6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looked at a 6.7 today, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
landscapeguy
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looked at a 6.7 today, is this normal?

I finally registered for this forum after being a long time reader for the 7.3 and now 6.7, so much information on here. Been reading about the 6.7 for about a year and a half now.

I went and test drove an f350 today and WOW these things are incredibly nice. I could not believe it. I'm almost not even sure that I would be able to work out of it =/ I thought I was driving a rugged Cadillac with a ridiculous amount of power.

I have been bouncing back and forth between what I want to purchase for my business between a C&C to replace my dumptruck, or a pickup to replace my pickup, but I have finally made up my mind. (on the pickup at least, now cant decide between supercab/8ft bed or crewcab/shortbed, and lariat or XLT)

I actually went there to look at two trucks but the one I drove was a 2012 F350 super-cab 8ft bed with almost all the options you can get on an xlt for what I feel is a decent price. The other was a 2012 F350 crew-cab Lariat with a short bed. ( Definitely the nicer truck and the one that I like better, but not sure if that would be best for the work side of things though)

I did notice though that there was a weird buzzing noise coming from around the front of the truck like almost in the dash from around the heater vents, almost like a humming... Is this normal? It was quiet but definitely audible and concerning. Maybe im just looking for problems because of the huge pricetag.

Any ideas on what this could be guys?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If its your business and you drive the truck, get whichever you want. They're nice but generally pretty durable. All the fancy stuff isn't fragile or anything. If you don't drive it then I may consider just getting an xlt just because the dash is a bit less busy and dust/dirt won't cover so many things that are important.

I have no idea what you mean regarding the sound. The truck makes a lot of unusual sounds and most of them happen when you shut it off or just before you start it.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard.

Did you notice the noise from both trucks? I don't notice it from mine. I have had it since August of 2010. Not sure what it would be.

Good luck on your search and be sure to report back what you find. And yes, we like pictures.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
landscapeguy
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
If its your business and you drive the truck, get whichever you want. They're nice but generally pretty durable. All the fancy stuff isn't fragile or anything. If you don't drive it then I may consider just getting an xlt just because the dash is a bit less busy and dust/dirt won't cover so many things that are important.

I have no idea what you mean regarding the sound. The truck makes a lot of unusual sounds and most of them happen when you shut it off or just before you start it.
It is going to be my truck, but the employees will occasionally drive it for certain jobs or if a different truck goes down, but 95% of the time I will be the driver.

I will have to take it for another ride and really examine it, I was in a hurry when I was in the dealership yesterday. What I keep thinking is that it may have been the rapid heat supplemental heater because it is electrical and it did sort of sound like an electrical motor noise.

Originally Posted by marchare011
Welcome aboard.

Did you notice the noise from both trucks? I don't notice it from mine. I have had it since August of 2010. Not sure what it would be.

Good luck on your search and be sure to report back what you find. And yes, we like pictures.
Thank you! I will be sure to keep it updated. I do have a picture from their website that I could post up, hopefully someone from NH doesnt see it and go snag it
New 2012 Ford F-350 For Sale | Portsmouth NH

The sticker is 54,900 and they are asking 45,500 with all the rebates (not sure If they will all apply to me, we did not get that far), is this a good price?

I did not drive both trucks because I was in a little bit of a time crunch, but I will be sure to drive more than one next time I stop in there.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air vents

I know this sounds easy, but check the dash air vent doors to see if they are all closed. This has happened to me after a car wash where they wiped down the interior and closed the vents. I noticed the strange noise coming from the dash, opened the vents, and presto, no noise.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by landscapeguy
It is going to be my truck, but the employees will occasionally drive it for certain jobs or if a different truck goes down, but 95% of the time I will be the driver.

I will have to take it for another ride and really examine it, I was in a hurry when I was in the dealership yesterday. What I keep thinking is that it may have been the rapid heat supplemental heater because it is electrical and it did sort of sound like an electrical motor noise.

Thank you! I will be sure to keep it updated. I do have a picture from their website that I could post up, hopefully someone from NH doesnt see it and go snag it
New 2012 Ford F-350 For Sale | Portsmouth NH

The sticker is 54,900 and they are asking 45,500 with all the rebates (not sure If they will all apply to me, we did not get that far), is this a good price?

I did not drive both trucks because I was in a little bit of a time crunch, but I will be sure to drive more than one next time I stop in there.
Nice looking truck for sure. One thing to consider is Ford offers an option called mykey. It allows you to control certain features of the vehicle ie: speed control, radio control, ummm I don't recall all of the features. Point is, if you are contemplating others driving your truck, you can program in some limits. Check into it before you react on my advice. Maybe it's for you, maybe not. I don't know what model it starts with. Mine is an Ultimate Lariat and it has it.

As for pricing, I'm a poor judge. I am easily influenced by the shiny stuff. Makes me weak in the knees like beautiful woman. I turn to butter.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
The basic message center also has a few mykey features.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
dzwiss
Senior User
I get a buzzing sound if the radio is on and aux is selected with nothing running through it.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kper05
The basic message center also has a few mykey features.
Good to know. Thanks Kper.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
I think MyKey comes on almost all of them.

$10k off that one in NH is a good deal.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM
JBFelsing
Freshman User
landscapeguy I have the buzzing noise also not sure what it is but it has done it since new. Even shut off I hear it when I walk around the truck in the garage I have a 2011 F250 6.7

Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
TSTAD
Freshman User
2011 F250 CC Whinning noise

I have a 2011 F250 CC FX4 with the 6.7 and her over the past few months I've noticed a whinning noise coming from the engine on cold start up that lasts for about one minute. Make sure that when you start that truck to listen for it. Two different Ford dealerships said that it was normal when I took it in. I don't think it's normal

Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 AM
CH1
New User
The short-box model has a 26gal fuel tank and the 8' box has a 37gal tank. If you're having to cover much distance with any kind of load that 26gal tank gets old in a hurry.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't want a long bed because of the larger turn radius. Ended up with the long bed and glad I got it. Turning radius is much less than my 7.3 short bed and, as was mentioned, larger fuel tank.