Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Slow start brings the engine to romp

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Slow start brings the engine to romp

I went to start the truck this morning, it cam unplugged and I know the batteries are typically only good for one/two starts. But when I turned it over the batteries drained with no start. I let sit for a few minutes and tried, towards the end of the battery running it it started but would romp up to 1500 rpm and down up/down - until I freaked out and turned it off. Is this normal or cause any damage? I have since been able to charge, and start - it did the same thing until I applied a little gas pedal and it seems to be ok. Yes, I need new batteries - will be making a trip to costco tomorrow.

Just being paranoid.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
How cold was it last night where you live?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Forty or so

Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Romping at 40* would be cause for concern....

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Romping and bucking are tow different symptoms that sometimes get the same name. Romping is a rapid rise and fall of the RPMs and you can see it on the tach. Bucking feels like the truck wants to toss you out the door. Romping is typically oil, bucking is typically glow plugs. Here are romps: [LINK]

Two cranks and done? Not enough juice to run the glow plugs... need more battery power.

Here is a set of good batteries with a good starter, I have air in my oil, and it's the first start after major work:

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like you said, replace both battery's at the same time. I would also do a search for gpr and glow plug testing. it would be a good idea to make sure they are working correctly .

Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Well, I know it's not the best of "testing" but Les Schwabs says the batteries are fine. When the engine is warm there are no issues starting. Based on Tugs awesome video - this is certainly a romp. I have driven it today several times, start and stop, etc... with no re-occurring issue. Does it still make sense to search for GRP threads? I just get worried about traveling somewhere - where you can't plug in - lol....

If the ROMP starts - does it do damage or should you let it continue or just turn the motor off and try a restart? I was thinking it would "clear" up but wasn't sure.

I like the costco batteries and that is 160 out of pocket so if I don't have to I won't. The batteries are 4 years old scwab batteries.

Thx for everyones input - can't tell you how helpful you all have been. Let me know at your convenience.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go ahead and read through some cold start threads. and take the time to test your gpr and gp's with a multi meter. it wont cost you nothing but your time and will point you in the right direction or give you piece of mind knowing their ok. in the mean time until you get it fixed, I would not let it just sit there and romp. push on the skinny pedal just a little to smooth things out when you first start it, then let it idle for a few minutes. also, most parts stores will test your battery's for free. I would take them out and have them tested separately .

Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM
howellt39
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When was the last oil change and what type are you running? I went from 15-40 Delo to Rotella 5-40 this winter based on advice here and it cleared my romps right up. We've got about the same weather since I'm just up the road from you. What do you have for miles?

If you want some help testing the GP system, 90pioneer and I are getting together next week in Hillsboro to wrench a little...is that an Oregon tech day I'm hearing?!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhopson
Forty or so
That is not cold enough for starting to be an issue if the GP/electrical situation is in proper working order. Listen to these guys, check your relay and then test your batteries by load testing them separately when the truck has sat (6 hours or longer)and they haven't been topped off with a charge by the alternator.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Question: During a late night "can't sleep" episode I was watching a show where they validated batteries by using a volt meter during starting. If the battery dropped below 11v then they said the starter was drawing too much. So I tested mine and during the turning over process it drops to 10 on both batteries - does this indicate anything?

Howell39: I changed oil about two weeks ago and installed a bypass filter and currently use Delo 15/40. I have 134k and freshly waxed and yet the rain just got it all dirty .

I hope we have another tech day like last year - that was awesome. I will check with my better half - are you guys just meeting at Pioneer's place? I am not familiar with GP system but WoodnThings has great documentation that I am going to look through tonight. I am paranoid about having to replace my injectors (not sure when they go out) but that seems like a horribly awful/yet cool process .

Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
So I tested mine and during the turning over process it drops to 10 on both batteries - does this indicate anything?
It more than likely indicates your batteries can't take the glowplugs and the starter in the same hit... no-start cometh. It is possible the starter is drawing more than it should.

I am paranoid about having to replace my injectors (not sure when they go out) but that seems like a horribly awful/yet cool process .
Injectors are actually not bad... it's the keeping those little @#$%s in the holes that I fail at. They're like rabid prairie dogs.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Costco batts purchased,200.00 poorer now.
QUOTE=Tugly;12983587]It more than likely indicates your batteries can't take the glowplugs and the starter in the same hit... no-start cometh. It is possible the starter is drawing more than it should.

Injectors are actually not bad... it's the keeping those little @#$%s in the holes that I fail at. They're like rabid prairie dogs.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Costco batts purchased,200.00 poorer now.
Once you hear how "cranky" your baby is now, you'll say "Gee.... I guess I was due."

Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
your tests would be more accurate with glow plugs off.

Quick Reply: Slow start brings the engine to romp