1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F100 Project truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
I didn't do the install, it was done by a PO, but someone said the plates may be off an F1.
I set mine up to tow my enclosed car hauler, about 7K loaded. The hitch is a class IV.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM
89gtstang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I didn't do the install, it was done by a PO, but someone said the plates may be off an F1.
I set mine up to tow my enclosed car hauler, about 7K loaded. The hitch is a class IV.
I just picked up a set of spring plates from a 57-60 F100 and they look exactly like the ones you have. I read where these would work with the 9" rear, but assumed they were exactly like the 55's. They are 3 piece, top plate, bottom round plate and shock mount. Just so you know.

Hope to get the front and rear suspension on this weekend so I can roll the thing back down to the barn where all my tool are. It was just easier to assemble in the garage, after I took over my wife's parking spot Then the motor and tranny and other misc items like the gas tank, battery box, etc.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Slow going... Mostly because of other things I have to get done and $$ now that my wife and daughter decided to get horses....

I still need the motor mount for those who offered and somehow got away from shipping it. I'll have the $$ this Friday for a limit number of days until it goes towards the horses

Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM
dmack91
Elder User
I feel your pain on the fertilizer machines. My wife has 3 of them. I keep pointing out that I don't have to feed, shovel, shoe, vet,etc. my truck or motorcycles if I am not using them.

Oh well, all is fair that she has her hobby that she loves and lets me have mine. That is why they call marriage a partnership.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 AM
89gtstang
Senior User
Originally Posted by dmack91
I feel your pain on the fertilizer machines. My wife has 3 of them. I keep pointing out that I don't have to feed, shovel, shoe, vet,etc. my truck or motorcycles if I am not using them.

Oh well, all is fair that she has her hobby that she loves and lets me have mine. That is why they call marriage a partnership.
LOL, that sounds exactly like us. I've said the same thing to her. I did have my mustang first and have been drag racing it for fun 16yrs now. Many upgrades and redos with it. Then there are the 3 snowmobiles, the motorcycle and ATV. She does use the ATV and one of the snowmobiles it mainly hers...
My wife smokes and I do not, so I always said that was and still is her hobby... This one actually costs more! So now she has the horses and I have the truck.... I can put off working on the truck but the animals (2 horses, 2 cats, 3 dogs and 2 rabbits) all need feed regardless... Keeps us all busy.

Thanks for the note that we are not the only ones

Old 01-14-2014, 04:29 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Still doing what I can when I have time and $$. Used 1/4 of my small yearly bonus to buy some parts (maybe more then 1/4 but don't tell the old lady!) Figured I should be allowed to spend some of it on myself. Hit -12 here last week plus all this rain since keeps the barn too humid to do much. Need to build my garage... soon.

Bed came out OK so far. Need to sand and later install fully. Just fitted for now.

Master Cylinder installed and front breaks installed.

Just fitting everything making sure I have all the bolts and parts needed before I tear it down for painting.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:04 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Ordered the rear disc brake kit but it's on back order. I ordered 2 rims/wheels. I believe I can get one size bigger in the back and will more these to the front. Just need to install the rear brakes to know for sure. Spent the whole holiday weekend installing the motor. I was Oncall for work and was interrupted a few times but the bonus was that the family went to visit the out-laws (In-laws) so I didn't have to work on everyone else’s stuff!

Pulled the motor back out to finish it up. Needed to know which oil pan would fit.

Hope to get it all painted by this fall.

<O></O>
<O>http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps39d6dfab.jpg</O>
<O>http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2a966903.jpg</O>
<O>http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c68dc54.jpg</O>
<O>http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...psd302f171.jpg</O>

Last edited by 89gtstang; 05-29-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Smiley was messed up from cut and paste
Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Looks great. Keep up the progress. It took me 2 years to go from a pile of rusty parts and unknown engine/trans to a daily driver. You should be there soon.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Thanks dmack91. I had to sell 2 of my 3 snowmobiles and the 2place trailer to have some money to move along as we now have 3 horses too! (up from 2 a few months ago) Most of that money still went to horse and other things, but enough parts to keep me busy for several months.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM
89gtstang
Senior User
Moved the project back to the garage from the barn for the winter. I was able to store the mustang at my brothers for the winter so there is room now. Plus my wife and daughter keep pushing my stuff more and more into the corner where there's no room to work. Decided to do the interior over the winter and then try and finish the outside next summer.

The bed is also pretty much done. Going to just bed liner on the inside. Still need to do the tailgate.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice progress! I guess I need to go outside and make something happen...

Old 03-16-2015, 12:04 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Almost 50 dagrees today! Still a ton of snow on the ground it's been a somewhat long cold winter. I didn't get the interior completely done as it was often too cold to work in the garage as my buddy borrowed my heaters to keep his house pipes from freezing. Hope I get those back . Also not doing things in all the right order. Just trying to get done what I can and then if I have to undo anything I know it should go right back together pretty easily. Need to do a few more interior things and then start on the wiring. Hope to get enough wired to get the motor running in a few months and then work on the outside.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Lookin good! I'm hoping to paint my interior and firewall soon....

Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
I like your seat. Is the cover supplied from a vendor or did you have it done in a shop? Thank you.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turnrjr
I like your seat. Is the cover supplied from a vendor or did you have it done in a shop? Thank you.
I bought a cover for my 64 f100 that looks identical (exept mines blue) from LMC truck. It was not incredibly difficult to install but mines does have a few wrinkles on the bottom probably because of old seat foam. I have to admit that it looks pretty decent for bring a first time thing.

BEWARE: The lines on the seat cover DO NOT match. The stitching on the top cover is not spaced correctly for the bottom cover so it throws everything on the passenger side of mine off. The drivers side is perfect and then the center part of the cover does not line up and throws everything beyond off

Quick Reply: 55 F100 Project truck