1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust Manifold gasket replacement. What Else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
kt19
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Manifold gasket replacement. What Else?

I have to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets on my truck. Probably a good time to put new uppipes on. What else should I look for or do when I have all this apart?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM
KH85
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure you have a gasket on your manifold? Dont believe they came stock with one......are you getting smoke from under the hood in the exhaust area?

As for other stuff definitly do bellowed ups if your budget will allow. You will have to take the turbo off to do ups some make sure to install all new o-rings and check for any play in your turbo shaft. Also a good time for plenum inserts and new IC boots.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I called Ford a few days ago, there are no OEM gaskets on the truck. You can find them aftermarket, though, such as with the purchase of an exhaust manifold itself. If you can find the gaskets without the manifold please let me know.

2001 Ford F250 Truck Exhaust Manifold & Gasket Kit Driver Side for V8 7.3L Diesel at 1AAuto.com

Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stated, there are no gaskets on stock motors, I would personally recommend simply taking them to a machine shop and having them decked/surfaced flat, as the gaskets have been known to fail too easily.

Preston, you can purchase gaskets individually if you prefer, I know my local Oreilly, Autozone, Napa, Advance all have them in stock.

Fel-Pro MS93489 - Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I have used the gasket and they crept under the manifold and began to leak, no matter how tight I did up the bolts. Went back to stock (no gasket) and all is well.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
Maybe replace the oil cooler orings if easier to get at with the manifold removed? I havent done this yet, but wondered if access would be better.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM
kt19
Freshman User
I guess I just asumed there was a Gasket. I will have the manifolds decked and go back together with out. I had looked online for the gasket and seen it was available so thats where the assumption came from.

Just take some emery cloth to the heads to clean them?

Best advice not to snap off the manifold Bolts?
For sure will do the Bellowed uppipes. Any advice on the best ones?
Thanks

Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Al, I should've checked there, thanks.

Op, I have the International up pipes waiting for installation that I just purchased from Riffraff but there is a set of Dorman up pipes that cost about half of the OEM Internationals. Not sure if quality is better from one to the other but International is who made your motor, and they look better. And remember, the driver's side up pipe, the one with only one bend in it, has a "ding" in the side at the bend that's supposed to be there for maneuverability and placement/installation. So when you do get a new set and you think it's an accidental dent, it's not. I found out the hard way, was pretty embarrassing. I don't think the Dorman's put that dent there, though.

On the left is the driver's side pipe. You can slightly see the ding I was talking about.

And up close but again, that's how it's made.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel Exhaust Parts | International Bellowed Up-pipes | Diesel Up-pipes - International Bellowed Up-pipes

I'm sure you can internet search "Dorman Up Pipes 7.3" and find some, or someone will chime in shortly.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
kt19
Freshman User
Will there be any advantages to getting coated uppipes. Looks like they are about $180 more are they worth it. I really only want to do this once and I want it to get me the most bang for the buck.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
BlueScab
Senior User
Ford sells the manifold gaskets if you wanna give that a try first.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by kt19
Will there be any advantages to getting coated uppipes. Looks like they are about $180 more are they worth it. I really only want to do this once and I want it to get me the most bang for the buck.
The only noticeable advantage is they dont rust/discolor. We have used VHT paint with good success - do the manifolds too!! Surface prep is everything.

Gaskets not needed.

Mixed reviews on Dorman up-pipes. If I was broke and worked on my own stuff, I'd prolly use them (lifetime warranty). Google and make your own decision...

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
The only noticeable advantage is they dont rust/discolor. We have used VHT paint with good success - do the manifolds too!! Surface prep is everything.

Gaskets not needed.

Mixed reviews on Dorman up-pipes. If I was broke and worked on my own stuff, I'd prolly use them (lifetime warranty). Google and make your own decision...
And a note on paint, get the really high temp stuff. Some so called header paint is only good to 5-600*, ours see 1000*+.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
tpull3
Junior User
I painted mine with VHT. Going on 3 years now and still looking good.

Tom
2003 F350 4x4 Lariat CCSB SRW, Autometer Z Series Gauges, 4"Diamond EyeTB,
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad. Hose, Leveling Kit

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BlueScab
Ford sells the manifold gaskets if you wanna give that a try first.
thats what I used.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 PM
BlueScab
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
thats what I used.
Oh boy lol

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold gasket replacement. What Else?