Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Train Horns

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
parker245
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Horns

Been wanting to do this for years, but never got around to it 'till just recently. I installed a set of train horns earlier this month. I didn't get the full blown set with the compressor and tank, but these have individual compressors for each horn and they are plenty loud.

I did a couple of things different on the install over what the installation instructions indicated. I replaced the wire that came with the kit with some heavier gauge wiring and tossed the fuse assembly for a heavier duty, water proof flat fuse instead of the glass tube fuse supplied, and I added a secondary switch so I still have the factory horn hooked up to the steering wheel. I didn't get the factory trailer brake controller so where it would have gone in the dash was simply a slot I used to put my cellphone, business cards and crap like that. I installed a red button inside that compartment so that it was out of the way and obscured from view.

While I had it all apart, I installed my phone cradle and added my cellphone booster as well, mounting a low profile antenna on the windshield.

Anyway, the horn is a novelty, but I've been able to scare the crap out of some people on more than a few occasions, and am waiting on the first idiot sighting on the road to remind them to get out of my way. The only downside to it is now every time my son gets in the truck, he finds tons of people and things to blow it at.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, that is better than dusting them with black smoke from unutilized fuel.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
Any link to where you got them? Been thinking about doing this myself.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!! We like pictures!

Where did you install the actual horns?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
parker245
Senior User
I installed them in front of the radiator, right in front of the factory horns.

I didn't hook them up to the horn on the steering wheel opting to keep the factory horns usable. Instead I installed a "special" red button in the cavity where the factory brake controller would go.

A little closer view -

I got these off Amazon. I looked briefly there but couldn't find them still there. The graphic in my original post shows the kit.

If you do the install, use heavier gauge wiring and a heavy duty fuse holder instead of the one that comes in the kit. The one included in the kit is a tube style buzz fuse and the wire leading to and from the screw in, inline fuse holder is substandard. A buddy of mine installed the same kit on his Dodge using all the wiring that came with the kit and kept blowing the fuse. He went above and beyond and installed a 40 amp breaker.

These are as loud as I think I could find without going to the full blown compressor models. Each horn has its on-demand compressor. Most other kits I saw had one on-demand compressor for multiple horns. It I ad to this, I'll make sure I get another on-demand compressor for the third or fourth horn. Right now, it will get peoples attention for sure. I can't tell you how many people I've made jump through the roof with them!

And yes, before somebody makes the comment, it is a dirty truck. It is just a sign of it being used for what it is intended for the last few months. Camping down a dirt/gravel road 8 miles out in the middle of the Ouachita Mountain Range, driving to the skeet and trap club once a week down a muddy road, generally rainy here for the last month, and just returning from a trip to the lake. Maybe I'll take the time to clean it up once it begins to warm up. But the week after next is another camping trip up to Broken Bow, and after that up to White Cliffs again in Arkansas. The Boy Scouts are keeping my hopping.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
I bet you scare the crap out of yourself once when you temporaily forget that button is there and reach for one of those business cards
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

It may never happen but if it ever does, you'd better tell me so I can laugh my hinny off HA HA HA HA A HA

Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Looks real good, you did a great job and I appreciate the advice on the fuses and the wire

Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
Wheres the video of the horn in action Most of the on demand set-ups I have seen like that have a really high pitched sound.

+1 on the advice for the wiring.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
parker245
Senior User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Wheres the video of the horn in action Most of the on demand set-ups I have seen like that have a really high pitched sound.

+1 on the advice for the wiring.
I'll have to work on the video with sound. The pitch is lower than you would think, but still not as low and loud as a train.

As for reaching for the business cards? Before I installed my hands free charging cradle for my phone, I used to keep my iPhone in that slot. And yes, I blew the horn reaching for the business cards...ONCE.

The best on so far was when I got tagged to pick my son up from high school. He's in the 9th grade, so he isn't driving yet. He has another boy riding home with him and usually my wife picks them up. Well, I went one afternoon. When the other boys hand touched the door handle, I blew the horn. He jumped up and started to run like a scalded dawg right there in the high school parking lot. I think he pissed himself.

I live in a small burb just west or Texarkana. I know EVERYONE in town. The fire station is at the corner of my neighborhood and the main street out of town. The other morning I caught the fire chief just as he was getting out of his Chief's Truck we got him to drive around. It was early one morning and he was about to his office door. I blew the horn at him and he nearly jerked a knot in his neck to see what was blowing that loud. I saw him at a towns meeting the other night and he had some kind words for me.

Yeah, it is fun. I'm prolly gonna get my **** kicked, or at least somebody will try one day. If they look real pissed, please refer to the thread about What You're Carrying in the Texas Chapter with my name on it.....

Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
LOL! Great post. I also love the Ouachitas...because I grew up in them. I like the horns...may have to get me some.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
itsnotanova
Posting Guru
Nothing like blowing your air horns when someone does something really stupid or inconsiderate. Of course it's also a quick way to get into an argument with a hot head.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
parker245
Senior User
Originally Posted by itsnotanova
Nothing like blowing your air horns when someone does something really stupid or inconsiderate. Of course it's also a quick way to get into an argument with a hot head.
Like I said, if they are too hot headed, I can cool them off real quick, too.