low rpms causing turbo lag.

The new billet wheel recaptures the lost boost and gives me a nice balance. I now have more boost all the way throughout the rpm range. It really shines at 1800+ rpms and compliments my tuning.

I nailed the throttle this evening at a 30 mph roll in my 80E tune and maxed just over 1200* on the pyro and held steady. A drop of at least 100* than what I had been seeing before.
My new 60 psi boost gauge is reading more accurately now. I may be off ~0.5 psi below the 5psi mark, but is in sync with my Aeroforce Interceptor from there on. I was running about 36 psi at 95 mph when I let off the skinny pedal. I am, overall, very pleased with the results of the Riffraff Billet 38R Wheel. Thanks, Clay!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 AM
cutlass
Elder User
I too can now confirm just how good the RiffRaff billet compressor wheel for the 38R is. I have pegged my boost gauge at 40 psi when I stomp down all the way and Oh My God it pulls hard! And that's with a boost leak I just discovered on my passenger side intake plenum. I'm really ticked off at Ford right now on the re-manufacturing job of this engine. Someone apparently didn't get enough RTV under the plenum on my passenger side. I'm really tired of taking this thing apart and putting it back together over and over. Looks like billet plenums are in my future.

I recommend this billet wheel to anyone with a 38R turbo. I like the sound too. It seems slightly quieter than the stock wheel, but that may be because of my boost leak.

Drake

Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
This weekend will be my first towing experience with the new wheel. I am excited to see how well it plays out. I was getting a constant slight haze, in OD at 60 mph, when I accelerated lightly in 80 Tow while pulling my camper home about a month ago. I am sure, with the results seen so far, that the haze should be cleared up with the new wheel. I am waiting to give the wheel my "ultimate test," in my Race tunes, until after my camping trip. I don't want to do anything to my truck that would jeopardize my vacation plans and am not ready to install head studs at this point. I'd rather wait until the engine has to come out before doing them. Hopefully, that will be a while off.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
dmanshane
Tuned
Does anyone use a back pressure gauge to measure their drive pressure

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dmanshane
Does anyone use a back pressure gauge to measure their drive pressure
I use my Aeroforce Interceptor Scangauge to monitor boost and backpressure simultaneously. It is easer to see how they relate to each other.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

I was running about 36 psi at 95 mph when I let off the skinny pedal....
So is the 60PSI gauge the way to go with this? Mind you I have head studs now!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
So is the 60PSI gauge the way to go with this? Mind you I have head studs now!
I would say so! I wouldn't bother with less. You may be surprised where you're really at. If I had the 1.0 turbine housing, vs the 1.15, I would be seeing higher pressures. I haven't seen the "high side" of my boost yet. I've only run in my DD tune.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So these are Clay's 5/5 wheel not Bob's 6/6 correct. If so that sounds the way to go if still avaliable.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

I would say so! I wouldn't bother with less. You may be surprised where you're really at. If I had the 1.0 turbine housing, vs the 1.15, I would be seeing higher pressures. I haven't seen the "high side" of my boost yet. I've only run in my DD tune.
Ok that answer it for me.

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
So these are Clay's 5/5 wheel not Bob's 6/6 correct. If so that sounds the way to go if still avaliable.
Mine is Bob's wheel, Clay's wasn't released until after I bought mine...

Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Neither. My wheel, from Riffraff, has 11 equally sized vanes. See the pics posted at the start of my thread.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Neither. My wheel, from Riffraff, has 11 equally sized vanes. See the pics posted at the start of my thread.
On the 5/5 & 6/6 I was going on what I have read on these treads. I thought Clays vains where all the same size, Now I don't remember what Bobs are other then 6/6 is what I read. I've also heard Clay is selling Bobs wheel now, hope I am correct on that. Thanks guys,

Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
IIRC, Bob's 38R wheel has the equally sized vanes like mine and his GTP38 version has the 5/5 staggered ones.
I will be towing my travel trailer this weekend and will report my results.

Quick Reply: Turbo Bling (38R Compressor Wheel Upgrade)