Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Blown turbo, any one else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 11:07 AM
wanton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was towing a heavy load up a hill and got a squealing noise from what sounded like my turbo bearings. The truck was running fine, all temps were normal, fluids were ok. I took the truck to my Ford dealer and he said everything was ok. One week later the truck started producing huge amounts of blue smoke out the exhaust pipe, back to the dealer, blown turbo bearings. The truck has been at the dealer for 3 days so far.

My dealer told me they have been having problems with the turbo screws coming loose due to the vibration of the engine, resulting in the turbo housing warping, which destroyes the bearings.

How common is this problem? Anyone else had similiar failures?

2002 Ford F-350 65,000 miles. Last week my alternator went out, starting to wonder whats next!

Old 06-03-2003, 05:37 AM
nitwit29
Junior User

I had the same problem in my 1999 F-350. Last year I took it in for something else w/ 76,000 miles and the dealer called me and said the turbo was pretty much gone. He quoted me a price to replace it. Well, then I quoted him a prie of FREE beacuse the motor has a 100k mile warranty. One of the bolts had rattled loose, saidit was a common problem. Needless to say they did it for free and put in a brand new turbo and I never went back to that dealer again. Oh, the problem was my brakes, pulling left. They said it was the ball joints. I took it to another dealer in the area I found out who knew what they were talking about. It was just the rotors. Oh well, live & learn.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:18 PM
flynavydiesel
Junior User

Which bolts are coming loose, I would be interested in checking mine out and preventing a failure when I need it.

Thanks
Sean

Old 06-06-2003, 07:58 AM
Calli
Senior User

Sean, The four bolts referred connect the turbo to the turbo housing plenum. They are above the pedestal which mounts the turbo. They run horizonal and have a torx type head on them. I recently installed a banks housing and two of my bolts were completely backed out, (on opposite sides) however there is a machined male to female fit between the two pieces and almost next to impossible to get out of alignment. Mine used 3/8 box end wrench. Rear are next to impossible to get to. Remove turbo?? Carroll

Last edited by Calli; 06-06-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:31 PM
flynavydiesel
Junior User

Carroll,
Thanks I am going to check mine and monitor them. I really don't want have any down time for maintenance even if it is covered by the warranty.

Sean

Old 06-15-2003, 05:30 PM
MrFeexit
Senior User

yeah and the sucky part is if you have to get back and re tighten them figure on all after noon...what a pain in the @$$