6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fluctuating Heater Heat??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM
JustinF08
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok haven't had the "problem" fixed yet but dropped my truck off today to my Mennonite mechanic and he says its common. He says its a vacuum issue. This is hear say so don't jump my *** for being wrong. I'm takin my truck in Friday mornin as soon as we make a tie in weld at work so if your problem persists up until then I'll let you know my outcome. He's gonna replace whatever vacuum hose he's referring to and I'll test it then I'm doin my EGR delete, exhaust, intake, and mini maxx. Hopefully this will be cured and we can all put this to rest.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
I still say pull the t stats and test them..you got one that is sticking.

Just my thoughts.
do you know how the thermostats work on this truck? curious why two, is it just to allow more fluid to move quicker? maybe directs it to different areas of the cooling system?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
My understanding of them is one will open before the other. At full temps both are open.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Jlawhon27
New User
I'm pretty new to diesels just bought a 08 6.4 and I'm having the same problem I have several friends work at ford but there so quick to say head gaskets and one of them has blown head gaskets and his dumps almost a gallon out of the degas bottle when he is in it. Mine has dpf delete h&s xrt on 250 tune I have done lots of research it has new radiator and I just put new hoses on and I got my egr delete today fixing to put it in but mine pukes out of the plug in the degas even with two clamps on it and it only does it when I drive longer distances like 20miles+ and on short distances I can hammer down on it pushing 40lbs of boost and no puking so I don't feel it's gaskets but my heater acts up its been 20-30 degrees in the morning and its starts to get warm and then ice cold and then once up to operating temp it heats back up and when I pull the cap the level rises but it likes to sit right at the lower line on the degas bottle I thought air pockets but I have vacuumed it down when I put new hoses so I'm lost would like to know what you find out

Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlawhon27
I'm pretty new to diesels just bought a 08 6.4 and I'm having the same problem I have several friends work at ford but there so quick to say head gaskets and one of them has blown head gaskets and his dumps almost a gallon out of the degas bottle when he is in it. Mine has dpf delete h&s xrt on 250 tune I have done lots of research it has new radiator and I just put new hoses on and I got my egr delete today fixing to put it in but mine pukes out of the plug in the degas even with two clamps on it and it only does it when I drive longer distances like 20miles+ and on short distances I can hammer down on it pushing 40lbs of boost and no puking so I don't feel it's gaskets but my heater acts up its been 20-30 degrees in the morning and its starts to get warm and then ice cold and then once up to operating temp it heats back up and when I pull the cap the level rises but it likes to sit right at the lower line on the degas bottle I thought air pockets but I have vacuumed it down when I put new hoses so I'm lost would like to know what you find out
I think you are lifting the heads on yours.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Jlawhon27
New User
Just picked up a combustion leak test from my matco guy went and drove it hard and came back did the test and came up negative

Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinF08
Ok haven't had the "problem" fixed yet but dropped my truck off today to my Mennonite mechanic and he says its common. He says its a vacuum issue. This is hear say so don't jump my *** for being wrong. I'm takin my truck in Friday mornin as soon as we make a tie in weld at work so if your problem persists up until then I'll let you know my outcome. He's gonna replace whatever vacuum hose he's referring to and I'll test it then I'm doin my EGR delete, exhaust, intake, and mini maxx. Hopefully this will be cured and we can all put this to rest.
A vaccuum issue? If someone would please elaborate, I am under the impression that the only vaccum these trucks use is for engaging the 4x4 hubs.

And as far as the "different tunes" causing different issues, check what tunes you are running, and what each of their features are.

FOR EG, some spartan tunes use the EGR, others disable it and fluctuate it when idling to prevent it from sticking.

Maybe the tune you were using was flash boiling the coolant out of the EGR coolers, then the new tune disables the EGR, thus eliminating problem.
Of course this wouldn't apply if your EGR coolers are deleted lol.

Also note how different tunes call for different boost levels; my 150 hp and 270 hp tunes ran high amounts of boost, but the 310 runs super low boost, and EGT's seem great for what I do.

Like the 150 hp tune would easily creep up to 30 PSI under light to moderate acceleration, and the 310 tune makes the same power at 15 lbs or so.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
JustinF08
Freshman User
Well guys, I brought it in and right off the bat realized it was low 2 gallons of anti freeze since I flushed it a week ago. Filled it back up an heat came back to normal. Problem is, when they raised the truck up I looked at the driver side head closest to the fire wall and found a leaking head gasket. That's my issue with the heat. Good luck findin y'all's!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
So you didn't blow your head gaskets, they just started leaking coolant to the outside?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
JustinF08
Freshman User
Yea it's blowin coolant to the outside. I didn't do a leak test on it. I was gonna take it to ford so they can fix it under warranty. Do you know if ford will install ARP head studs if I buy them?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JustinF08
Yea it's blowin coolant to the outside. I didn't do a leak test on it. I was gonna take it to ford so they can fix it under warranty. Do you know if ford will install ARP head studs if I buy them?
Technically they shouldn't, but some have managed to persuade them into doing it.

Remember for them to do warranty work, they need to go through the diagnostic procedures, so even though this failure mode might not be caused from a tuner, you might get turned down if you've had a tuner in before.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 PM
JustinF08
Freshman User
I just bought the truck about 4 months ago and never put anything on it. If they try that **** I'll go crazy. I bought an ESP warranty for $3,800 right after the factory warranty went out too. I just want the **** to be fixed for good instead of Ford puttin the ****ty head studs that failed this time!