Sponsored by: DP Tuner

In Bed Tool Box Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM
pin8246
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Bed Tool Box Suggestions

I need to get a tool box for the bed of my truck. Sick of just throwing tools in there and having them slide around. Im getting a new spray in bedliner this summer, so as soon as thats done I need a tool box.

All I know is Im going with the black, most likely diamond T steel, and it will be the low profile. What are your guys experiences with brand names, quality, weather proof, and durability. I was thinking of just going with a Kobalt from Lowes, but theres so many different brands out there I dont know anything about. Throw out your input on what you have.

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Ranch Hand makes a great tool box. You need to buy the two round Masterlock locks for it though (they clink around as they hang and bang on the box) but well worth the $700.00 dollars for the box. There is no way to get to the locks to cut 'em as they're inset. I don't have a picture of it as it was on my old F150 that I sold a few years ago. My 7.3 came with a Rawson Koenig butterfly opening tool box. I'll never own anything other than this again. 1800 lbs of prying pressure to break the lock plus since it opens up in a V form it's easier to get into the box, no need to jump into the bed AND I can put an extension ladder on top of my truck and still get into the box. Completely weatherproof plus you can seal it with the same material as spray in bedliner if you want the matte black look.

I can't say about low profile as for myself and with the amount of work tools I carry it'd defeat the purpose, I need deep ones only. My electrician bud has all of his work trucks outfitted with Weathergaurd tool boxes. They are very nice as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Black on black on this one and he's got a Dodge 2500 diesel, white on white which really looks clean. I'll try to find a pic.

Sorry apparently I don't really have a good picture of the truck and tools boxes, not the black one at so far.. These Weathergaurds are not cheap though. Each of his trucks have 'em at around $2500.00 a truck. Not sure you can make out the look of this one either.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
allhuntalltime
Junior User
I have the in bed Ranch Hand and love it. I do have to get in the bed to get to the middle of the box but it is bullit proof and I like that and the fact you cant see it on the rails it also holds alot of stuff.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Yup, those Ranch Hands are meant to hold a lot.

Here's the white diesel with white Weathergaurd boxes. Hope you can see them well enough, though.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 PM
daviddually73
Freshman User
Its a weather guard its the second one I've had

under the rail (top picture)

(side picture)

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always had Weatherguard boxes on my trucks, wouldn't trust my tools to much else. They are built tough as nails and virtually impossible to break into. Brand new they run about $900 if I recall, but I found many of them in excellent shape on craigslist and such in the past.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
94WhiteF250
Senior User
Weatherguard for the win! They went up in price, but find a used one, it is well worth it. The locks are awesome, they open from the side so if you have a toneau cover they wont interfere with that either.

Quality is absolutely top notch on the weathergaurd.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Maybe it's just me but I desperately hate having to jump in the bed to pull out tools, mainly because on a job it's not a one time thing, having to go into my tool box, but more like 10 times. I can quickly Google search but for the sake of conversation does anyone know if Weathergaurd makes one that opens up from the sides like the Rawson Koenig on my truck?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Just comparing the welds and the clean lines of the Weatherguard to mine there's a much more professional look to the Weathergaurd. Although I know I can hold more tools (small oxygen/acetylene brazing rig, nitrogen tanks, recovery cyclinders, refrigerant, vacuum pump, power tools, etc., bigger than residential tools by far requiring much more space) comparing tool boxes apples to apples in this thread it might be time to upgrade truck professional appearance if Weathergaurd makes a model to open on the sides like the Rawson K. Very clean indeed!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
Maybe it's just me but I desperately hate having to jump in the bed to pull out tools, mainly because on a job it's not a one time thing, having to go into my tool box, but more like 10 times. I can quickly Google search but for the sake of conversation does anyone know if Weathergaurd makes one that opens up from the sides like the Rawson Koenig on my truck?

Weathergaurd does make a cross box like yours WEATHER GUARD Cross Truck Tool Boxes... Definitly bullet proof boxes and clean looking, but FWIW you'rs looks pretty clean and stout as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pin8246
I need to get a tool box for the bed of my truck. Sick of just throwing tools in there and having them slide around. Im getting a new spray in bedliner this summer, so as soon as thats done I need a tool box.

All I know is Im going with the black, most likely diamond T steel, and it will be the low profile. What are your guys experiences with brand names, quality, weather proof, and durability. I was thinking of just going with a Kobalt from Lowes, but theres so many different brands out there I dont know anything about. Throw out your input on what you have.

Thanks.
Pin, if you're going to be storing things in there you can live without than Kobalt is fine. IMO there's just no other way to look at the situation, the aluminum alloy they're made from is practically paper thin. I'd find a real name brand, even used you can find them in excellent condition if you weren't looking for anything overly expensive.

Ranch Hand
Weathergaurd
Rawson Koenig are three more professional grades mentioned thus far. Try them.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
Weathergaurd does make a cross box like yours WEATHER GUARD Cross Truck Tool Boxes... Definitly bullet proof boxes and clean looking, but FWIW you'rs looks pretty clean and stout as well.
None of those look like they'd match my truck very well for some reason,. The first one was very square edged, too square edged. I'll probably have mine repaired especially since it looks a lot worse for wear since those pics were taken, well before I actually started working from the truck like the first few days of ownership some six months ago.

The R-K is well made and massive compared to my old (but much newer as I bought it brand new three years ago) Ranch Hand which was huge in itself. I don't know the dimensions of either but I know I have more tools in this RK while still retaining some room. I have no need for side boxes with this one. Geez, talking things out on here really helps with decisions.

Thanks for looking out.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
pin8246
Elder User
Alright guys ive been looking since ive made this post, and what the companies say fit full size is smaller than what my bed rails are. The bed rails measure in right about 75 inches across, but yet all im finding are mostly 69-70 inches. A few are 72 but not many. Going with the in bed im finding 60 inches, but a little short. What measurements are you guys boxes?

And no there will be nothing expensive in them, extra fluids, and tie downs mostly on a regular basis. As for the tools in it, what I use everyday changes so they will be loaded and unloaded into the shop everyday.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:57 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told the Superduties took a different box, due to a larger bed.as per Ranch & Home Tricities Wash.

Quick Reply: In Bed Tool Box Suggestions