General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Join The Marine Corps.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 11:29 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhhhh the Marine Corps. Never in my whole life have I met anyone so devoted to their own group as a former Marine is. Every Marine and former Marine I talk too is proud as a peacock to boast about their service. To me that says something. Other branches may knock the Marines as being brainwashed leathernecks, but it is probably envy talking. As far as I know the Marines are the only branch of the Armed Services that does not have any trouble making their recruitment quotas. Yeah it's the smallest branch, but still it's impressive. The Marine Corps is the best course for a young man to take if they want a challenge. I'm not knocking other branches of the armed services, they all have their merits, but on whole I don't see the same level of pride and loyalty that the Marines show in the other Branches. Semper fidelis.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:12 PM
theologian
Postmaster

They won't have me - I'm tooooo old.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:26 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User

You've fullfilled your duty Chaplain, Many thanks for your service!

Old 05-30-2003, 02:11 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru

...GO ARMY!

Old 05-30-2003, 05:36 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru

OOR RAH!!!!! its a devil dog thing most don't, won't , can't understand

Old 05-30-2003, 07:57 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never in my whole life have I met anyone so devoted to their own group as a former Marine is.
There's no such thing.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:59 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

To quote Sgt. Hartman from Full Metal Jacket - "God loves the Marines, because they kill everything they see. We keep Heaven stocked with souls"

The Marines are the roughest, toughest, downright nastiest bunch of thugs on the planet, and they wouldn't have it any other way. Every branch of the armed services has its strong and weak points. It's just that the Marines are the baddest of the bad, and everybody knows it.

I remember reading an article somewhere about a Korean general who had surrendered to the Americans. He said that when he announced to his men that the US Marines would arrive shortly, they started freaking out, gettin' the shakes, vomiting, etc. He even said one or two peed themselves they were so scared. Now THAT'S impressive!

Anyone who serves in the Armed Forces deserves the utmost respect for their actions (unless, of course, they're some scumbag) regardless of what branch. They all work together to keep us safe from scumbags.

Keep in mind, "Once a Marine, always a Marine". No such thing as a "Former Marine".

As far as other services envying the Marines, I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but I think it's more the fact that the Marines aren't for everybody. Just like I'm not a big fan of ricecars - they're not for me, but somebody else just loves them to death.

No particular branch is "better" than the other - once again, they all complement each other to protect us. However, I do remember a Tshirt I saw a while back - "The US Marines - when it absolutely, positively has to be blown up overnight."

XXL

PS - I'm a Navy brat.

Old 05-31-2003, 10:34 PM
smpoyser
New User

I'm a Marine but haven't been on active duty for thirty years. There is no such thing as a former or ex Marine. Marine service was tough and so was my service in Viet Nam but I owe a whole lot to the Marine Corps. I'm glad I did it. SEMPER FI to all you devil dogs.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:55 AM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas

Such a true statement. I used to "think" I was an X-Marine. Then one day it hit me. I'm still as proud of being a Marine as I was the day I enlisted... and the day I wen't to boot camp.... and the day I graduated boot camp... and the day... and the day...

It never ends.

"Not as lean, not as mean but still a MARINE"

and your right. NO OTHER Service shares the camaraderie you find in a US Marine.

No disrespect to any other service. But, the Marines are truley a tightly knit family.

For a few cool Marine stuff...

Check this out...

http://www.jeeps4ever.com/JAFO/Other%20Cool%20Stuff/

Old 06-06-2003, 06:55 PM
NRAJOE
Thumbs down Join The Marine Corps.....

GO ARMY!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2003, 09:29 PM
E4corporal
Senior User

This is something i found awhile ago... you all might like, some might not... but hey dont take offense its all good. And if you do, you at least served in one branch or another.

Hair Cuts:
Marines.. Heads will be shaved
Army.. Stylish Flat tops for all recruits

Training hours:
Marines.. Reveille at 0500, train till 2000
Army.. Reveille at 0600, train till 1900

Meals:
Marines.. MRE's three times aday
Army.. One hot meal, two MRE's

Leave and liberty:
Marines.. None
Army.. 4 Hours a week

Protocol:
Marines.. will address all oficers as sir, and refer to the rank of all enlisted members when speaking (ie.. sgt Smith)
Army.. Will address all oficers as sir, Then are allowed to call all enlisted personnel sarge.

Decorations and awards:
Marines.. Medals and badges are awarded for acts of bravery and galantry.
Army.. Medals and badges are awarded for every bullet fired, every bunk made, every grenade thrown, and passing a fitness test.

Camoflauge Uniforms:
Marines.. Work uniform to be worn only during training and infeild situations.
Army.. Will wear anytime anywhere.

Career Feilds:
Marines.. All Marines are considered Rifleman first and foremost
Army.. It does not matter, all career feilds promote to E8 in the first enlistment...

