1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Performance over time: Chips good in the long run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 09:53 PM
cjfllann
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We just got a 2002 F-350 CC DRW with the idea of trading towing a travel trailer to getting the biggest slide in we could, and tow a cargo trailer with our pack goats. All the info on the site that speaks to the performance and fuel mileage improvement is impressive. It seems like a no-brainer that you can buy something that gives you 50HP and 1-2 MPG.

My concern is the long run. I can see how a chip may improve things now, for 10K miles or so, but improvement for 4 or 5 years and 100K is that possible? Doesn't this improvement have to paid for somewhere in extra wear and tear? Is this truly a free lunch?

Part of my concern comes from the language in my Ford owners manual about after market modifications: Page 2. "Some aftermarket products cause severe engine and/or transmission damage......Many owner's past experience have been very poor."

I'll ask the obvious question, if this is so easy how come Ford isn't selling these as an option or installing themselves?

Old 06-03-2003, 12:39 PM
bulldogger55
New User

Check out Gale Banks, they sell some nice kits . I dont think that a chip by itself is really the best way to go . Check it out for your self .

Old 06-03-2003, 12:49 PM
gburkett
Senior User

Don't instsall a chip wothout going to a bigger exhaust. you could damage the engine. Also, you can find better prices on both from other places than gale banks. I know this from experiance.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:04 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

If you're concerned about chipping your truck, don't do it. It will void your warranty. Adding extra power may or may not cause noticable damage over time, but it certianly increases the strain on your engine.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:15 PM
nothingbutford
Senior User

johnsdiesel:
Putting aftermarket performance products like exhaust, intake, computer chips, minor lifts and such does NOT void the warranty. This right is protected under a federal law, I'm not sure where you can find the law but I've read it before.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:24 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

nothingbutford, the Magnuson-Moss act is what you're referring to and it is misquoted all the time. Why would or should Ford warranty an engine with added stress put on it? The aftermarket parts companies quote little pieces of M.M. to make the consumer feel at ease with modifying their engines. Ford does not have to prove that the product caused damage if they state up front that it will void the warranty. Ford specifically states in the owner's manual that aftermarket products designed to increase horsepower, aid in engine braking, etc. WILL VOID THE WARRANTY. If you don't believe me, read your owner's and service manuals. If you can't find it, I'd be glad to scan a copy of mine and email it to you.

People who modify their trucks are usually either out of warranty, or more interested in the mods than the warranty.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:49 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

People who modify their trucks are usually either out of warranty, or more interested in the mods than the warranty.
Exactly right. Well said.

For the record, my truck got it's first chip at just over 12k miles. I'm now over 75000, with no "longevity" issues at all. If the engine only lasts 200000 miles instead of 3 or 4, well, I can live with that.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Driver's using chips to abuse their trucks or increase tow capacity are what decreases reliability. Chips should not be used to turn your truck into a "hot" rod as that's exactly what you'll get: heat. EGTs are the killer with the Powerstroke and if you keep the EGTs low (ie, gauge/exhaust) and monitor EGTs you'll have the truck for a long time....

Old 06-03-2003, 11:31 PM
neverenough
Elder User

There are no laws allowing warrenty protection when aftermarket parts are used. Also, there are aftermarket performance products that can be used that will not "void" the warrenty, BUT, if it is found that the aftermarket product could have caused all or part of the failure, the warrenty will not be honored for that repair. Which is not the same as "voiding" a warrenty.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:34 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by neverenough
There are no laws allowing warrenty protection when aftermarket parts are used.
On the contrary, there are laws. Ford cannot make you use Ford/Motorcraft filters, tires, oil, u-joints, spark plugs, batteries or any other OEM part unless they pay for it. Same protection applies for razors, inkjet printers, copy machines, laser printers, computers, etc. IBM had a lot to do with the passage of these laws because they forced IBM customers to use IBM punch cards.