Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need help to see if wheels will fit?? 54

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
flamesoldier
Senior User
flamesoldier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need help to see if wheels will fit?? 54

I have a 1954 f-100 with front disc brakes and other wise stock wanted to order hot rod hanks smoothie wheel in 15x8 4.25 back spacing will these fit?? Need some guidance

Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
What size disc brakes? What brand brake system? Can't give good answers without good information first.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
flamesoldier
Senior User
I have the cpp 1953-1956 disc brake kit cpp being classic performance parts

Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM
flamesoldier
Senior User
Not too sure of the caliper size but i believe they are dodge aspen rotors and firebird/camaro calipers i believe but its def the cpp kit

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
jaye is starting off with a positive reputation.
If they are the firebird/camaro calipers the rims will fit. Initially I had 15x8 smoothies on my 55 with the camaro calipers & Aspen rotors

Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
I think they will mount up too. To verify interference in a full turn you really need to measure. Install a rim/tire that is anywhere close in size and check it out. You'll get a better idea if it will work.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
flamesoldier
Senior User
Jaye what tire and rim setup did u run?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
I run 15x7 w/ 4.5" backspace without an issue and I have the Chrysler transverse torsion bar (Dodge Diplomat which runs the larger brakes) front end. I added Fatman dropped spindles and still no issue.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
flamesoldier
Senior User
What about 17x7 front and 20x8.5 rear what are everyones thoughts on that size will they fit??

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by flamesoldier View Post
What about 17x7 front and 20x8.5 rear what are everyones thoughts on that size will they fit??
Now we're talking spendy wheels. I'm not getting blamed for this one lol. Serious, find somebody who's running them so you can find out the backspacing, or better yet measure yourself, even if you have to mock up a wheel with plywood and cardboard or whatever. 7s almost always work in the front. If you're slammed, 8s can be a crowd in the stock width rear fenders if you don't get the backspace correct.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 AM
56fromm
Freshman User
56fromm is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put together an excel spreadsheet to help me determine what back spacing I needed as I was trying to figure out what rear axle to run. If you e-mail me I would be happy to share.

It also has some stuff to determine revolutions per mile and rpm at given speeds with different gear ratios and overall tire diameters

Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
4.25" of back space is the maximum I can use. Why not go with 16" to make sure you clear the calipers? I'm in the same dilemma, so pleas post up what you go with and how it works out. I'm running Explorer wheels/tires until I figure it out. The have 4.5" of backspace an I had to add 1/3" spacers to keep them from rubbing the bed. I really need to get a sway-bar in back to take out some of the leaning and then I could probably get away with 4.5". I have a 9" rear, but don't remember the width on it.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 AM
flamesoldier
Senior User
Carnut i have a 57 inch wide mustang 9 inch with that being said i was looking at the rear being my biggest space dilema because the 17x7's should work fine but the 20x8.5 have a -50 offset which is a 2.5 back spacing so was thinking worst case i could roll the fenders if they were close to rubbing cause the deep dish negative offset will have more of the rim away from the bed from rubbing so i wont have to modify bed

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
56fromm
Freshman User
56fromm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by flamesoldier View Post
Carnut i have a 57 inch wide mustang 9 inch with that being said i was looking at the rear being my biggest space dilema because the 17x7's should work fine but the 20x8.5 have a -50 offset which is a 2.5 back spacing so was thinking worst case i could roll the fenders if they were close to rubbing cause the deep dish negative offset will have more of the rim away from the bed from rubbing so i wont have to modify bed
With a 2.5" backspace and a 57" wms to wms on your rear you'll be 3" wider then the bed less the added width of your tire. How low your going will determine your fender clearance.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
flamesoldier
Senior User
I took 3 leaves off each side for the rear it is sappost to yield a 1 inch drop nothing crazy. I figured the fenders are large enough to accommodate the big size wheel if i can keep it away from be size

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help to see if wheels will fit?? 54

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.