Remember this is not to be taken seriously.
Semper Fi, all my fellow Marines

Old 06-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster

Originally posted by E4corporal
This is something i found awhile ago... you all might like, some might not... but hey dont take offense its all good. And if you do, you at least served in one branch or another.

Hair Cuts:
Marines.. Heads will be shaved
Army.. Stylish Flat tops for all recruits

USAF: Short tapered, does not touch ears

Training hours:
Marines.. Reveille at 0500, train till 2000
Army.. Reveille at 0600, train till 1900

Be at work at 7, off at 4, 1 hour luch

Meals:
Marines.. MRE's three times aday
Army.. One hot meal, two MRE's

3 hot meals

Leave and liberty:
Marines.. None
Army.. 4 Hours a week

Weekends off

Protocol:
Marines.. will address all oficers as sir, and refer to the rank of all enlisted members when speaking (ie.. sgt Smith)
Army.. Will address all oficers as sir, Then are allowed to call all enlisted personnel sarge.

Call officers Sir/Mam, or L.T.
Call Enlisted by first name

Decorations and awards:
Marines.. Medals and badges are awarded for acts of bravery and galantry.
Army.. Medals and badges are awarded for every bullet fired, every bunk made, every grenade thrown, and passing a fitness test.

Get awards for showing u to work and not getting Art 15

Camoflauge Uniforms:
Marines.. Work uniform to be worn only during training and infeild situations.
Army.. Will wear anytime anywhere.

Uniform?

Career Feilds:
Army.. It does not matter, all career feilds promote to E8 in the first enlistment...

Possibilities are endless

Remember this is not to be taken seriously.
Semper Fi, all my fellow Marines

Just my take AIM HIGH AIR FORCE!

Old 06-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Matchka
New User

Career Feilds:
[/QUOTE]

This is simply not true! It took me 2 years to make E-5! (that's cuz I was in training the first 2 years)

When I decided to join up I was walking down the hallway of this gerneral recruiting station. My decision was made thus:

COAST GUARD -- office closed, all personnel at a convention in, get this, LAS VEGAS.

NAVY -- Recruiter was convinced I'd be perfect for the Nuke program before even talking to me about why I wasn't at work just then. I'd heard of that program. I thanked him and left.

AIR FORCE -- Recruiter wasn't so sure I could hack the gruelling lifestyle of the 'Force. Evidently he didn't realize I was smarter 'n he was.

MARINES -- Didn't want to waste their time. Knew I wasn't mentally or physically correct for the job (was 24 and basically a bum--the shock woulda killed me). Found out later I was right!

ARMY -- Well, it was the last option so I walked in & sat down and asked, "Why should I join the Army?" The guy was good.

As proud as I am of my service, I was always a bit unsettled by the Army's tolerance for incompetence. It's legend, I know, but it bleeds over into the general attitude of the soldiery. The only thing I can't stand about Marines is that they're so damn cocky about KNOWING they're the tightest bunch on the battlefield. To approach the attitude in other branches requires specialty units: Delta (do they exist yet?), Rangers, SF, Seals, etc.

From a oldier's perspective I'd say anyone under, like, 22 and single with no aspirations of marriage would make a good Marine. Anyone else who wants a life or is beginning to realize that the 25 year-old body takes longer to recover from a long weekend should strongly consider just about anything else. If you are lame and can't run, get yourself on a boat so you don't have to!

Sgt Hutton, 124th (now 103rd I guess) MI

Old 06-07-2003, 12:46 AM
number55
Junior User

Yep the Marine corps Dept Of The Navy!!!!!My dad was a marine
'56-60.......I was in the first gulf war 7/90 to 4/91 i guess the way
you express your patriotism is your own but being a Marine.Sailor,
Airman, Army,or a Coasty doesnt make a diff. Being a Vet is just that....I have as much pride in my service in the navy as any marine.....and that goes for any other vet.........whatever branch they served in........God bless all vets who gave a part of their
lives to protect our freedom,whatever the branch whatever the
era,what ever the war or peacetime...............dave

Old 06-07-2003, 08:27 AM
airforce183
New User

The marines may be the bad-asses of all the services, but that's their job, their mission. Just as the Army, Navy, and Air Force has their own unique jobs and missions. It's really hard to compare which service is truly "better" than the other because none of them could do it without the support of the other services. I've heard people say, "yeah the air force... they're just civilians in uniforms..." but i bet they're not thinking that when out on the battlefield they receive aerial support from an A-10 warthog or when they receive their supplies from a C-5 galaxy. I have much respect for the marines and what they do, but on the same note, that is what they have chosen to do, just as I have chosen to do my service in the world's greatest Air Force

Quick Reply: Join The Marine Corps.....