1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange "rolling" noise

Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
69Bronc
Mountain Pass
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Alright, so I marked and then dropped the rear driveshaft. While the wheels were up in the air without the drive shaft, I spun them by hand and could hear some noise. Couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from - the rotor area or from the diff itself.

Anyway, I put it in 4 wheel drive and took it for a spin. The rolling noise is still there. I guess that this weekend I will pull the calipers off the rear and spin it by hand and see if I can hear any change in the sound. Then I guess I will pull the axles and see what the wheel bearings look like. Then look at the diff? Could the noise be in the t-case or trans? It is there while I am rolling even if I throw the trans into neutral.

I am at a loss here. I really hope this isn't a differential issue. I am beginning to think it was a mistake to buy this truck.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ugh, that blows.

so if you pull the calipers and the noise is still there then it is time to pull the axels and determine if it is wheel bearings or carrier bearings.......or parking brake?

I just had a thought, what of a lining seperated from a shoe on a parking brake? I would investigate the side that has the tight parking break lever first, that sounds fishy.

I dont think you have a diff failure , everytime I have had a diff failure it has gone "click click" then "clunk" accompinied by the smell of burning gear oil.

Don't smell burning gear oil do you?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
69Bronc
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by clem1226
ugh, that blows.

so if you pull the calipers and the noise is still there then it is time to pull the axels and determine if it is wheel bearings or carrier bearings.......or parking brake?

I just had a thought, what of a lining seperated from a shoe on a parking brake? I would investigate the side that has the tight parking break lever first, that sounds fishy.

I dont think you have a diff failure , everytime I have had a diff failure it has gone "click click" then "clunk" accompinied by the smell of burning gear oil.

No, I don't smell burning gear oil. The lining seperation is a new idea.....

Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 AM
howellt39
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
ugh, that blows.

That's a great suggestion, could certainly be a delaminated shoe. I was thinking a broken spring, but either way you'll find out once you get the rotors off.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
You left off the word "expensive".
Yeah, but chances are you will never have to replace rotors again. I did all four rotors and added ceramic pads back in 09. I look at them when I rotate tires. Other than road dust they look new.

Devin, I was gonna respond but these guys took all my suggestions. You will love that truck once you get the bugs fixed.

Just a tip. Make diesel o-rings a favorite.

~good luck, Ralph

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't realize there was 2 pages......... Wrong idea

Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
69Bronc
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I didn't realize there was 2 pages......... Wrong idea

Something I already replaced?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have this same "rolling noise" on the right front wheel area of my truck. It's deffinitely a dull rattle rolling tumble (lol) noise. And more prominant when the passenger side window is down. I also hear the noise rattle when I go over the lane markers at slow speed or a speed bump. I bought the truck 3 months ago and drove it for a month but didn't hear the noise until I had the tires rotated. I also had both front lower ball joints replaced the same day. Now I'm in no way saying it's in the tire but something deffinitely jarred loose when they re-mounted the tires. I've done an inspection on the entire front drive train and brakes with no luck of finding anything loose. Keep this thread pumping full of ideas please.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Originally Posted by mototrig
I have this same "rolling noise" on the right front wheel area of my truck. It's deffinitely a dull rattle rolling tumble (lol) noise. And more prominant when the passenger side window is down. I also hear the noise rattle when I go over the lane markers at slow speed or a speed bump. I bought the truck 3 months ago and drove it for a month but didn't hear the noise until I had the tires rotated. I also had both front lower ball joints replaced the same day. Now I'm in no way saying it's in the tire but something deffinitely jarred loose when they re-mounted the tires. I've done an inspection on the entire front drive train and brakes with no luck of finding anything loose. Keep this thread pumping full of ideas please.
Your problem will probably be a bit different as it's on the front axle, so please post a new thread so we don't hijack Devin's.

Briefly though and assuming you have a 4x4, elevate the suspect wheel and give it a spin with and without the hub manually locked and see if that makes a difference. That'll help isolate the cause.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Sorry about that- I have an 02' F250 4x4 7.3 12" lift on 38's. I set the front end on jacks last weekend and rotated both front wheels. I did it with the hubs locked and unlocked. I didn't hear the sound at all, I only heard the noise when the truck was rolling.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM
69Bronc
Mountain Pass
It might be similar. I could have sworn this sound was coming from the front at first. But I have eliminated everything from up there.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Originally Posted by mototrig
Sorry about that- I have an 02' F250 4x4 7.3 12" lift on 38's. I set the front end on jacks last weekend and rotated both front wheels. I did it with the hubs locked and unlocked. I didn't hear the sound at all, I only heard the noise when the truck was rolling.
Try pulling your ABS sensor and put 5-10 squirts of grease in there. See if lubricating the wheel bearing quiets the noise while the bearing is loaded. Hopefully just a dry bearing and not damaged mechanically.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM
mototrig
Tuned
I'll keep an eye on this post for ideas and post a new thread if I haven't figured mine out. Thanks

Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 69Bronc
Something I already replaced?
Greasing the splines on the ds and checking universals. I went threw 2 universals in less than 10k miles. Turned out the drive shaft was out of balance and was chewing threw them.... Literally I still have one of them in my center council as a conversation piece

Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM
69Bronc
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Greasing the splines on the ds and checking universals. I went threw 2 universals in less than 10k miles. Turned out the drive shaft was out of balance and was chewing threw them.... Literally I still have one of them in my center council as a conversation piece

I dropped my rear driveshaft last night and drove it in front wheel drive last night to see if it was the carrier bearing or rear driveshaft u-joints. The sound was still there even with the rear driveshaft removed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange "rolling" noise