Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whether to Purchase a 97 F250

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Whether to Purchase a 97 F250

A very good friend just purchased 2013 Ford F150 and offered to sell his 97 F250, I believe it has the 5.8,, with 180K mi's, and the truck comes with a shell. Preface by stating he's ****, and that's stating it mildly, when it comes to his vehicles, they get washed and waxed on a regular basis, rain or shine. If there's the slightest noise he takes it to his machanic for repairs. We did not discuss price since he wants to either replace, or have the trans rebuild explaining it recently has been slow shifting on cold morning. I am not familiar with this particular era Ford pickup and thought I would check with owners whether there are any issues I should be concerned about. As an example, seem to recall he had a hell of a time trying to find a replacement throttle cable, which apparently was unique for that particular yr., not sure if he found a replacement or had to repair the existing one??. Another, 'locktight' lug nuts, or something along those lines where he had to contact the manu. and have they sent him a special tool so he could remove them?? I have not priced them, imagine the 97 would not go for more than a few K., although with the cost of having the trans work he may be asking considerably more? Appreciate any suggestions, comments, or advice!!.

Oh, I learned something today, took his 2013 F150, with all the fixin's, for a short drive and immediately found I am too stupid to own one of these 'hitech' vehicles, I found I had to tell the damn thing what I wanted it to do, quite a differnce on the learning curve compared to the 65??

Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
is this the hd 9th gen truck? i'll guess yes,since your posting here.
if he's about to have the e40d auto trans rebuilt,then he's about to possibly spend the entire trucks value for the trans alone,making it an unlikely candidate for selling.
he is doing the wise thing (for many,but not most readers of this forum) by selling the truck with a failing e40d with 180k and buying newer since he pays a mechanic parts and labor for most repairs and maintenance.it'll be more cost effective for him to just run a newer vehicle.however he shouldn't be the one investing in the new trans.he wont recoup his $ for selling the truck.it'll be a wash.if he tries selling the vehicle and adding the price of the new trans on top of the basic book value,the truck won't be worth buying.
however with a failing e40d,gas engine,180k miles,he shouldn't expect much either as is.
it would be worth buying if you can buy the truck and get an e40d in there and keep around book value,otherwise you can probably find one without trans issues and or with a reman trans already for around or under book.
as good as they are,and as much as we love 'em here.they're still old trucks and old trucks require lots of love.you know how this goes already based on your sig.so keeping the purchase price low is important,due to the required amount of parts that 15+ yr old vehicles will require.it's easy to surpass the purchase price quickly with the old gals,just in parts.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
But but but.. just this ONE MORE PART and she will be running like a top for years to come, right? Right?......

I agree with the previous post.

...I still love my truck though.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah hahah that's how she goes! dangit!
in his case however,the one part could be the whole trucks "value".

ironically mines going in this very day for a diesel 4wd e40d/4r100 HD hybrid ,tugger kit,triple disc tc,large aux cooler.fully installed.
so we can be a little biased around these parts sometimes and sure is hard not to be.
mine has long surpassed having any "resale" value whatsoever compared to her self worth value to me.but i knew this before starting,and have no regrets.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Yup. I have headers thru tips ordered for my 250, and parts are on the way. Shes in the shop and supposed to be done today, but we had a blizzard blow in overnight and nobody is picking up at the shop.. I am afraid I may not get my truck back for a couple more days

12-14 inches of new snow can reduce travel for some weird reason.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
mine lost OD.dropped the pan to find metal flakes all over the place.
i'm trying to pick my spot between stow storms since it's my plow truck during winter months and hd hauler the rest of the year.
last time she was in the shop (last year for body work and paint job) we had a big snow storm and it took longer than expected and was without the plow! im so hoping this doesn't happen again this year.

we're gunna scare this guy right away from these old jalopies if he keep sharing all our shop stories LOL.
don't worry Dave.mines only been in for specialty things i can't do myself........however theres been plenty of that too lord knows. be handy with a wrench or look for something a bit newer.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
So I assume with that year truck there were no particular issues a buyer should be concerned about. In mentioning the seller's **** that includes he would not sell a vehicle if he's aware there's a machanical issue, even if he has to take a loss. I have borrowed the truck on occasion so he knows I like the 97 style, and features of the F250 but he also knows I am cheap. I would have to sell an SUV going on 200K, but also put money into it so I guess it comes down to whether or not he makes an offer I can't refuse? Appreciate the input, thank you!!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Even a Ford is going to need a little lovin from time to time.

What SUV are you going to have to sell?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Dave if this helps a little more.let it put it this way.

i see the book value is very roughly 2500-3k ok? is that what your coming up with via kbb too or?

to have installed a 2wd e40d your looking at right around that costs again.so he literally would simply be selling you the new trans,and you get the truck for free.

if you start looking to spend any more than 3k though,then your just starting to knock on the door of finding a decent base 4wd diesel truck.

also know this very important detail.with 180k miles on a 351w.the odds are against you (not that it cant happen.i wouldn't bank on it) that your engine will need to be replaced at some point during your ownership.

i'm not sure how to make it fair for both,if i could play god for min and say say you get this,and you pay this.i wouldn't even know how to make it fair.a real true catch 22 you have going on.

i have to say id skip this one.keep the friend.
oops./heres my ride!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy it if the price is right. Super **** owner I'd assume it's beatiful so buy it. Super **** owner saying the tranny is "slow shifting on cold morning" buy it, probably just needs new or has the wrong fluid, so buy it. A 9th gen 97 is a rarish truck and the last year, so buy it. Tell him you'll handle the great expense of "fixing" the tranny and get it super cheap, so did I say buy it

FORDF250HDXLT, I know you know a lot more about the e4od then I do but what is making you and everyone else assume the tranny is bad. "Slow shifting on cold morning" Tells me it's very likely tossing in some quility fluid and a filter will fix it right up.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
The SUV is a 90 4X4 Toyota SR5 4runner and I recently rebuilt the entire front suspension, front breaks, shocks, tires, and replaced the radiator and already put more into it than it's worth. Also, the trans is having shifting issues until engine is warm??

Seem to recall a replacement trans runs betweeen 3-4K which is more than I would be will to pay for the truck, nor do I think he would be able to recoup?? I am not looking to purchase an older used vehicle; however, knowing how he is overly consciencious with the care of his vehicles I just may pull the trigger, but as I mentioned, I am cheap and probly will not go over 3k, but I would think he could get more.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Well, which vehicle is more useful to you?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Well, which vehicle is more useful to you?
Although I don't used the 4X4 feature often it has come in handy; however, the occasional trip hauling the 5X8 enclosed trailor to the upper dessert in the middle of summer is an experience with the 65.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
You cannot haul the trailer with the 4Runner?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Purchased the 4runner with the 'tow package' and found, even with the V6, it places quite a demand on the engine, even during the vehicles earlier years, and particularly in mountainous terrain and the trailor packed to capacity. One of the occasions where I borrowed the F250 was so I could rent a car trailor, it's forbidden on the 4 runner, and depending on the rental agency they may hook up a car trailor to the 65 F100?? Hmmm, the F250 is sounding better.

Quick Reply: Whether to Purchase a 97 F250