1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

clutch fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
1980-1982 300-6 engines with fan clutches use four bolts to hold the clutch on. All you have to do is remove the spacer and swap fans.
I was worried about those two/three years when I posted that.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The horrible whirring only happens with the thermostatic fan clutch when it's fully engaged offering maximum cooling to the engine.
I think I might have a problem with my fan clutch not engaging. I have replaced it twice, both with Motorcraft units, and I NEVER EVER hear it engage. During driving, the temperature usually seems fine; the needle rests right in the middle of the gauge most of the time. Other times, after driving for a while, the needle wants to creep up to the "A" on the "NORMAL" scale. The needle will come back down to the middle of the gauge, sometimes even below the middle of the gauge when I accelerate again. But if I sit at idle in the driveway in park, the needle is always right smack in the middle of the gauge! AND I NEVER HEAR THE FAN CLUTCH ENGAGE.

I don't really understand this. The top radiator hose is hot, the bottom hose is cool, and the coolant in the reservoir bottle isn't expanding as if the engine were getting hot. The center of the radiator where the fan clutch is located isn't all that hot. The engine doesn't seem hot, but at times the gauge says otherwise and I have NOT ONCE heard the fan clutch engage.

What gives? Is there a way I can check the fan clutch to make sure it is working when the engine starts to get hot?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
On mine I can hear the fan engage in hot weather when the temp gets up to about 195. That's sitting in the driveway idling. But out on the road I never hear it - possibly because it doesn't have to come on due to air flowing through the radiator.

As for checking yours, someone suggested testing the resistance to rotation when it is cold and again after the engine has gotten hot, like up to A on the gauge. Obviously this means you'll have to be quick and not let it cool down after shutting the engine off, but you should feel a big difference.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
What gives? Is there a way I can check the fan clutch to make sure it is working when the engine starts to get hot?
Yes, described in post #7.

If you have a metal fan blade and like to live dangerously you can try to slow the fan using a rolled up newspaper while the engine is hot and running. If you can slow it down the clutch is bad.
Personally I prefer the engine off method.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Most of the working clutch fans I have had make a terrible noise when you first start them up in the morning(they are locked). As they start turning, the fluid makes it's way to where it's supposed to be and they unlock after a few seconds. If you don't get this every morning you start it, I would be suspicious it's not working. The GMC van I use at work does this same thing, and is always locked when I start it in the morning.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good point Dave. Mine always engage when I first start with the engine cold.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I think I might have a problem with my fan clutch not engaging. I have replaced it twice, both with Motorcraft units, and I NEVER EVER hear it engage. During driving, the temperature usually seems fine; the needle rests right in the middle of the gauge most of the time. Other times, after driving for a while, the needle wants to creep up to the "A" on the "NORMAL" scale. The needle will come back down to the middle of the gauge, sometimes even below the middle of the gauge when I accelerate again. But if I sit at idle in the driveway in park, the needle is always right smack in the middle of the gauge! AND I NEVER HEAR THE FAN CLUTCH ENGAGE.

I don't really understand this. The top radiator hose is hot, the bottom hose is cool, and the coolant in the reservoir bottle isn't expanding as if the engine were getting hot. The center of the radiator where the fan clutch is located isn't all that hot. The engine doesn't seem hot, but at times the gauge says otherwise and I have NOT ONCE heard the fan clutch engage.

Well if you have a centrifugal fan clutch it will never lock. Only the thermostatic fan clutch locks. You can tell the difference between them as the front of the thermostatic Fan Clutch has a spring, the centrifugal fan clutch doesn't.

Some things to check...

The center of the radiator where the fan clutch is located isn't all that hot.
Check for blockages in the fins, etc...

The engine doesn't seem hot, but at times the gauge says otherwise
Possible Faulty gauge or wiring, or air pocket in engine.

and I have NOT ONCE heard the fan clutch engage.
It's possible that you have a centrifugal clutch, or the thermostatic clutch isn't getting hot enough.

Another trick on testing thermostatic clutches is to take a piece of cardboard and block the radiator for a few moments and let the engine heat up slightly. Just do not overheat your engine doing this...

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
taterwuzhere
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your gonna go through the trouble to change the fan just go electric. it takes no power from the engine, more powerful, mounts right against the radiator, and in my opinion gives you a cleaner looking engine bay. electric fans will give you the most mpg and hp gain.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by taterwuzhere
if your gonna go through the trouble to change the fan just go electric. it takes no power from the engine, more powerful, mounts right against the radiator, and in my opinion gives you a cleaner looking engine bay. electric fans will give you the most mpg and hp gain.
I have the exact opposite opinion on electric fans. I don't like them, and more trouble than they are worth.

Although it takes no power from the engine directly, you have to upgrade your charging system as the stock system will not have enough to power everything. I don't like the upgrading the charging system 3G upgrades either.

You have to retrofit the electric fans to work in these trucks. Some of these retrofits I've seen are, cut, tape, splice, zip tie, the things to the radiator. To me this looks very shoddy, and the electric fans look very out of place.

Clutch fan only requires four bolts and 10 minutes and you are done. Electric fans require several hours/days of in my opinion, jury rigging. Lot less effort to switch to a fan clutch, than to go electric.

With that said, I really do not like any non-factory equipped modification. If I wanted something with electric fans, modern gadgets, out of place modifications or electronics, I'd buy a brand new truck. So to each their own.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
On mine I can hear the fan engage in hot weather when the temp gets up to about 195. That's sitting in the driveway idling. But out on the road I never hear it - possibly because it doesn't have to come on due to air flowing through the radiator.
After I drive my truck for 20 minutes, the gauge will eventually end up on the "A" in NORMAL. I can turn the truck off and let all the needles go back to zero, start it right back up again, and the temperature needle will come back down to dead center of the gauge between the "R" and "M" within a few seconds and STAY THERE. I can let it sit there and idle for 10 minutes in the driveway, and the temperature stays right there. Yet I NEVER hear the fan clutch turn on!

