6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Heated Steering Wheel DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:28 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just another data point to consider...
The airbag will probably have to be deactivated otherwise there's a chance it could go off when removed.
In my Porsche race car conversion we had to disconnect the battery for 24 hours before we removed the steering wheel....

Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by smlford
Just another data point to consider...
The airbag will probably have to be deactivated otherwise there's a chance it could go off when removed.
In my Porsche race car conversion we had to disconnect the battery for 24 hours before we removed the steering wheel....
?? I find that interesting, what was the purpose behind the 24 hrs?

Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As it was explained to me the airbag is "energized" and needs time to dissipate the charge.
I didn't want to test it out. Maybe some ASE mechanic can chime in...

Old 01-21-2018, 05:28 PM
tsedgar
Hawkerpilot05
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish you could do this on a 2012 F350 with only the Sync 1. That is the only item I wish this truck had.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Here is the procedure from the Ford Workshop DVD on deactivating the Airbag

Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Never probe the electrical connectors on airbag, Safety Canopy or side air curtain assemblies. Failure to follow this instruction may result in the accidental deployment of these assemblies, which increases the risk of serious personal injury or death.

WARNING: Never disassemble or tamper with seat belt deployable components, including pretensioners, load limiters and inflators. Never back probe deployable device electrical connectors. Tampering or back probing may cause an accidental deployment and result in personal injury or death.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of accidental deployment, do not use any memory saver devices. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury or death.

NOTE: The air bag warning indicator illuminates when the correct Restraints Control Module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition is ON.

NOTE: The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.

Turn the ignition to OFF.

At the Body Control Module (BCM), located in the RH lower kick panel, remove the lower kick panel fuse cover and the RCM fuse 33 (10A) from the BCM . For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagrams manual.

Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag warning indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag warning indicator remains lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag warning indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.

Turn the ignition to OFF.

WARNING: Always deplete the backup power supply before repairing or installing any new front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) component and before servicing, removing, installing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side impact sensors or the restraints control module (RCM). Nearby components include doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches. Refer to the Description and Operation portion of Section 501-20B for location of the RCM and impact sensor(s). To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 1 minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped). Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury or death in the event of an accidental deployment.

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Repowering Procedure

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON.

Install RCM fuse 33 (10A) to the BCM and install the lower kick panel fuse cover.

WARNING: Make sure no one is in the vehicle and there is nothing blocking or placed in front of any airbag when the battery is connected. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

Connect the battery ground cable.

Prove out the RCM as follows:

Turn the ignition from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the ignition back to ON and visually monitor the air bag warning indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag warning indicator will illuminate continuously for approximately 6 seconds and then turn OFF. If an air bag SRS fault is present, the air bag warning indicator will:
— fail to light.
— remain lit continuously.
— flash.

The air bag warning indicator might not illuminate until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the RCM to complete the testing of the SRS . If the air bag warning indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime sounds in a pattern of 5 sets of 5 beeps. If this occurs, diagnose and repair the air bag warning indicator and any SRS faults discovered.

Clear all Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs) from the RCM using a scan tool.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:03 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts have been ordered....

Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Well long story short, order all the connectors. I was able to get the larger pins ordered, just the pin so I could avoid the splicing. The connector behind the wheel, 26p I ordered 2 different types, it is different than other plugs by .2mm and didn’t work. I caved and ordered WPT-1291 so I could wrap it up. But alas! All works and installed. SEM makes some pretty close paints for ford matching. I painted the new wheel inside spokes, vs painting airbag/Horn.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
Well long story short, order all the connectors. I was able to get the larger pins ordered, just the pin so I could avoid the splicing. The connector behind the wheel, 26p I ordered 2 different types, it is different than other plugs by .2mm and didn’t work. I caved and ordered WPT-1291 so I could wrap it up. But alas! All works and installed. SEM makes some pretty close paints for ford matching. I painted the new wheel inside spokes, vs painting airbag/Horn.

WOW..........
I would love a heated wheel....... How much for all the parts ??

Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Wheel and clock spring cost the most, would have to sum it up but just short of 800.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
It might be cheaper to find a complete steering column with wheel from a 2016 Platinum or KR truck. The 2016 should have the SCCM module, correct clock spring and heated steering wheel.

The 2016 would also have the correct clock spring and angle sensor to make the review camera lines bend as you turn.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:03 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Dead batteries

Well, figured I’d share, went out to start truck to do a quick errand, thought it was weird it didn’t remote start. Batteries be dead, as in 10.6V or so after a few attempted glow plug cycles. Last start up was 48hours prior checking out heated wheel. This test was with engine running. So now I am baffled, fuse 34 is switched power, double confirmed. I am at a loss as to what would drain it, first is the new wheel, it has been installed for a week with new clock spring just not powered up. Only adds for this latest round is temp send and return in 26pin connector and power to the unit. Used a fuse tap there. So disconnect is easy. I did read another thread of 50mA for draw when everything is off and asleep. Initially I was shocked to see a 2A draw when first off then it started dropping in steps, at 200mA (also unplugged hood light) is last I saw after about 2 minutes. Instructions are to measure at 30 minutes later. Any confirmation on spec for draw when all off and how long to wait?

I do have lights in the bed, led, couldn’t tell which way was on or off as they didn’t work, so may have left them on

They do appear to be burnt out now, at least the switch light is brighter then the led modules

Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Update: From yesterday to today, check voltage prior to trying to start this morning, a good 12.67, fired right up. I am leaning toward leaving lights on in the bed, driving around this morning though, heated wheel is very nice!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Drove the Grandkid to school this morning....... Minus 15*F
Cold wheel......

Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Considering a new truck or platinum edition for older models is 10x of cost for addition made it an easy choice. Course could be reason for others to upgrade now that lariat ultra has heated wheel.

If you decide to add let me know I can mail you the three pins needed, save ya 60 or so.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by cangim
Considering a new truck or platinum edition for older models is 10x of cost for addition made it an easy choice. Course could be reason for others to upgrade now that lariat ultra has heated wheel.

If you decide to add let me know I can mail you the three pins needed, save ya 60 or so.
Good to hear the upgrade is working and no problems.........

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel DIY?