Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33" tires on 1995 F150 XL 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to re-gear I'de say from $300-$500 plus the cost of gears?? But Again I'm not sure.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
CoreLokt
Junior User
Yeah the most offroad I ever really get to do is during hunting season. Our hunting club is reasonably well kept. One guy even rides around in a lowered Toyota on street tires! Occasionally there will be someone getting bogged down but its not often. I have always been the type that I want more than what I need haha. I usually do the work myself too however I always had my dad and his tools to help me. (I'm in college now and he lives an hour away) I put a new power steering pump and gearbox in if that counts for anything! I guess the next time I go down I could see if he would be willing to help but I don't think that he has ever regeared a differential or even taken the cover off of one for that matter.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Of course it counts! Every time you tear into your truck in any way you'll learn something and be better able for next time. As far as changing the gears yourself. It's fairly simple and I'm sure your dad could help you do it with ease. Just make sure you get the right gears ahead of time, and be prepared to get messy. The gears are covered with diff fluid.

Have fun, Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
CoreLokt
Junior User
I think I'm gonna settle with a 32x11.50 M/T. Can I get away with a slightly higher gear ratio? I want to be as fuel efficient as possible as I'm only getting around 13-15 on my 31's. As far as clearing the tires I am considering this kit Ford Leveling Suspension Lift Kit

Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Sure, you could go with 3.55 or 3.73 and be fine with what you use your truck for. Maybe even lower. And that kit also looks fine for what you need, and because it's only 130 bucks even if you need to upgrade leaf springs eventually, you won't be out a bunch of money.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
CoreLokt
Junior User
I have also seen where people replaced their front springs with a heavier duty spring that is a little taller such as an F-250 spring but I dont want my truck to be too stiff haha. I think I may try the rough country kit that I put that link up for or this kit: BDS Coil Springs, 1½-2" Lift There is a big difference between the front and back on my truck so I want to make sure I'm getting enough spring which has me leaning more towards 2" ones however the front ones probably have never been replaced and have 255,000 miles on them. The BDS ones have a lifetime no questions asked replacement if they break which is kinda cool. I am gonna do some measuring in the morning and will probably make a purchase tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help. I will post pics after the lift, then after the tires. The regear will have to come after the tires as mine are getting scary wih dryrot and I dont want to get a small set just to have to upgrade in the near future. (i pulled them off of a wrecked bronco in the junkyard just in case you didnt see that on my first post) I should be ok with the 3.08 gears for around a month or 2 wouldnt you say? They handle he 31's just fine and I am gonna go with a 32x11.50 Nanking Mud Star Tire on my stock rims. I think my truck is gonna look really nice after these upgrades

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you budget for an alignment, you'll need one after the springs are installed.

Fuel efficiency, lift, and larger (heavier) tires usually aren't terms that are used in the same sentence. Larger, heavier tires will result in lower MPG.

Make sure you adjust the PSOM for your larger tires so your speedo reads correctly.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CoreLokt
I want to be as fuel efficient as possible as I'm only getting around 13-15 on my 31's.
I realize you're just a kid, but you're all over the map here. Limited budget, fuel efficiency is important, limited technical abilities, and yet you want to convert your ride into a high-maintenance, fuel-INefficient "Monster Truck".

I was a kid once too, so I get it, but sometimes you need to stop and make rational adult decisions.

Jeez, I sound like I'm about 100 years old now....

Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
CoreLokt
Junior User
Look I realize that my truck is not a Prius. I am not trying to make it into a monster truck, but simply a "Prerunner" if you will. I want it to look as close to a 4WD as possible. Can you really blame me for wanting to save gas? I was trying to figure out what the highest possible gears I could run with 32's were so that I could save as much fuel as possible. When I came to this forum, I was just looking for some help as I am no expert by any means. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I have never lifted a truck before to put bigger tires on it so I am just looking for some guidance.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
CoreLokt
Junior User
Back to the topic! So I went and did some measurements today to make sure that kit I am looking into getting is going to be enough to make my truck level. All of the following measurements are from the ground to the fenderwell. Driver's side Rear: 34 1/2". Driver's Front 32 1/4" Passenger Front 32 1/2". Passenger Rear: 34 3/8. My driveway slopes downward slightly but is reasonably flat and the front of the truck is pointing down the slope. I also measured my coils and they are almost exactly 12" installed height. I am assuming that they are the factory coils and probably aren't as strong as new ones are going to be so do you think that with these coils: BDS Coil Springs, 1½-2" Lift That i will get a level height? I also found this kit: http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A6485A0A0.aspx which would you recommend?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Your 3.08 will be fine for awhile until you upgrade. just plan on a little more sluggish movement. Overall I would eventually upgrade your front springs to something a little heavier (like f250 leafs) but until then I would suggest the BDS coil springs. Just because I don't like the blocks the other uses... just my 2 cents. Your trucks gonna be a nice little toy when you're done lol

Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
CoreLokt
Junior User
I have been waiting on your reply all day haha! I too think i will go with the BDS coils. They have a kit that includes the adjustable bushings for the alignment for just under $230 shipped to my door. You think I should go with that? The one for 4WD is $10 cheaper for some reason but they look identical. Any idea what the difference would be?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
If you feel comfortable aligning your truck go for it. But I know I feel better taking it in to a shop for that one simply because they can do it right. If you get the right shop to do it they'll charge roughly 60 bucks for alignment all ways. Also the bushings can be a real bear to get off if you don't have the right tools, especially with the miles your trucks got on it.

As far as difference between 4wheel and 2? I'm not sure but it may be something to do with the build of the hubs, and the parts being easier to make. Again not sure hah .

Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
CoreLokt
Junior User
Well yeah I was going to take it in to have it aligned too but a lot of people say that they charge a lot extra for the bushings so I figured it would probably save me money if I bought them myself and gave them to them to put them in when I go for the alignment.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Buying parts and handing them to the shop to install is like bringing your own eggs to a dinner and having them cook them.

33s will Not fit on a 2wd. 32s will have a hard enough time fitting.

Next, fuel milage. Tt will go DOWN, it ALWAYS gores DOWN when you put a larger and WIDER tire on a truck. It take more power to get it moving, and more power to keep it moving, simple physics .

I dont fault you for wanting a pre runner, they look good. But your goals are unrealistic

Quick Reply: 33" tires on 1995 F150 XL 2WD?