1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Location, location, location

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,172 Likes on 839 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Ya, but she sure is PURDY
That sir I will have to whole heartly agree with you

Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I could give you his contact info but you'd have to take at least half a day to explain to him what a computer is and then the other half to try to get him to understand what you want him to do with it. He's not the brightest bulb in the pack especially when it comes to modern technology. Heck, I have a heck of a time trying to explain to my wife how to shut a window on the computer program. I don't know how many times I've showed her the little red box in the upper right hand corner with the "X" in it and she's a hundred times more technical savvy than her dad is.

I'll send you his contact information, some one else should have to suffer him besides me.

Let me add this, I am more willing to help complete strangers than to help the old man. I've tried, believe me, I've tried.
That made me laugh! My father, a highly educated man who was an English teacher and then the director of his own school, got a computer in the early 90's to help him with the text books he authored. Well into his seventies, he would get me to come over to find his documents. He would save them, but he could never figure out that you need to pay attention to where you save them. New tabs? new windows? Applications? Files? My wife and I would be in hysterics while we tried to help him. He never did think it was funny...

Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by topmoo
That made me laugh! My father, a highly educated man who was an English teacher and then the director of his own school, got a computer in the early 90's to help him with the text books he authored. Well into his seventies, he would get me to come over to find his documents. He would save them, but he could never figure out that you need to pay attention to where you save them. New tabs? new windows? Applications? Files? My wife and I would be in hysterics while we tried to help him. He never did think it was funny...
The problem with my father-in-law is he was taught a long time ago by his mother and two older sisters, and later his wife, that he was the center of the universe. What he says goes, no argument. He thinks he's the more learned man even though he has rarely gone farther than 20 miles from the farm he was born on. He knows everything but really knows little. He also has a temper, he's the oldest 2 year old you'll ever meet.

I had an old guy in his 70s who could tell you the history of the world. He was a tool and die maker and could make the most detailed machined parts. He worked for the 3 big car makers. He got a computer and learned to use AutoCad. He did some very detailed drawings. He was no dummy. One day he calls me up and says his computer isn't working. I'm no computer scientist but I helped him a few times on some simple problems. I go over to his shop and look through his computer. Some one had partitioned his hard drive and he was saving all of his drawing in the C drive which was 99% full because of that. AutoCad saved drawings in one file by default, he never set up specific folders for his work. I pulled all of his drawings from the C drive and put them in his D or E drive and his computer worked like a charm. I even showed him how I set up folders by customer, job and sub folders. A couple of months later same thing. He had hundreds of drawing with long alpha numerical names. I asked how he retrieved his drawings and he said he just searched until he found the drawing he was looking for. Also, he did all his invoicing and quotes in AutoCad, which were HUGE files compared to word processing files. I tried to get him to use the proper programs but he refused to. I gave up.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to try to teach my in-laws to use a computer

Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your father in law would get along well with my father in law. He is a Harris County Judge and has been on the bench longer than any other Judge here. He is always right, period. He never comes down from his perch, high above everybody else. He lives in a mansion with his trophy wife and has almost nothing to do with his son or daughter. He also never outgrew the "terrible twos". Just got to love those in-laws...

Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,098 Likes on 1,948 Posts
Bob,
I think I can make some room in the beer box for a root beer or two. After all, the old Pepsi machine has had its share of root beers run through it in its time

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
Bob , Rojak is planing a get together in May . I would think all are welcomed to come . I think it is going to be at his farm outside Bloomington normal you should come down. I will try to hook up the tread to here.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...llinois-3.html
Yes, I'm planning a Central IL (And Beyond) Meet & Greet in May. I'll have more details posted tomorrow. All are welcome to attend! I've never really came down from the high of attending Truckstock 2012 last Fall so this will hopefully help to get me through until Truckstock 2013. I really do hope Bob shows up as I did have to drive all the way to Eastern KY (Truckstock) to see him and take a drive in his truck.

I'm not sure if my wife would like it if we were all neighbors. I'm sure like when I was a kid I'd lose track of time playing trucks with my friends!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 744 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Bob,
I think I can make some room in the beer box for a root beer or two. After all, the old Pepsi machine has had its share of root beers run through it in its time
Bobby?? is that an old locker you're using for the blue parts boxes ??? nice job of recycling... I bet we've scrapped hundreds of those things

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,098 Likes on 1,948 Posts
Before you get all crazy and thinking I'm some kind of clever recycling genious, i should explain. Those are actually bolt bins. My late step-dad was a rep fro Midwest Fastener. After he passed away I ended up with a garage full of these bolt bins. I spread the joy and passed them around to all of my car buddys. Heck, I even gave some to a buddy's wife who runs and adult novelty company to store her product in....lol

Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not kin to bobj but he did spend a nite at me house onced,ye think thats why I am so dumb when it comes to a computer, his FIL rubbed off on me.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Heck, I even gave some to a buddy's wife who runs and adult novelty company to store her product in....lol
What did you get in return?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 321 Likes on 222 Posts
What did you get in return?
Leather restraints?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
jhaas63
Senior User
Bob, I wish we lived closer than we currently do (I am by the dells). Im 30 and this is my first flathead and first old truck. Old cars are in my blood but I lack that real mechanical knowledge. I wish I lived by an "old timer" who I could gain knowledge/experience. I wished I lived next to "Walt" (clint eastwood) in Gran Torino.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jhaas63
Bob, I wish we lived closer than we currently do (I am by the dells). Im 30 and this is my first flathead and first old truck. Old cars are in my blood but I lack that real mechanical knowledge. I wish I lived by an "old timer" who I could gain knowledge/experience. I wished I lived next to "Walt" (clint eastwood) in Gran Torino.
You ain't calling me an "Old timer" are you? I just turned 50, there are a few still breathing on this board who are quite a few years older than me. I'm not expert, my dad was an expert on this old trucks, I just fumble around until I find a fix for what's not working. Usually I get suggestions from more knowing and try to pass along what I have learned.

BTW, since you live in the Dells have no excuse not to attend the Dash to the Dells in the fall. Heck, for you it's more like a "saunter" than a dash. It's a great show held by the Badgerland F-100 club, great bunch of guys.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
You ain't calling me an "Old timer" are you? I just turned 50, there are a few still breathing on this board who are quite a few years older than me. I'm not expert, my dad was an expert on this old trucks, Ijust fumble around until I find a fix for what's not working. Usually I get suggestions from more knowing and try to pass along what I have learned.

BTW, since you live in the Dells have no excuse not to attend the Dash to the Dells in the fall. Heck, for you it's more like a "saunter" than a dash. It's a great show held by the Badgerland F-100 club, great bunch of guys.
I believe he was referring to your time on the forum(2001)heck that's like 84 in dog years!!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM
jhaas63
Senior User
You ain't calling me an "Old timer" are you? I just turned 50, there are a few still breathing on this board who are quite a few years older than me. I'm not expert, my dad was an expert on this old trucks, I just fumble around until I find a fix for what's not working. Usually I get suggestions from more knowing and try to pass along what I have learned.

Well, I hadn't ever met ya, so I have no way of knowing how old you are. 50 isn't what I would consider an "old timer" though. But, it is pretty safe to think you have a ton more knowledge than me about these trucks. Think about it...you were already on this forum and I was graduating from high school. And that was 12 years ago.

I am excited about the dash to the dells and automotion too. Where is the Badgerland F100 truck club out of? I would love to join but there website doesn't have any info about joining or meetings or anything.

Quick Reply: Location, location, location