I can take it for a drive again, and the same thing happens: the temperature wants to creep back up again to "A" and stay there. But if I accelerate from a stop, the needle will come back down to the middle of the gauge or even a bit lower.

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
As for checking yours, someone suggested testing the resistance to rotation when it is cold and again after the engine has gotten hot, like up to A on the gauge. Obviously this means you'll have to be quick and not let it cool down after shutting the engine off, but you should feel a big difference.
When I shut the engine off, the fan continues to "freewheel" for a few seconds. But it does seem a bit stiffer hot rather than when the engine is cold.

Originally Posted by Franklin2
Most of the working clutch fans I have had make a terrible noise when you first start them up in the morning(they are locked). As they start turning, the fluid makes it's way to where it's supposed to be and they unlock after a few seconds. If you don't get this every morning you start it, I would be suspicious it's not working.
I don't hear the fan clutch at all when I first start the vehicle, or when it is running normally. I have replaced the fan clutch TWICE with brand new Motorcraft units, each time with the same result. I can't imagine TWO being bad right out of the box. Are the original Motorcraft units quieter than aftermarket clutches?

Well if you have a centrifugal fan clutch it will never lock. Only the thermostatic fan clutch locks. You can tell the difference between them as the front of the thermostatic Fan Clutch has a spring, the centrifugal fan clutch doesn't.

It's possible that you have a centrifugal clutch, or the thermostatic clutch isn't getting hot enough.
I do have the correct thermostatic fan clutch; there is a spring on the front of it. The clutch just bolts to the front of the fan. The clutch attaches to the front of the fan with four bolts, and the fan attaches to the water pump with four bolts. The radiator is a brand new 2-core aluminum radiator. The sending unit has been replaced twice, both with Motorcraft units.

At normal operating temperature, the top radiator hose is pressurized and hot, and the lower one is much cooler, barely even warm. The center of the radiator where the fan clutch is doesn't seem all that hot either.

How do I check for an air pocket, and what can I do to fix it if I have one?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
After I drive my truck for 20 minutes, the gauge will eventually end up on the "A" in NORMAL. I can turn the truck off and let all the needles go back to zero, start it right back up again, and the temperature needle will come back down to dead center of the gauge between the "R" and "M" within a few seconds and STAY THERE. I can let it sit there and idle for 10 minutes in the driveway, and the temperature stays right there. Yet I NEVER hear the fan clutch turn on!

I can take it for a drive again, and the same thing happens: the temperature wants to creep back up again to "A" and stay there. But if I accelerate, the gauge will come back down to the middle of the gauge or even a bit lower.
I won't try to analyze the condition of your clutch, I've had similar symptoms with different ones myself - 20 year old units doing the expected 'cold start roar' for 30 seconds then quietening; & also new ones never doing so.........but spinning smoothly, & never giving cooling problems either.

I eventually came to the conclusion that different clutches simply had different characteristics.

But when you are experiencing the 'overheating' symptoms you describe, I would use an infra-red thermometer to confirm what is really happening, & where (heads, below thermostat, above thermostat, top hose, bottom hose, etc).
The original gauges are really only any good for a very broad (& varying) indication.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Blythen
I won't try to analyze the condition of your clutch, I've had similar symptoms with different ones myself - 20 year old units doing the expected 'cold start roar' for 30 seconds then quietening; & also new ones never doing so.........but spinning smoothly, & never giving cooling problems either.

I eventually came to the conclusion that different clutches simply had different characteristics.

But when you are experiencing the 'overheating' symptoms you describe, I would use an infra-red thermometer to confirm what is really happening, & where (heads, below thermostat, above thermostat, top hose, bottom hose, etc).
The original gauges are really only any good for a very broad (& varying) indication.
X2! In reverse order, you really do need aftermarket gauges - at least a temp gauge. I fought what I thought were heating problems some time ago only to discover that the real problem was the gauge. And, I discovered that with an aftermarket temp gauge.

My fans don't roar right after startup unless it is really hot outside and the truck has been driven and the radiator hot. Then it does roar, but it should do. On the other hand, when the outside temp is hot and the radiator is up to temp the fans don't continue to freewheel for a few seconds when the engine is shut off - they stop pretty quickly. But, that is only in hot weather after everything is up to temp.

My guess is that there is no problem, but that is just a guess. Without good data that is all that can be done - guess. You need a real temp gauge on the truck.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Air pocket in the cooling system... Run the engine with the radiator cap off on a cool engine untill the thermostat opens should eliminate any air in the system.

The top radiator hose being hot, and the bottom being cool suggests that the cooling system is operating normally.

I would get a mechanical temperature gauge, place it where the temperature sending unit is located and let the engine warm up. If the temps are within spec, I would replace the temperature sending unit.

I suspect the only problem you have is with the gauge itself, wiring or the sending unit.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Indie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts to use to eliminate a fan clutch ...?

Does anyone know the parts/numbers/etc to get to eliminate using a fan clutch on and 80-86 ford 300-6 cyl ?
I am satisfied with simple old school stuff.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Indie
Does anyone know the parts/numbers/etc to get to eliminate using a fan clutch on and 80-86 ford 300-6 cyl ?
I am satisfied with simple old school stuff.
You would need the complete fan assembly and possibly the correct pulley also. That's going to be junkyard items. It may also depend on if you have the thread on type of clutch. If you do, you would need the older style waterpump also. I think I would just get a new clutch.

Quick Reply: clutch fan